Fingernail & toenail helps during chemo

Options
KristiF
KristiF Member Posts: 8

My Mom has bc and has said several folks had issues with their nails during chemo.  

Other than tea tree oil - can anyone offer some suggestions to help? Thk u!

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    What worked great for me

What worked great for me during Chemo (4 DD A/C and 12 weekly Taxol) was OPI Nail Envy.  A sample was given at the Look Good Feel Better class.  I had no nail problems during neoadjuvant and adjuvant chemo.  It is not cheap (last I bought was about $35) and after all the yrs still use it.  A bottle lasts me 9 months.   It must be gotten from a quality Salon - not WalMart/KMart - but definitely worked for me.

• KristiF
    Options
    Rague said:

What worked great for me

What worked great for me during Chemo (4 DD A/C and 12 weekly Taxol) was OPI Nail Envy.  A sample was given at the Look Good Feel Better class.  I had no nail problems during neoadjuvant and adjuvant chemo.  It is not cheap (last I bought was about $35) and after all the yrs still use it.  A bottle lasts me 9 months.   It must be gotten from a quality Salon - not WalMart/KMart - but definitely worked for me.

Nail help - Any other tips?

Thank you so very much!!!

Is there a list of "tips" for ailments such as this somewhere?  I would love to start one that could be universally added to if not.

Thanks again! 

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

What worked great for me

OPI Nail Envy?

Who makes it Susan?  and what exactly is it ?  A nail polish or a cream or what?

I just used the Vit E oil on my nails but they broke off to the quick and got stripes ....and still are very brittle even after 13 years.  

• Rague
    Options
    GlowMore said:

OPI Nail Envy?

Who makes it Susan?  and what exactly is it ?  A nail polish or a cream or what?

I just used the Vit E oil on my nails but they broke off to the quick and got stripes ....and still are very brittle even after 13 years.  

Nail Envy is made by OPI.  It

Nail Envy is made by OPI.  It is a clear nail strengthener that can be used alone or as a base/top coat.  When doing chemo, I put a new coat on daily (that's what I was told to do at the Look Good Feel Better class) and would remove it weekly and start over.

I really did not think it would do any good at all.  I have always had really crapppy nails (thin, brittle, all polish would peel of in 'sheets' - get the picture?)   Well - to my surprise it did not peel off at all, nails got much better - on chemo.  I still use it today and nails are still decent to good.

It is not cheap like 'Sally Hansen Hard As Nails' (which just peels off) but as far as I'm concerned it's well worth the price, last I bought was about $ 35, for 9 mths of use.  It is available at some better hair and nail salons.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Nail Envy is made by OPI.  It

Nail Envy is made by OPI.  It is a clear nail strengthener that can be used alone or as a base/top coat.  When doing chemo, I put a new coat on daily (that's what I was told to do at the Look Good Feel Better class) and would remove it weekly and start over.

I really did not think it would do any good at all.  I have always had really crapppy nails (thin, brittle, all polish would peel of in 'sheets' - get the picture?)   Well - to my surprise it did not peel off at all, nails got much better - on chemo.  I still use it today and nails are still decent to good.

It is not cheap like 'Sally Hansen Hard As Nails' (which just peels off) but as far as I'm concerned it's well worth the price, last I bought was about $ 35, for 9 mths of use.  It is available at some better hair and nail salons.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

Thank you Susan

That sounds like an excellent product....but wow ...pretty pricey for sure.

Tips during chemo?....the only time I almost felt like I was dying was once after chemo when I came home that day and went to sleep and did not eat dinner....when I woke up I was so nauseous that I knew if I started to throw up I would die right there in the bedroom.......just about my darkest hour...but I called out to God to help me and made it through.  So I would say one tip is be sure to eat something after chemo  :)  and take all your nausea pills etc......  I was told not to eat citrus and not to get near living plants at all during chemo....and to stay out of the sun....   Love and Prayers... Glo

• Rague
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Thank you Susan

Tips during chemo?....the only time I almost felt like I was dying was once after chemo when I came home that day and went to sleep and did not eat dinner....when I woke up I was so nauseous that I knew if I started to throw up I would die right there in the bedroom.......just about my darkest hour...but I called out to God to help me and made it through.  So I would say one tip is be sure to eat something after chemo  :)  and take all your nausea pills etc......  I was told not to eat citrus and not to get near living plants at all during chemo....and to stay out of the sun....   Love and Prayers... Glo

I have to agree - eating can

I have to agree - eating can be an issue!  I lost all sense of taste and smell and appetite on chemo.   It wasn't that anything tasted bad - it just had no taste at all.  I just never thought about eating or got hungry.  Hubby would call me several times a day to remind me to eat something which I would when reminded.  I kept hard boiled eggs in the frig for the protein in them.

I always had a cup of soup before chemo (the center had soup, crackers, fruit, beverages for all).  Never had any nausea at all.  Was told not to eat/drink any grapefruit but other citrus was fine - pomegrantes and pineapple were also an a no-no.  Dried garlic suppliments were also a no-no but it was fine to use fresh garlic in cooking.  Never heard anything about not being around living plants - I had/have lots of plants.

• KristiF
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Thank you Susan

Thank you Susan & Glo

My mom has been dx with TNBC, and had her 2nd chemo tx yesterday.  She said she put Tea Tree Oil on her nails yesterday, and that this morning they looked even better.   I personally use the Opi Nail Envy and it is awesome.  I have found it at local nail salons, and even those within Walmart for $17.00.  They sell a matte finish, but I prefer the Original Opi Nail Strengthener in clear.  Glo, I would stress "original" in green letters.  Both have worked great for me too!  

Thankfully, she's been eating well thus far.  However, she is much more tired after the 2nd round.  I know that is to be expected.  Thank you so much for the heads up.  

