Just diagonised and need a friend to talk too!

Options

My name is constantine and I just had a stereotactic biopsy last friday, the breast clinic called me today and told me that i had pre cancer, at first i was excited thinking i didnt have cancer but than later found that out to be wrong. The nurse said what pre cancer means is that it just hasnt spread and it is localized but i do have cancer. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that i have breast cancer. i know i should be greatful that they told me it is just 1.9 cmm and not spread yet, but still having a hard time coping. I already have a appointment to have a breast mri this saturday and then next wed i see the surgeon. I also was told that i would need radiation for 6 weeks 5 days a week to make sure that it doesnt come back. My mom had breast cancer 3 times and she passed away 2 years ago (not from breast cancer though) and I am really missing her right now and hearing her tell me it will be alright. I have friends and family and a husband who are there for me but it just not the same as my mom. So I am posting this in the hopes of finding some other women out there that are scared and feeling alone in this journey, i guess i am looking for someone too talk to on here that understands what i am going though, i would appreciate any words of advice and feedbacks...thank you for listening and God Bless..

Comments

• Ace44
    Ace44 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    In your shoes

Hi Constatine.  I was diagnosed with dcis in may. I opted for a lumpectomy and radiation. The surgery was a piece of cake for me.  However, I did the genetic testing after the surgery (all I could think of was getting the cancer out) and found out I had a gene mutation. I am now getting a bilateral mastectomy and no longer doing the radiation so I have less chance of a second breast cancer. (I am only 40). I know how scary this all is. I am still scared all of the time though it does get better especially when you have a plan.  I know how over whelming this all can be. My advice is to ask lots of questions to your surgeon and find out all your options. Bring someone with you that can take notes b/c for me about halfway through my appointment I kind of just zoned out because there was so much info given. This site and the wonderful people on it have been a huge help too. Dont be afraid to ask lots of questions to lots of people just to get different opinions. Everyone is willing to answer pretty much everything I have found. I have a great support system too but no one that understands exactly what being diagnosed feels like. Please feel free to ask me any questions you might have. 

April

• elisared
    elisared Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Dear Constatine. I felt like

Dear Constatine. I felt like I got punched in th he stomach since I was told I need a sterotactic biopsy. This was on tues. I am exhausted and scared but I am trying to focus and do the best I can. Talking to woken going thru this or have had biopsy helps me. Fear is a very bad feeling g. I know what to do to help my family but for me it seems fear paralyzes me. Hope for the best. Pray that this woll be taken out and never come back.

• LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    You will be OK.

I am sorry about your diagnosis. It is a scary place t be no matter what stage you are. I was dx at the age of 32 with IDC (had chemo and rads). This was in 2011 and I am doing well so far (thank God!). You will do well too. Radiation goes by fairly quickly. I am glad yours was caught early. I am sorry about your mom. I can imagine how much you're missing her right now. Please know you are not alone. We are here to support you and answer any questions you may have. Always believe you will be OK.

Hugs to you and good luck with everything.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    YOU found a great place for

YOU found a great place for support with people who GET it. My family and friends were there for me too, but when I said x years ago I had radation or x yrs ago I finsihed treatment-they say OH yeah..not really getting it.

I did not find this site until years gone by-but I check in as often as I can.

Welcome-we all understand the ups and downs of this terrible disease.

Denise

• twnkltoz
    twnkltoz Member Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your dx,

I'm so sorry about your dx, but we're here for you! You'll get through this, just like she did. Think about one step at a time, and soon it will feel a little less overwhelming.

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    Hi. I was diagnosed with DCIS

Hi, did they give you a name for the type of cancer you have? IDC, DCIS, ILC, PLCIS etc and what stage you are at?

• constantine1962
    Options

Hi. I was diagnosed with DCIS

Hi, did they give you a name for the type of cancer you have? IDC, DCIS, ILC, PLCIS etc and what stage you are at?

Hi they told me I had dcis and was at stage zero that it looked to be contained in the milk ducts at this point and has not spread into the breast tissue. Tommorrow I am having a breast mri to make sure that they are seeing everything, and I am going to the surgeon on wed for a consultation..So what is your diagnosis? how are you doing? Please let me know..

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options

Hi they told me I had dcis and was at stage zero that it looked to be contained in the milk ducts at this point and has not spread into the breast tissue. Tommorrow I am having a breast mri to make sure that they are seeing everything, and I am going to the surgeon on wed for a consultation..So what is your diagnosis? how are you doing? Please let me know..

