Home after surgery

Denisedh
Denisedh Member Posts: 28

Well, I had my partial nephrectomy August 25 and got home yesterday.  The worst part was being extremely nauseous right after and having a low grade fever.  Both are better today.surgery pwent well and my kidney function is good enough I can take ibuprofen. Which helps me more than pain killers.  I am feeling much better.  I will get the tumor results next week.  The doctor said the margins w were clear.  Love the teams at huntsman Cancer Institute.  

Comments

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    YAAAY its over and YOU are on
    YAAAY its over and YOU are on the mend~!
    Just a suggestion, you can also use ice/ or dry ice, which I used inside a lumbar wrap I wore.
    Glad you don't need narcotics/opiates.

Keep us informed us informed as to how you are doing, but please do not overdue it k?
    Your insides need to recover and you don't want any hernias.

Sending you a healing hug,
    Jan
  • Excellent news, and it sounds

Excellent news, and it sounds like your recovery is not too bad so far, if ibuprofen is working for you.

• Kdemart15
    Kdemart15 Member Posts: 20
    Didn't realize you had

Didn't realize you had surgery the same day as I did.  That's great your home and doing well!! I was nauseous too for so long long hey gave me a dozen shots in the recovering room but nothing helped.  hope you continue to relax and heal up quickly!

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Kdemart15 said:

Didn't realize you had

Didn't realize you had surgery the same day as I did.  That's great your home and doing well!! I was nauseous too for so long long hey gave me a dozen shots in the recovering room but nothing helped.  hope you continue to relax and heal up quickly!

Glad Kademart your surgery is
    Glad Kademart your surgery is over too.

I believe its the anesthesia that causes some to react with nausea and vomiting too.
    I remember the anesthesiologist said he was giving me an anti-nausea medication
    along with the other meds.

Heal up well, Kademart.
    Warmly, Jan
  • Denisedh
    Denisedh Member Posts: 28
    Jan4you said:

Glad Kademart your surgery is
    Glad Kademart your surgery is over too.

I believe its the anesthesia that causes some to react with nausea and vomiting too.
    I remember the anesthesiologist said he was giving me an anti-nausea medication
    along with the other meds.

Heal up well, Kademart.
    Warmly, Jan

Thanks everyone

I will take it easy.  I get tired easily.  At least I can eat and sleep better than in the hospital.

• Denisedh said:

Thanks everyone

I will take it easy.  I get tired easily.  At least I can eat and sleep better than in the hospital.

I remember my second night

I remember my second night after surgery in the hospital.  Some poor guy was in agonizing pain, screaming bloody murder every 30-40 minutes, and he did not speak English.  I kept hitting the nurse button so he could get attention.  Felt bad for the poor guy.  Once home, I slept in a recliner for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery.  I sleep on my stomach, and I was not comfortable in bed until after a few weeks.

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

I remember my second night

I remember my second night after surgery in the hospital.  Some poor guy was in agonizing pain, screaming bloody murder every 30-40 minutes, and he did not speak English.  I kept hitting the nurse button so he could get attention.  Felt bad for the poor guy.  Once home, I slept in a recliner for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery.  I sleep on my stomach, and I was not comfortable in bed until after a few weeks.

Piece of cake

For us veterans after the diagnosis a recovery without complications is a piece of cake.

Icemantoo

• Shecka1121
    Shecka1121 Member Posts: 117 Member
    icemantoo said:

Piece of cake

For us veterans after the diagnosis a recovery without complications is a piece of cake.

Icemantoo

Glad you are home and surgery

Glad you are home and surgery went well. I wish you a quick recovery.  

• Texasgranny38
    Texasgranny38 Member Posts: 24
    Home sweet home!

Glad you're home and on the road to recovery.  

Just want to pass on what I was told by my docs, that acetaminophen/Tylenol is more gentle on the kidney than ibuprofen.  I was rather disappointed because I have preferred ibuprofen for many years.  I did switch though and it works just fine. 

Prayers sent for a good recovery.

Texas Granny

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member

Home sweet home!

Glad you're home and on the road to recovery.  

Just want to pass on what I was told by my docs, that acetaminophen/Tylenol is more gentle on the kidney than ibuprofen.  I was rather disappointed because I have preferred ibuprofen for many years.  I did switch though and it works just fine. 

Prayers sent for a good recovery.

Texas Granny

Glad you're home and doing

Glad you're home and doing well in your recovery. I was told the same thing about using Tylenol instead of Ibuprofen. NSAIDs are not very gentle on the kidneys. I did switch to Tylenol from the pain meds they sent me home with after about 1 week - 10 days. Initially the morphine drip made me very nauseated so they took me off that after 24 hours and put me on something else. I think it's the combo of anesthesia and meds that is causing the nausea. Feel well and speedy recovery.

• Skagway Jack
    Skagway Jack Member Posts: 224 Member

Glad you are home and the healing is begun.  Take it easy and dont over do it.  Best wishes.

Jack