Granulation tissue biopsy after surgery

I was diagnosed with Endometrial Adenocarcinoma Grade 1 in March, and I had a hysterectomy with da Vinci robot on April 17 (Stage Ia).  I've felt fine since then and had no problems/symptoms. Yesterday I saw my oncologist for a follow-up. He said I have what appears to be "granulation tissue" at the top of the vaginal cuff. I asked what granulation tissue is, and he said it's just my body over-healing itself and that he was cleaning it up with a swab. Then he asked his nurse for biopsy forceps. I asked why he was doing a biopsy, and he said just to be 100% sure that's all it is. After the biopsy, he applied a silver nitrate stick. I was told the biopsy results won't be back until the end of next week at the earliest.

Has anyone else had a biopsy done on (probable) granulation tissue after surgery?

Comments

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Granulation tissue

Jenna, granulation tissue is a good thing in that this is how our bodies heal wounds. Sometimes, though there may be an over-production of this tissue. I think your doc just wants to make certain that is all that is going on. I doubt if it is cancer as it is not likely but he just wants to be certain of that. You'll be fine.

Cathy

• Virgil90012
    Virgil90012 Member Posts: 35 Member
    Granulation tissue biopsy

i had a granulation tissue biopsy performed about 3 months after my hysterectomy.  My Gyno-oncologist said the same to me as yours did.  He said he just wanted to make sure but from the appearance, he didn't believe it was a recurrence.  He called me a week later to tell me that the biopsy was negative.  Just like you, after he took the tissue sample, he applied the silver nitrate stick.  I was diagnosed with Stage 1a grade 2 adenocarcinoma in October 2014.  I hope my story gives you a little piece of mind.  Good luck.

Cathy

• HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    I had granulation, too

I had granulation, too.  Treated just as yours was and it never caused any further problems.  Apparently it's very common and just the body's way of overhealing.  In horses, in the UK, we call it "proud flesh" when a wound overheals! 

Kindest wishes
    Helen xx

• Jenna71
    Jenna71 Member Posts: 2
    Good news

I got my biopsy results today - granulation tissue only with no sign of malignancy.

Thank you to Cathy, Cathy, and Hellie for replying.  I hope everything is going well for you ladies!

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    Jenna71 said:

Good news

I got my biopsy results today - granulation tissue only with no sign of malignancy.

Thank you to Cathy, Cathy, and Hellie for replying.  I hope everything is going well for you ladies!

Jenna, that's wonderful news!

Wishing you only the very best in life! News like this is just fabulous!

Hugs,

Cathy

• Virgil90012
    Virgil90012 Member Posts: 35 Member
    Jenna71 said:

Good news

Great News

That is great news.  All the best to you. 

• HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
    Jenna71 said:

Good news

Great news!

Great news!  So pleased it turned out to be just granulation. 

Kindest wishes
    Helen xx

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,677 Member
    HellieC said:

Great news!

Great news!  So pleased it turned out to be just granulation. 

Kindest wishes
    Helen xx

Pleased

to hear the good news

• Mainelover
    Mainelover Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2019 #10
    Granulation tissue

I saw my Gyn Oncologist today for my first 6 month follow up after a complete hysterectomy due to Endometrial Cancer. The doctor discovered granulation tissue. Similar to others' experiences he removed that tissue, cauterized it with silver nitrate & took biopsies. He says it doesn't look like cancer but he just wants to be sure. Expect results in about a week. Glad to hear from many of you that your biopsies were negative.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

Granulation tissue

I saw my Gyn Oncologist today for my first 6 month follow up after a complete hysterectomy due to Endometrial Cancer. The doctor discovered granulation tissue. Similar to others' experiences he removed that tissue, cauterized it with silver nitrate & took biopsies. He says it doesn't look like cancer but he just wants to be sure. Expect results in about a week. Glad to hear from many of you that your biopsies were negative.

Granulation tissue biopsy

Mainelover,

While I haven't had the granulation tissue you have, I'm glad you found some answers from current and past members. Please stop by again to let us know the results of your biopsy.