Options
2»

Comments

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Kapital said:

Surgery

Hi NJMOM. My husband was treated for stage IV tonsil SCC T1N2b hpv16+ with 33 days of IMRT radiation and 3 rounds of chemo - carboplatin. Surgery was never recommended as an option. Each person is unique in the location and extent of their cancer. We put our faith in the experts and decided that they had the training and knowledge base to know what the best route to follow was. We live in a large city and used a large health care facility.  My husband has done well, so far, no recurrence. I'm grateful that he didn't have to go through the additional discomfort of surgery. Radiation and chemo is not easy either, but so far so good.

NJMOM

Disappointing to hear SK could not expedite things. I got immediate response from both Mayo Clinic in MN and MDAnderson in TX. I do believe there are people here who had radiation and chemo followed by surgery instead of surgery first. If you haven't already, you might consider making a future appt. at SK and hopefully, all will go well and you can cancel it. You could even ask SK to review his current scans and see if they agree with dx or if they feel an appt at SK could be beneficial. That is pretty much how it went with me and Mayo/MDA. I overnighted everything and they said yes, they thought they could help before I made an appt. because I live in St Louis.  In fact, Mayo and MDA discussed my case to see best course of action for me. I was impressed with both doing that.

Prayers that current course of tx will be enough.

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    hwt said:

NJMOM

Disappointing to hear SK could not expedite things. I got immediate response from both Mayo Clinic in MN and MDAnderson in TX. I do believe there are people here who had radiation and chemo followed by surgery instead of surgery first. If you haven't already, you might consider making a future appt. at SK and hopefully, all will go well and you can cancel it. You could even ask SK to review his current scans and see if they agree with dx or if they feel an appt at SK could be beneficial. That is pretty much how it went with me and Mayo/MDA. I overnighted everything and they said yes, they thought they could help before I made an appt. because I live in St Louis.  In fact, Mayo and MDA discussed my case to see best course of action for me. I was impressed with both doing that.

Prayers that current course of tx will be enough.

Hi NJMOM

Keep fighting; I am sorry to hear you are having problems like this; it is hard enough dealing with having cancer in the family and now having to fight just to be seen. But sometime you need to just keep calling and calling until they get tired of it and give you an appointment. Like hwt I went to MD Anderson in Houston and also the Mayo clinic in Phoenix, and never had a problem at nether one of them. Don’t give up you will get the right person sooner or later.

Tim