Question

Ok so a little about me Aug of 2012 I was Diagnosed with breast cancer at first when I went in the Dr said that it was more than likely nothing to worry about but still good that I was checking I had a lump that could be felt the Dr said it was more than likely a fibroid after the biopsy I was told that it was DCIS and that was the easiest to treat however when they removed it it turned out to be stage 111A the tumor has grown to 5.5 CM and 2 lymph nodes where involved. My cancer was hormone receptor positive and high grade 3 after Chemo and radiation and Herceptin I was treated with Tamoxifen I had some side effects that lead to me stopping the Tamoxifen. Now the past 4 months I have been having my period every two weeks heavy flow 6 days at a time. The dr did some blood a pap smear all turned out normal so she had me go for a ultrasound with a transvaginal ultrasound. The results showed 2 fundal fibroids measuring 2.6x1.6x2.0 CM and1.1x0.7x1.2 CM both slightly indenting the endometrial stripe and a small myometrial cyst of 2.2 MM the endometrial stripe was 6.0MM directly after my period ended so I asked for a biopsy to be done the dr said she understood but was referring me to a GYN to go over my options I just called and was told the soonest I could be seen is Oct 13th almost 2 months from now and that’s just to be seen God knows how log for a Biopsy I know that they are assuming that this is just a Fibroid but for me that seems Like a Gamble and in the meen time not only do I still have the symptoms I still have the worry should I try to find anouther Dr so I can be seen sooner or is it ok to just say well they are not worried about it and wait the 2 months to be seen?

Comments

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Get a referral to a gynocological oncologist

They are best equipped to deal with issues under the belt so to speak.  Pap smears aren't always the best test for female cancers, I know in my case mine was clear.  But I had aggressive uterine cancer.  Keep us posted.  Be strong and your own advocate!  Anne

• pam0422
    pam0422 Member Posts: 25
    AWK said:

Get a referral to a gynocological oncologist

They are best equipped to deal with issues under the belt so to speak.  Pap smears aren't always the best test for female cancers, I know in my case mine was clear.  But I had aggressive uterine cancer.  Keep us posted.  Be strong and your own advocate!  Anne

I second Anne's suggestion

I am in total agreement with Anne's advice to see a gynecological oncologist as soon as you can get in.

• Abbycat2
    Abbycat2 Member Posts: 644 Member
    pam0422 said:

I second Anne's suggestion

I am in total agreement with Anne's advice to see a gynecological oncologist as soon as you can get in.

I agree

Definitely see a gynecologic oncologist for the best possible assessment and treatment, if necessary. I would not wait until October. From the time I had slight spotting to my hysterectomy was 1 month. 

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Ask your Drs office to call

And set up an appointment with a gyn onc.  Sometimes they can get it done a lot faster.  Hope everything goes well for you.  hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Lou Ann M said:

Ask your Drs office to call

And set up an appointment with a gyn onc.  Sometimes they can get it done a lot faster.  Hope everything goes well for you.  hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

Suggestion

Something that might move things forward a little more quickly for you is to ask your medical oncologist (for breast cancer) to make the referral for you to a gyn oncologist.  It is not uncommon to have both breast and endometrial cancers over the course of your lifetime and a known side effect of Tamoxifen is endometrial cancer.  And there are a million reasons why you're having unusual periods, none of which are cancer.  Your med onc should be aware of your bleeding and the fact that you are no longer taking Tamoxifen.  Thinking s/he might expedite referral to either gyn/oncologist or regular gynecologist for a biopsy so you can put your mind at ease. 

Best of luck.

Suzanne

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member

Suggestion

Something that might move things forward a little more quickly for you is to ask your medical oncologist (for breast cancer) to make the referral for you to a gyn oncologist.  It is not uncommon to have both breast and endometrial cancers over the course of your lifetime and a known side effect of Tamoxifen is endometrial cancer.  And there are a million reasons why you're having unusual periods, none of which are cancer.  Your med onc should be aware of your bleeding and the fact that you are no longer taking Tamoxifen.  Thinking s/he might expedite referral to either gyn/oncologist or regular gynecologist for a biopsy so you can put your mind at ease. 

Best of luck.

Suzanne

Brenda,

don't wait even a day.

My Gyn was thinking I have fibroids for years and never mentioned the word cancer...It turned out I have stage 4 endometrial adenocarcinoma.

If he just mentioned this word to me I would take care, but I trusted him.

