Does anyone live in NorthEastern Nevada

Options
Rubymtncowgirl
Rubymtncowgirl Member Posts: 12
edited August 2015 in Breast Cancer #1

Does anyone live in Northeastern Nevada or around this area?  I'm in need of a second opinion, my family disagrees completely and I can't drive. Would pay your gas of course. Just need someone's help, please?

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Wish I was closer

I'm in Western So Dak (Black Hills area)/so quite a ways away.  

Call your local/nearest ACS and ask about getting a ride.  They have (or at least did have about 5 yrs ago) that finds volunteers who give rides to appts, chemo, rads, etc.  I gave daily rides for a young man who had a recurrence of a cancer and he was not allowed to drive.  So I drove him for 6 weeks as he was staying in the Base Lodge and I had an ID (Hubby is retired USN) so it was not a problem for me to get on Base.

You could also try calling the Breast Cancer Navigator at the facility you are going to - they are a wealth of information and help.

Have you asked for help through your Church?  They are often a fantastic source of help - mine is.

I did read your Profile and at least a second opinion seems in order to me.  

Don't our horses give us so much through any challenge?  Mine did/do.  What breed(s) and disciplines do you have/do?  Do you show?  

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Road to Recovery

What a pickle to be in. I'm sorry your family is not being more supportive. The American Cancer Society has a program called Road to Recovery. You can find out more about it on their website. Basically it is a group of volunteers who provide transportation to cancer patients who are unable to drive and get themselves to and from appointments. Sounds just like what you need. I hope they have someone available in your area.

IRENE

• Rague
    Options

Road to Recovery

What a pickle to be in. I'm sorry your family is not being more supportive. The American Cancer Society has a program called Road to Recovery. You can find out more about it on their website. Basically it is a group of volunteers who provide transportation to cancer patients who are unable to drive and get themselves to and from appointments. Sounds just like what you need. I hope they have someone available in your area.

IRENE

YUP - Road To Recovery

YUP - Road To Recovery!  (I couldn't  think of the name.). It was so fantastic to do - unfortunately my young guy lost his battle, but boy did he fight.

Susan

• Rubymtncowgirl
    Options
    Rague said:

Wish I was closer

I'm in Western So Dak (Black Hills area)/so quite a ways away.  

Call your local/nearest ACS and ask about getting a ride.  They have (or at least did have about 5 yrs ago) that finds volunteers who give rides to appts, chemo, rads, etc.  I gave daily rides for a young man who had a recurrence of a cancer and he was not allowed to drive.  So I drove him for 6 weeks as he was staying in the Base Lodge and I had an ID (Hubby is retired USN) so it was not a problem for me to get on Base.

You could also try calling the Breast Cancer Navigator at the facility you are going to - they are a wealth of information and help.

Have you asked for help through your Church?  They are often a fantastic source of help - mine is.

I did read your Profile and at least a second opinion seems in order to me.  

Don't our horses give us so much through any challenge?  Mine did/do.  What breed(s) and disciplines do you have/do?  Do you show?  

Susan

Thank you for your wealth of information

Susan, thank you for responding. I so wish we lived closer as well, come on this way lol. I've checked the Road to Recovery, not an option. They don't even show any people in Nevada at all. So that leaves me out. 

No worries about reading my profile, if I can have someone read my profile and get anything out of it. Then that's a good thing. 

I haven't thought about asking at my church. We live in such a rural isolated area that I feel bad about possibly imposing on someone I think I will pray on it and follow the guidance on it. 

Oh my horses they are my heart and soul. We have 10 in my husbands cavey. 2 are mine. They are AQHA. And rock solid I use to show and loved every mi ute of it. Now I can barley get my leg over there rump, but when I can I still enjoy riding as long as I can. Do you have horses?  Do you show as well? Or ranching?

ive never been to the Black Hills, what's it like there?

well thank you again for responding. God Bless you, Susan

Gracie

• Rubymtncowgirl
    Options

Road to Recovery

IRENE

Road to Recovery

Irene

Thank you for sending me the information about the Road to Recovery. Sadly in my state and the area in my state they have no one to turn to. I sure wish that I was not sick because I would volunteer in our area. 

