The Results are In. Things just got more bizarre.

Options

The thyroid biopsy came back. The doctor said he has two types of cancer in his thyroid... Didn't say what kinds. They had to send his file up to MD Anderson at Cooper and UPenn because they don't know what to do with it. Slow growing, but still bizarre. No mention of anapalastic so we are assuming it is not that. No idea what it is though.

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Try To Not Worry

Unfortunately the waiting game and tests are part of this.  And it can be maddening.  Try not to worry too much, it sounds like the doctors are on top of this and MD Anderson and UPenn are good places with smart people.

Best wishes for good news shortly...

• SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Member Posts: 123
    Options
    NewHere said:

Try To Not Worry

Unfortunately the waiting game and tests are part of this.  And it can be maddening.  Try not to worry too much, it sounds like the doctors are on top of this and MD Anderson and UPenn are good places with smart people.

Best wishes for good news shortly...

Absolutely agree. It would

Absolutely agree. It would just be a damn shame if he beat stage IV colon and rectal cancer (two types of cancer there too) and then had something horrible happen because of his thyroid. Luckily it's not affecting his breathing or talking, and when they looked at his vocal cords they were not involved. 

• NewHere
    Options

Absolutely agree. It would

Absolutely agree. It would just be a damn shame if he beat stage IV colon and rectal cancer (two types of cancer there too) and then had something horrible happen because of his thyroid. Luckily it's not affecting his breathing or talking, and when they looked at his vocal cords they were not involved. 

That Is Good News

About the breathing and vocal cords.  I know a couple of people who beat thyroid cancer and/or cancer where thyroid involved.  (The only people I know who had it, beat it.  One from a DX 8 years ago.)

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I hope I don't sound like a

I hope I don't sound like a dummy but isn't colon cancer and rectal cancer the same thing other than placement?

• NewHere
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

I hope I don't sound like a dummy but isn't colon cancer and rectal cancer the same thing other than placement?

I Am Not An Expert

But there seem to be differences in terms of treatments (radiation for rectal) and survival stats (to the extent the recent stats).  Not sure of differences on cell level, mutations etc.  

Survival 

Treatment

• SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Member Posts: 123
    Options
    JanJan63 said:

That's what I thought, but

That's what I thought, but when they did the biopsies, they were both different and both were Stage IVa. Rectal and colon primary tumors disappeared after one radiation round. Chemo didn't do much, but the mets in the liver are stable. Since they haven't told us what the thyroid is, I can't say if one of them moved up there or not. At this point he is determined to have at least 3 different cancers.