• DrienneB
    DrienneB Member Posts: 182
    Gynecological Oncologist for Biopsy

As soon as you can.

1. Wiser to rule out cancer with a biopsy

2. Safer to have a Gynecological Oncologist perform the biopsy

-j

• Brenda42
    Brenda42 Member Posts: 4
    DrienneB said:

Gynecological Oncologist for Biopsy

As soon as you can.

1. Wiser to rule out cancer with a biopsy

2. Safer to have a Gynecological Oncologist perform the biopsy

-j

So I called my Oncologist

So I called my Oncologist that I saw for my Breast cancer I already have a follow up scheduled with him for Sept. about getting a referral for a GYN Oncologist. he was not in but the social worker who worked closely with me during my breast cancer was she sent a message to my Dr his RN and the GYN Oncologist that is in the same department she said that it was not unreasonable for me to want to have this issue taken care of sooner rather than later and she understood why I preferred to be seen by a GYN ONC. so hopefully I will hear something soon I am sure it will be sooner then I was going to have to wait one way or the other. Thanks for your advice and support this has been making me feel like a crazy person so hearing from you and you not just blowing me off and saying its nothing makes me feel better. Dont get me wrong I hope it is nothing but it worries me and I hate when people try to down play my concern when this could be serius and growing. Thank you and sending healing thoughts and wishes to all of you.

Brenda

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Brenda42 said:

So I called my Oncologist that I saw for my Breast cancer I already have a follow up scheduled with him for Sept. about getting a referral for a GYN Oncologist. he was not in but the social worker who worked closely with me during my breast cancer was she sent a message to my Dr his RN and the GYN Oncologist that is in the same department she said that it was not unreasonable for me to want to have this issue taken care of sooner rather than later and she understood why I preferred to be seen by a GYN ONC. so hopefully I will hear something soon I am sure it will be sooner then I was going to have to wait one way or the other. Thanks for your advice and support this has been making me feel like a crazy person so hearing from you and you not just blowing me off and saying its nothing makes me feel better. Dont get me wrong I hope it is nothing but it worries me and I hate when people try to down play my concern when this could be serius and growing. Thank you and sending healing thoughts and wishes to all of you.

Brenda

Hang in there!

You handled it perfectly.  Keep busy doing things you love and make sure they get back to you.  It sounds like you are on track!  Hang tough and keeping you in my prayers.  Anne

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Brenda42 said:

Brenda

Way to go

Brenda.  Hoping that you hear back soon.  Keep after them if they don't get back to you.  

Chris

• Brenda42
    Editgrl said:

Way to go

Brenda.  Hoping that you hear back soon.  Keep after them if they don't get back to you.  

Chris

I go in tomorrow for a

I go in tomorrow for a consult with the GYN Onc at 4 PM. the social worker realy did the trick and she got it done in about 24 hrs.

thanks to everyone for the sugestions and the support

Brenda

• Brenda42
    I go to see the GYN Onc today

So I have gotten to the point where I have gotten use to bleeding every two weeks I call it my second period but this month my second has not came yet my last period ended on the 8th of the month and the way my period has been going I would of had my second period by now I have been getting more cramping and more of the white discharge this month should I take this as a good sign has anyone else had the spotting extra bleeding that first caused them to seek attention stop? I over analyze everything  

• Sandy3185
    Sandy3185 Member Posts: 229 Member
    Brenda42 said:

I go to see the GYN Onc today

So I have gotten to the point where I have gotten use to bleeding every two weeks I call it my second period but this month my second has not came yet my last period ended on the 8th of the month and the way my period has been going I would of had my second period by now I have been getting more cramping and more of the white discharge this month should I take this as a good sign has anyone else had the spotting extra bleeding that first caused them to seek attention stop? I over analyze everything  

Drs appt

I hope your appointment went well today. As far as overanylizing goes, I think we all do that! Every time I'm not feeling well, I'm afraid it's a reoccurrence. As far as the bleeding and white discharge, I would be worried too. Both can be attributed to other things, but I was having a clear discharge that grew heavier and heavier for several months before I went to the doctor. I thought it was a urine leakage! But then I bled heavily one night and went to the doctor the next day. When they did the ultrasound I also had a thickening of the uterus. My gyn did a D&C and I was diagnosed with uterine and cervical UPSC.  I hope this will not be the case for you! I am glad you are not waiting until October, and I'm sure speaking with doctor today has helped you sort things out and given you some direction. Hoping it turns out to be something minor, Sandy