Another question -  do either of you recommend taking Vitamin C while on chemo or drinking the "Emergen-C" packs with 1000 mg?

Glo - thank you for your encouragement of our Almighty Physician.  He is always faithful!  I pray that you are both doing well with your recoveries.

Oh - one more question:  I am NOT a homeopathic person, but a co-worker shared eating apricot seeds and that her sister is now in complete remission with lung cancer after having chemo and radiation.  I have tried to research this, and despite all of the research - I can't find any deaths related to the concern of cyanide poisoning.  Granted - if we eat too much of anything - salt, sugar, sweeteners, etc. it's dangerous, but I have found multiple cases that have taken the apricot seeds (which kill only the cancerous cells), and are alive and well.

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

• KristiF
    Options
    GlowMore said:

Thank you Susan

Thank you Susan & Glo

My mom has been dx with TNBC, and had her 2nd chemo tx yesterday.  She said she put Tea Tree Oil on her nails yesterday, and that this morning they looked even better.   I personally use the Opi Nail Envy and it is awesome.  I have found it at local nail salons, and even those within Walmart for $17.00.  They sell a matte finish, but I prefer the Original Opi Nail Strengthener in clear.  Glo, I would stress "original" in green letters.  Both have worked great for me too!  

Thankfully, she's been eating well thus far.  However, she is much more tired after the 2nd round.  I know that is to be expected.  Thank you so much for the heads up.  

Another question -  do either of you recommend taking Vitamin C while on chemo or drinking the "Emergen-C" packs with 1000 mg?

Glo - thank you for your encouragement of our Almighty Physician.  He is always faithful!  I pray that you are both doing well with your recoveries.

Oh - one more question:  I am NOT a homeopathic person, but a co-worker shared eating apricot seeds and that her sister is now in complete remission with lung cancer after having chemo and radiation.  I have tried to research this, and despite all of the research - I can't find any deaths related to the concern of cyanide poisoning.  Granted - if we eat too much of anything - salt, sugar, sweeteners, etc. it's dangerous, but I have found multiple cases that have taken the apricot seeds (which kill only the cancerous cells), and are alive and well.

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    KristiF said:

Nail help - Any other tips?

Thank you so very much!!!

Is there a list of "tips" for ailments such as this somewhere?  I would love to start one that could be universally added to if not.

Thanks again! 

Nails

I had beautiful, long, strong nails prior to chemo. They peeled and I actually lost a few during chemo.   Five years later my nails break, and chip all the time.  I keep forgetting about Opi Nail Envy!  Thanks for the reminder.  A bottle lasts a very long time, so while it is expensive, it's worth it if it works.

Suzanne

• KristiF
    Options

Nails

I had beautiful, long, strong nails prior to chemo. They peeled and I actually lost a few during chemo.   Five years later my nails break, and chip all the time.  I keep forgetting about Opi Nail Envy!  Thanks for the reminder.  A bottle lasts a very long time, so while it is expensive, it's worth it if it works.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne

I thrilled to hear of your success.  I hope the nail tip will work well for you!

Kristi

• Barking Dog
    Barking Dog Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Fingernail loss

During the A/C portion of chemo, I skated on all the worst side effects and consider myself very lucky.

I've now had one Taxol infusion and think my luck may have fled.  During ~four days of fluctuating bone pain, I was also aware that my fingers hurt - especially the fingertips - especially the index fingers and thumbs.  The bone pain has pretty much abated but my fingers still hurt.

I live "alone" with 14 dogs and 22 goats and must either care for them myself of enlist help from my brothers, all of whom live far away.  Hope for the best, plan for the worst...

*IF* I lose fingernails, will I be able to haul water and hay and food bowls?  I read one old comment that said finger pain stopped once the nail fell off.  That would be okay but seems almost too good to be true.

So, any experience out there?  Has anyone lost fingernails?  When did it hurt?  How much did it hurt?  If I won't be able to use my hands, I have to give my brothers time to plan travel (and disrupt their own lives...).  Thanks in advance.

• LouisaP
    LouisaP Member Posts: 62
    Options

Fingernail loss

During the A/C portion of chemo, I skated on all the worst side effects and consider myself very lucky.

I've now had one Taxol infusion and think my luck may have fled.  During ~four days of fluctuating bone pain, I was also aware that my fingers hurt - especially the fingertips - especially the index fingers and thumbs.  The bone pain has pretty much abated but my fingers still hurt.

I live "alone" with 14 dogs and 22 goats and must either care for them myself of enlist help from my brothers, all of whom live far away.  Hope for the best, plan for the worst...

*IF* I lose fingernails, will I be able to haul water and hay and food bowls?  I read one old comment that said finger pain stopped once the nail fell off.  That would be okay but seems almost too good to be true.

So, any experience out there?  Has anyone lost fingernails?  When did it hurt?  How much did it hurt?  If I won't be able to use my hands, I have to give my brothers time to plan travel (and disrupt their own lives...).  Thanks in advance.

My nails & fingertips still

My nails & fingertips still hurt on a few fingers even though I finished chemo in August. My nails got brownish & some loostened. It's weird & hard to explain but between my nails & skin this thick cracked skin like stuff grew or it's the skin that got detached from nail or something. My fingertips are annoying. I already take meds for neuropathy but doesn't work for this. I kept nails polished & although some are loose I didn't lose any. I did lose my pinky toenail though. But that's nothing. It grew back fast. It varies person to person, but, neuropathy, nerve pain, in fingers does happen a lot. It's so hard to predict. If you're going to go on a hormone blocker such as Arimidex or Aromasin a major side effect is very sore hand & finger joints. I hope you have none or slight side effects & they go away fast. Good Luck. Kiss