I had DCIS in 2010 and had a

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/indexI had DCIS in 2010 and had a double mastectomy on 1/11/11. I chose the mastectomy because after my lumpectomy, I didn't have clean margins and the surgeon drew a picture of all the cancer and precancer (atypical ductal hyperplasia) in my milk ducts. There were dots representing cancer and precancer all over and it would "hit" one part of my duct, then miss, then hit another. Because of this, I decided on the mastectomy. I was scheduled for a presurgical MRI and said if they even suspected cancer in the other breast I would have it removed. The MRI showed a mass in the other breast, but after pathology, it wasn't cancer but was something neede to be removed.

I have been cancer free ever since.

Just as a note... Chemo is NOT standard treatemnt for ONLY DCIS! Here is a good explanation why from another poster from breastcancer.org:

" If you have pure DCIS, you will not need chemo. Chemo is a systemic treatment - it is given to address the risk that cancer cells may have moved into the body (i.e. distant recurrence/mets). Chemo is not given to treat cancer that is only in the breast and DCIS, by definition, is confined to the breast - that's why chemo isn't necessary. If it's found that you have a small amount of invasive cancer (a microinvasion or just slightly larger) along with your DCIS, according to current treatment guidelines you still likely won't be given chemo. This is because the risk of distant recurrence is considered to be too low to warrant such a toxic treatment. If however it's found that you have a larger amount of invasive cancer, then chemo might be required, depending on the size and pathology of the invasive cancer." (https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/68/topic/790992).

Breastcancer.org has a wonderful forum for DCIS. I highly suggest you check it out as well.

There is a special thread for information on DCIS...Here is the link for it:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/68/topic/790992

cancer.org also has some good information about cancer and breast cancer:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/index

• bevaschia
    bevaschia Member Posts: 53
    Options
    HI.  I was diagnosed with

HI.  I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma of right breast.  I have done three rounds of chemo and will have more tests run after the 25th.  My tumor was 3.5 cm at diagnosis and I cannot feel it now, nor can the oncologist.  I will see the surgeon again soon for bilateral mastectomy.  I am triple positive for her2, progesterone, and estrogen.  It is all very overwhelming.  We all know the fear you talk about.  I will do at least 3 rounds of chemo after surgery too.  I don't know what stage I am.  Just grade 3.  I'm so worried it's spread too...but I have to keep taking one step at a time.  Think about an anxiety med.  I got on one and feel a bit calmer.  Good luck to you and think positive.  Medicine has come a long way with BC.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    bevaschia said:

HI.  I was diagnosed with

HI.  I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma of right breast.  I have done three rounds of chemo and will have more tests run after the 25th.  My tumor was 3.5 cm at diagnosis and I cannot feel it now, nor can the oncologist.  I will see the surgeon again soon for bilateral mastectomy.  I am triple positive for her2, progesterone, and estrogen.  It is all very overwhelming.  We all know the fear you talk about.  I will do at least 3 rounds of chemo after surgery too.  I don't know what stage I am.  Just grade 3.  I'm so worried it's spread too...but I have to keep taking one step at a time.  Think about an anxiety med.  I got on one and feel a bit calmer.  Good luck to you and think positive.  Medicine has come a long way with BC.

Bev, I'm triple positive too

Bev, I'm triple positive too and can certainly relate. About worrying about it spreading, have you not had a major body scan? Getting a CT scan and finding out my major organs were clear was a great relief....Hugs, Anna

• Sodonewiththis
    Options
    Hi all,
    I just had to post,I

Hi all,

I just had to post,I know that shock is still so fresh.1st hearing need to go back for "diagnostic mammo" & a breast ultra sound. Guess I kinda failed the diagnostic mammo-cause told no need for ultrasound! As soon as I walked into Radiologist office with my films lighting up room -just knew he was calling me into his office to shake the hand of this sexy woman,lol. He immediately set up stereotactic biopsy appt.2 dayslater,another radiologist telling me "good kind of cancer" DCIS.contact your gp & they will refer you to a surgeon....pardon me,what was that you said. Lol.Everything has gone do quickly with me,guess they know a "runner" when they see one. Saw surgeon 2 weeks later ,than he sent me for breast MRI & scheduled surgery for 9/2/15. Head is still spinning! In other words hang in there Constantine, just breathe,praying is helpful to!

Patty

• bevaschia
    bevaschia Member Posts: 53
    Options
    button2 said:

Bev, I'm triple positive too

Bev, I'm triple positive too and can certainly relate. About worrying about it spreading, have you not had a major body scan? Getting a CT scan and finding out my major organs were clear was a great relief....Hugs, Anna

HI Anna, no...have not had

HI Anna, no...have not had the body scan.  Keeps telling me insurance won't approve it.  

