steroids or chemo port

bevaschia
bevaschia Member Posts: 53

HI.  I have the chemo power port inserted.  It's still a little tender after three weeks.  Took chemo on Friday.  Feel a little swollen on the port side of my neck around the collarbone.  Could this be a side effect of the steroids taken day before, day of and day after chemo, a side effect of the chemo itself or the port?  I don't recall this being an issue when I did chemo number one.  Any thoughts?  Steroid is dexamethasone, chemo is perjeta, taxotere, and herceptin.  I'm triple positive.

Comments

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    swelling

That kind of specific swelling near the port sounds more like an issue with the port than a side effect of the drugs. Call your Dr and have it checked out.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    ??

"feel a little swollen on the port side of my neck"........??  Not sure what that could be....where is your port implanted?  My port was in the upper right side of my chest just under my right collarbone and I can't remember ever having swelling in my neck or soreness in my neck.   I agree with Puffin....be sure to call your doctor and get it checked out.  Aren't all chemo drugs steroids?  Either way...please let us know what they say and sending prayers for strength and answers and hope the soreness goes away.   Glo

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Check with Dr!

When ssomething is bothering you - contact your Dr.

• Puffin2014
    GlowMore said:

??

"feel a little swollen on the port side of my neck"........??  Not sure what that could be....where is your port implanted?  My port was in the upper right side of my chest just under my right collarbone and I can't remember ever having swelling in my neck or soreness in my neck.   I agree with Puffin....be sure to call your doctor and get it checked out.  Aren't all chemo drugs steroids?  Either way...please let us know what they say and sending prayers for strength and answers and hope the soreness goes away.   Glo

steroids are a supplement to chemo

Glo, chemo and steroids are 2 different classes of meds. Steroids are often given with chemo to decrease some of the side effects of chemo, but then bring their own side effects to the party.

• Puffin2014
    GlowMore said:

??

Glo, chemo and steroids are 2 different classes of meds. Steroids are often given with chemo to decrease some of the side effects of chemo, but then bring their own side effects to the party.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member

Thanks Puffin

Thanks Puffin....I just looked up exactly what I had and found that the Cytoxan is an Alkalating Agent classified as Nitrogen Mustard.....that the F-Fluorouracil (5-FU) was an Antimetabolite...and that the Adrimycin is called an Anti Tumor AntiBiotic....  mmmm   That RED DEVIL Adrimycin was something else.    Anyway......reading what they can do besides kill the cancer is not happy reading for anybody but Praise God we have these drugs today and all the other ones which are saving so many.  

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    GlowMore said:

Thanks Puffin

Thanks Puffin....I just looked up exactly what I had and found that the Cytoxan is an Alkalating Agent classified as Nitrogen Mustard.....that the F-Fluorouracil (5-FU) was an Antimetabolite...and that the Adrimycin is called an Anti Tumor AntiBiotic....  mmmm   That RED DEVIL Adrimycin was something else.    Anyway......reading what they can do besides kill the cancer is not happy reading for anybody but Praise God we have these drugs today and all the other ones which are saving so many.  

Dexamethasone

Dex, besides helping with SEs can also be a pain med tbat works when nothing else will.  Approx. a yr after TX I developed a horrendous headache - never get headaches.  I tried vicodin and oxy with no relief at all.  Did some research on Dex  as I still had a couple.  Took 1 and pain and was gone (for hours).  Happened to be at a Retreat where my PA was also.  Talked with her and got in quickly for an Eye Dr appt and a head MRI.  Nothing showed - it was thought that a nerve had gotten 'irritated' -so took Dex for 3 weeks.  It allowed the nerve to 'calm down' and have not had another headache in almost 5yrs.