God Blesd you for helping

Gracie

• Rague
    Options

Thank you for your wealth of information

Susan, thank you for responding. I so wish we lived closer as well, come on this way lol. I've checked the Road to Recovery, not an option. They don't even show any people in Nevada at all. So that leaves me out. 

No worries about reading my profile, if I can have someone read my profile and get anything out of it. Then that's a good thing. 

I haven't thought about asking at my church. We live in such a rural isolated area that I feel bad about possibly imposing on someone I think I will pray on it and follow the guidance on it. 

Oh my horses they are my heart and soul. We have 10 in my husbands cavey. 2 are mine. They are AQHA. And rock solid I use to show and loved every mi ute of it. Now I can barley get my leg over there rump, but when I can I still enjoy riding as long as I can. Do you have horses?  Do you show as well? Or ranching?

ive never been to the Black Hills, what's it like there?

well thank you again for responding. God Bless you, Susan

Gracie

Did you just look on line for

Did you just look on line for Road to Recovery or call the clowest ACS office and ask?  I had put my information in with RtR but it didn't get sent out.  I happened to stop at the local ACS and mention that I had not heard anything back - they didn't have me listed and were trying to find ones who could give rides to the young man.  He was staying on an AFB which can be a bit problematic to get on unless you have a military ID - I do (Hubby is retired USN) so it worked out great.  I met a fantastic young man.  Heavenly Father works in many ways.

'You' would not be 'impossing' on anyone who offers help.  You said you would volunteer - so would you think when you did you were being 'imposed on'.  If yes then 'one' shouldn't volunteer.

I've had horses my entire life.  As soon as NanDad and Mom found out they were going to become grand dad and g-grand mom (I was the first amd only G or GG child they lived to see) they started finding my first mare before I was born.  

Susan

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

Road to Recovery

Irene

Thank you for sending me the information about the Road to Recovery. Sadly in my state and the area in my state they have no one to turn to. I sure wish that I was not sick because I would volunteer in our area. 

God Blesd you for helping

Gracie

Hi Ruby

I just read your Home Page also and hope you find the help you are seeking.  One story I would like to share with you is one told by a young man who came to a Cancer Support Group I went to at the Hospital about a year after my Diagnosis.. ....he had been told the same thing by his Doctors that yours told you....and he said that made him ANGRY...so he ignored what they told him and he sought new doctors & new ideas.  He also said that had happened to him about 7 years prior ...(he had Brain Cancer)...and that he found a doctor back then in Chicago who was experimenting with a thing called a "Gamma Knife" and that young man had the 3rd Gamma Knife surgery in America at that time.   He encouraged all of us to seek answers and to never give up.  He also said that he did not plan any longer but simply tried to live his life Daily.   I found Hope in his story....that was about 2003 I think and anyway....just wanted to share it.   Sending Prayers for Strength & Courage.  Glo 

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Hi Ruby

I just read your Home Page also and hope you find the help you are seeking.  One story I would like to share with you is one told by a young man who came to a Cancer Support Group I went to at the Hospital about a year after my Diagnosis.. ....he had been told the same thing by his Doctors that yours told you....and he said that made him ANGRY...so he ignored what they told him and he sought new doctors & new ideas.  He also said that had happened to him about 7 years prior ...(he had Brain Cancer)...and that he found a doctor back then in Chicago who was experimenting with a thing called a "Gamma Knife" and that young man had the 3rd Gamma Knife surgery in America at that time.   He encouraged all of us to seek answers and to never give up.  He also said that he did not plan any longer but simply tried to live his life Daily.   I found Hope in his story....that was about 2003 I think and anyway....just wanted to share it.   Sending Prayers for Strength & Courage.  Glo 

I am glad you found help

I think even family disagree they must drive you everythwhere you like especially you are disable and sugfering from pain. Goo luck with second opinion and keep us posted.

Hugs

• Rubymtncowgirl
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Hi Ruby

Glo
    thank you for sharing his

Glo

thank you for sharing his story, wow. I keep trying to keep my head up and trying to take life one day at a time. I'm beginning to forgive my family for not being as supportive as I need them to be. Again, thank you. 

• Rubymtncowgirl
    Options

I am glad you found help

I think even family disagree they must drive you everythwhere you like especially you are disable and sugfering from pain. Goo luck with second opinion and keep us posted.

Hugs

New Flower thank you for your

New Flower thank you for your support. God Blesd