Pet Scans

Options

How many Pet Scans has anyone had and do you see any relationship betwen radiation and an ischemic colon? TIA

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Lots of X-rays and CT scans

I have lost count as how many CT and x-rays. I have had only one PET/CT but many MRI's. The old saying that you should never have more than 8 CT's in your life no longer applies. I have had more than 12 and know of one person you had 22 CT and has no problems anywhere. As far as ischemic colon I dought it would cause that. I'm no doctor but I have never read that a CT can cause that. Ischemic colitis occurs when blood flow to part of the large intestine (colon) is reduced due to narrowed or blocked blood vessels (arteries). The diminished blood flow provides insufficient oxygen for the cells in your digestive system. It can cause pain and can damage your colon. Ischemic colitis can affect any part of the colon, but most people experience pain on the left side of the belly area (abdomen). That was from the Mayo clinic and they say they use a CT scan to find it.

Hope this helps.http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ischemic-colitis/basics/definition/con-20026677

Bill

• tommyodavey
    tommyodavey Member Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    wmc said:

I have lost count as how many CT and x-rays. I have had only one PET/CT but many MRI's. The old saying that you should never have more than 8 CT's in your life no longer applies. I have had more than 12 and know of one person you had 22 CT and has no problems anywhere. As far as ischemic colon I dought it would cause that. I'm no doctor but I have never read that a CT can cause that. Ischemic colitis occurs when blood flow to part of the large intestine (colon) is reduced due to narrowed or blocked blood vessels (arteries). The diminished blood flow provides insufficient oxygen for the cells in your digestive system. It can cause pain and can damage your colon. Ischemic colitis can affect any part of the colon, but most people experience pain on the left side of the belly area (abdomen). That was from the Mayo clinic and they say they use a CT scan to find it.

Hope this helps.http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ischemic-colitis/basics/definition/con-20026677

Bill

Pet Scans

I've had 4 now.  One before surgery, one after.  A year later one more.  Then was lucky enough to get approved for one last PET at just under the three year mark.  So far so good as far as my health is concerned.  This is the first I've read about any harmful effects occuring from a PET scan.  All the information I get now is from this site due to so much mis-information found by doing an online search.

My surgeon said my insurance company won't approve another one unless my cancer returns.  Stupid is as stupid does.

Tom

• petroglyph
    petroglyph Member Posts: 41
    Options

Pet Scans

I've had 4 now.  One before surgery, one after.  A year later one more.  Then was lucky enough to get approved for one last PET at just under the three year mark.  So far so good as far as my health is concerned.  This is the first I've read about any harmful effects occuring from a PET scan.  All the information I get now is from this site due to so much mis-information found by doing an online search.

My surgeon said my insurance company won't approve another one unless my cancer returns.  Stupid is as stupid does.

Tom

Nice view from your bike. I

Nice view from your bike. I am in the SW as well.

I am not saying there is damage from the PET. Just reaching out for opinions I guess. It creeps me out putting in the radioactive dye in the IV, combined with my gut issues. As we all know the procedures can be a bit "wearing".

Thanks for the reply

• petroglyph
    petroglyph Member Posts: 41
    Options
    wmc said:

Bill

Thanks Bill,I have already

Thanks Bill,

I have already had colon resection, which left me with two hernias, [pretty common]. I'm not blaming the ischemic colon on anything other than bad luck? My understanding of the Pet versus the CT is the difference in the contrast material used. The pet is radioactive versus just dye in the CT

I would have to think for awhile to remember all my CT's? I don't think the MRI's are nuclear medicine at all. 

I was recently at the Mayo, for a pelvic floor mri. Quite the machine, the clearest images I have ever seen.

Going to see the ENT, Mon. He has been lobbying for a new pet. I am 18 months past neck resection for SCC. My guts feel like they are in a knot, combined with pelvic floor disnergia. I am considering another pet, friggin neck hurts from ear to ear, as well as the hernias. Not sure what too try to fix first? Thought I would try to get an idea of what is causing the discomfort, especially before I drop any more money at the dentist, we are on a cash basis there.

Apprecite the reply's. That is certainly a bunch of CT's.

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options

Thanks Bill,I have already

Thanks Bill,

I have already had colon resection, which left me with two hernias, [pretty common]. I'm not blaming the ischemic colon on anything other than bad luck? My understanding of the Pet versus the CT is the difference in the contrast material used. The pet is radioactive versus just dye in the CT

I would have to think for awhile to remember all my CT's? I don't think the MRI's are nuclear medicine at all. 

I was recently at the Mayo, for a pelvic floor mri. Quite the machine, the clearest images I have ever seen.

Going to see the ENT, Mon. He has been lobbying for a new pet. I am 18 months past neck resection for SCC. My guts feel like they are in a knot, combined with pelvic floor disnergia. I am considering another pet, friggin neck hurts from ear to ear, as well as the hernias. Not sure what too try to fix first? Thought I would try to get an idea of what is causing the discomfort, especially before I drop any more money at the dentist, we are on a cash basis there.

Apprecite the reply's. That is certainly a bunch of CT's.

Scan numbers

6 Pet Scans, and of course a CT follows the Pet, so that's 6 CTs. Also have had other CTs over the years for kidney issues, and a couple other things I can't recall- so at least 9 CTs. 

One thing I have noticed of recent is an ache below my left kidney. Comes and goes, and have wondered if it's the intestines. Had a colonoscopy around a year ago, and all looked good, so I figure I'm in the good, but this ache does have me wondering.

kcass

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Kent Cass said:

Scan numbers

6 Pet Scans, and of course a CT follows the Pet, so that's 6 CTs. Also have had other CTs over the years for kidney issues, and a couple other things I can't recall- so at least 9 CTs. 

One thing I have noticed of recent is an ache below my left kidney. Comes and goes, and have wondered if it's the intestines. Had a colonoscopy around a year ago, and all looked good, so I figure I'm in the good, but this ache does have me wondering.

kcass

Same

PET and MRI for the first 4 years two or three times a year, along with CTs and X-rays. I am now 12 years passed my last treatment and all my ENT does now is to scope me every time I go to see her.

I have a ton of side effects from all the radiation treatments and so I told my doctors no more PET scans unless there is a reason and a good reason to have one.

Tim