Updated 9/14

UncleBuddy
UncleBuddy Member Posts: 1,019 Member
edited September 2015 in Colorectal Cancer #1

The catherization and possible stent were supposed to be set up for Monday. My sister was supposed to get a call on Friday to confirm the time and be given the steps my brother needs to take. NO CALL! When she called the cardiologist who sent her to the cardiac surgeon, he said she has to wait until Monday morning to speak to the office since it's closed. Really? How is he supposed to be prepped for the surgery without instructions? She called the hospital and they said she has to call the doctor's office. The doctor's office wasn't open.

I had a bad feeling since the surgeon is associated with the hospital that almost killed my brother. This doctor is supposed to be top notch and highly recommended by his (and my) cardiologist. Do you think I'm wrong in telling my sister maybe we should cancel it for Monday and find another surgeon to do it? I am stressed out and am supposed to be on vacation with my family. I almost want to get on a plane and go home, but that's not fair to my family (or me)! It looks like I'm going to be on the phone Monday making calls. Ugh!

Any suggestions?

9/14 update: It ended up that the woman who sets up the procedures at the hospital was changing things around and left him off the schedule, so it would have to be postponed anyway. She called and apologized, but that doesn't help with all the stress we had all weekend. I researched the doctor doing the procedure and he's supposed to be excellent in his field. Unfortunately, this is the only hospital he does this procedure, so we are stuck. He will have it done next Monday. Hopefully things will go smoothly.

Comments

• vtspa6
    vtspa6 Member Posts: 172
    So sorry about this...

Our hospital would always call the day before any surgery and tell us what time to be there and what testing needed to be done before hand.  I think this sucks for your brother and all family involved.  Sometimes I feel like we are all just a number when it comes to doctors!  I think they have too many folks to keep up with and it can get out of hand.  That being said I am still thankful for them.

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member
    I'd call the docs answering

I'd call the docs answering service and demand a call back.  The doctor should know what he needs to do.   If that didn't work I'd probably reschedule with another doctor if it could wait.

good luck!

• UncleBuddy
    vtspa6 said:

So sorry about this...

Our hospital would always call the day before any surgery and tell us what time to be there and what testing needed to be done before hand.  I think this sucks for your brother and all family involved.  Sometimes I feel like we are all just a number when it comes to doctors!  I think they have too many folks to keep up with and it can get out of hand.  That being said I am still thankful for them.

Thanks vtspa6

The cardiologist doing the procedure is supposed to be very good, so we'll just have to hope for the best. He's going in next Monday, so I'll be home from visiting my grandbabies.

Lin

• UncleBuddy
    jen2012 said:

I'd call the docs answering

I'd call the docs answering service and demand a call back.  The doctor should know what he needs to do.   If that didn't work I'd probably reschedule with another doctor if it could wait.

good luck!

Thanks Jen!

My sister called this morning. They messed up with the scheduling at the hospital, so he is rescheduled for next Monday. I'm kind of relieved since I'll be home to make sure they know about all of his disabilities. I just felt so helpless being away while this was going on. The doctor is supposed to be very good, so that makes me feel much better.

Lin

• jen2012
    jen2012 Member Posts: 1,607 Member

Thanks Jen!

My sister called this morning. They messed up with the scheduling at the hospital, so he is rescheduled for next Monday. I'm kind of relieved since I'll be home to make sure they know about all of his disabilities. I just felt so helpless being away while this was going on. The doctor is supposed to be very good, so that makes me feel much better.

Lin

That's good Lin. Relax and

That's good Lin. Relax and enjoy the rest of your trip!  

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    *Deep sigh*

I am so sorry for the added stress, Lin. 

I am glad that you are going to be back home, when he has the surgery. I am sure he will find that a great comfort, along with your dad. I know the frustration of having a procedure cancelled though, and hope that your brother is handling it well. 

Continued prayers. 

Sue - Trubrit

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

Thanks Jen!

Lin

That sounds even better. What

That sounds even better. What a relief other than the longer wait. I've had calls as well as letters well ahead of every test or surgery I've had. Calss are better. A couple of the letters had information that wasn't quite right. Nothing serious but things like that I have to fast when it turned out that I didn't.

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member
    Trubrit said:

*Deep sigh*

I am glad that you are going to be back home, when he has the surgery. I am sure he will find that a great comfort, along with your dad. I know the frustration of having a procedure cancelled though, and hope that your brother is handling it well. 

Continued prayers. 

Sue - Trubrit

Lin

I'm so sorry you had all this extra stress on you, especially during vacation. My first thought when you posted was to run for the nearest exit to another doctor, but then that only delays things more.

I'm glad this is an excellent surgeon, but sorry about the "hospital from he!!". At least you already have a "heads up" about this place and can make sure your brother is cared for properly.

I went through so much of this way less than perfect medical care with Ron & Debbie and I know what a headache it is.

Luv,

Wolfen

• UncleBuddy
    JanJan63 said:

That sounds even better. What

That sounds even better. What a relief other than the longer wait. I've had calls as well as letters well ahead of every test or surgery I've had. Calss are better. A couple of the letters had information that wasn't quite right. Nothing serious but things like that I have to fast when it turned out that I didn't.

Thanks, JanJan

I'm relieved and glad this isn't an emergency situation. I couldn't believe that they dropped the ball. At least he'll feel better that he'll have 2 of his sisters there.

• UncleBuddy
    Trubrit said:

*Deep sigh*

Continued prayers. 

Sue - Trubrit

Thanks Sue!

My brother is very easy-going. I think both he and my dad are  relieved that I'll be there. I think it's for the best!

Lin

• UncleBuddy
    wolfen said:

Lin

I'm so sorry you had all this extra stress on you, especially during vacation. My first thought when you posted was to run for the nearest exit to another doctor, but then that only delays things more.

I'm glad this is an excellent surgeon, but sorry about the "hospital from he!!". At least you already have a "heads up" about this place and can make sure your brother is cared for properly.

I went through so much of this way less than perfect medical care with Ron & Debbie and I know what a headache it is.

Luv,

Wolfen

Thanks Wolfen!

LOL, we almost switched doctors, but the surgeon does have a great reputation. The person who scheduled the procedure felt terrible, she called and apologized. Apparently she was switching some of the people around and left him off the roster by mistake. The cardiologist told my sister nothing like that has ever happened before. The only reason we stayed with the surgeon is our cardiologist spoke highly of him and trusts him and my research has found that he has a great reputation. The hospital is another story, but I will deal with them as soon as I get there. All I have to do is threaten to sue for what happened the last time and they'll be running in circles to please us. It's a shame to have to do that, but I want to make sure he's taken care of.

I'm sorry you have had to deal with so much. I miss JBG's posts. Frown

How have you been doing?

Lin