What do you do with the "radioactive trash" after RAI treatments?

Options
BT Mama
BT Mama Member Posts: 10

What did everyone do with the kitchen trash like the paper plates, cups, plastic drinking bottles, etc that were used during the RAI isolation time.  Somewhere I read that after a certain amount of time they weren't radioactive any more but I cant find that article. 

Comments

• Baldy
    Baldy Member Posts: 243
    Options
    Radioactive Trash

Hi,

Most of the radioactivite iodine (I-131) that your body gets rid of is in your urine.  This is well over 90% if I remember correctly (I did this almost four years ago) which is why they tell men to urinate sitting down, less splash.  Also, if I remember correctly, almost all of this is gone after 48 hours, which is why they wait this long to do the uptake scan.  There is a small amount that is lost in feces, sweat and saliva, but these are very small.  I think as long as the waste is contained, double bagged maybe, you can get rid it.  What you are trying to prevent is someone from ingesting any I-131 that you have egested one way or another.  The radiation by itself isn't that dangerous, it's when its ingested and absorbed by a healthy thyroid that it can cause trouble.  Large amounts of I-131 kill thyroid cells (healthy or cancerous), very small amounts can cause healthy thyroid cells to become cancerous, so again your trying to prevent someone from ingesting the I-131 you've egested.

Hope this helps and explains!

Alan

• BT Mama
    BT Mama Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Radioactive waste

Thank you so much Alan. I appreciate your time.

Carol

• butterfly501
    butterfly501 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Well, you make as less trash

Well, you make as less trash as possible.  No reason for paper dishware or utensils; handwash what you use.

Flush tp & kleenex.

You really shouldn't have anything to throw away.

• butterfly501
    butterfly501 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Well, you make as less trash

Well, you make as less trash as possible.  No reason for paper dishware or disposable utensils; handwash what you use.

Flush tp & kleenex.

You really shouldn't have anything to throw away.