• Kkjmck724
    Kkjmck724 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Constantine,
    I was also dx

Hi Constantine,

I was also dx with DCIS in mid-July. I had a lumpectomy and breast reduction on Aug. 6. I have had problems with incisions healing up, but will finally start radiation in about 2 more weeks. There has been so much going on since my diagnosis seeing different doctors, getting biopsy, placing wires before surgery, then surgery. I feel I have a great team of doctors, though and hope to be cancer free before Thanksgiving. I only have to do 3 weeks of radiation. I questioned the dr about that and he insists 3 weeks is as good as 6 weeks. Good luck to you. Hang in there. It is very overwhelming at times, but you have to keep charging along. We are lucky ours is DCIS!

• Jeannielou
    Jeannielou Member Posts: 11
    Options
    HI

Thank God your dr found it early, I was in remission for 2 years, mine came back in my bones I'm stage 4, not that much thry can do for me, I go for my hormone calcium treatment every month,  mostly for my pain, Had radiation for a tumor on my shoulder ask your dr everything & everything. You are blessed to have your husband I have my boys all grown with families. I miss my mom to she passed from cancer to so did my dad.  Feel blessed and thank God for your husband  cause being alone with this is harder than anyone can know.  No one listen or talk to, I pray for all of us. .  You are welcome to email me, I know what you are going thru.   Jeannie. 

• Ace44
    Ace44 Member Posts: 47
    Options

I had DCIS in 2010 and had a

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/indexI had DCIS in 2010 and had a double mastectomy on 1/11/11. I chose the mastectomy because after my lumpectomy, I didn't have clean margins and the surgeon drew a picture of all the cancer and precancer (atypical ductal hyperplasia) in my milk ducts. There were dots representing cancer and precancer all over and it would "hit" one part of my duct, then miss, then hit another. Because of this, I decided on the mastectomy. I was scheduled for a presurgical MRI and said if they even suspected cancer in the other breast I would have it removed. The MRI showed a mass in the other breast, but after pathology, it wasn't cancer but was something neede to be removed.

I have been cancer free ever since.

Just as a note... Chemo is NOT standard treatemnt for ONLY DCIS! Here is a good explanation why from another poster from breastcancer.org:

" If you have pure DCIS, you will not need chemo. Chemo is a systemic treatment - it is given to address the risk that cancer cells may have moved into the body (i.e. distant recurrence/mets). Chemo is not given to treat cancer that is only in the breast and DCIS, by definition, is confined to the breast - that's why chemo isn't necessary. If it's found that you have a small amount of invasive cancer (a microinvasion or just slightly larger) along with your DCIS, according to current treatment guidelines you still likely won't be given chemo. This is because the risk of distant recurrence is considered to be too low to warrant such a toxic treatment. If however it's found that you have a larger amount of invasive cancer, then chemo might be required, depending on the size and pathology of the invasive cancer." (https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/68/topic/790992).

Breastcancer.org has a wonderful forum for DCIS. I highly suggest you check it out as well.

There is a special thread for information on DCIS...Here is the link for it:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/68/topic/790992

cancer.org also has some good information about cancer and breast cancer:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/index

Hi Cinnamonsmile:

Did you have reconstruction? If so what kind? I had DCIS in the left breast and now for piece of mind am having a bilateral mastectomy (have the ATM gene). Just wondered what your experience was like and if you are happy with the choice you made?

Thanks

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    constantine

you've come to the right place.  I had ILC and LCIS in 2010 at age 61; double mastectomy; no reconstruction, chemo and rads.  I have 2 sisters, one with DCIS 2x, 8 years apart (radiation both times - different breasts) and the other had IDC with lumpectomy, chemo and rads (12 years ago). We are all doing well. 

However, my daughter (age 39) had a stereostatic core biopsy 2 weeks ago which showed she had IDC. She had a MRI last week and was told by surgeon that there are masses (calcification clusters) in both breasts.  She met with plastic surgeon Tuesday and will be having a double mastectomy and reconstruction in 3 weeks.  She too is scared and I'm going to recommend that she join this board.  She has 3 young children - 9, 8 and 2 and is a 2nd grade teacher.

What I want you to remember is we do what is necessary and pray that we get through it without any complications and hope that tomorrow is a better day.

• Kumarie
    Kumarie Member Posts: 1
    Options
    breast cancer

Hello

Your story is exactly like mine. My mum also had a double mastectomy but did not die of cancer. I

had my very first mammogram and lo and behold a lump was discovered. Though mine was less than

one centimetre it was  cancer. I opted for a lumpectomy followed by 6 weeks of radiation. Currently I

Am on an estrogen blocker.

Don't be afraid. There are side effects of radiation. You will experience pain now and again.

You will be required to undergo bĺood tests, pop smears and mammograms in the first 5 years.

Only a small percentage of people experience post op pain.

Will keep in touch

Ķumarie.