SCC tonsil

Options
2»

Comments

• keldog
    keldog Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Just diagnosed

Hi everyone!  I was diagnosed 8/10/15 and as of today my treatment plan has been fianalized and set in motion.  I have stage 4A cancer of the right tonsil with spread to 1 neck node on the right side, but PET scan shows no where else.  So....T2N2aM0  I'm set to start 35 weekly treatments of radiation 5 days a week for 7 weeks on Monday 8/31/15.  In addition, I'll have Cisplatin chemo on days 1, 17, & 35 of radiation.  I'm a 53 year old male in great health and no outward symptoms of any kind except the neck bump.  I'm 5'10 and weigh in at 225.

I've been through the standard protocol with all of the doctor's about side effects and how everyone reacts differently to all the different treatment modalities.  The one thing I just can't seem to make a concrete decision on is the need/want for a PEG tube.  I'm really hoping to get a concensus from people here who have actually been through this journey so that I can make an informed decision on Thursday when I meet with the Gastro Doc.

Any words of wisdom form anyone who's come through it on any issues on the road that lies ahead woud be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• bebo12249
    bebo12249 Member Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    keldog said:

Just diagnosed

Hi everyone!  I was diagnosed 8/10/15 and as of today my treatment plan has been fianalized and set in motion.  I have stage 4A cancer of the right tonsil with spread to 1 neck node on the right side, but PET scan shows no where else.  So....T2N2aM0  I'm set to start 35 weekly treatments of radiation 5 days a week for 7 weeks on Monday 8/31/15.  In addition, I'll have Cisplatin chemo on days 1, 17, & 35 of radiation.  I'm a 53 year old male in great health and no outward symptoms of any kind except the neck bump.  I'm 5'10 and weigh in at 225.

I've been through the standard protocol with all of the doctor's about side effects and how everyone reacts differently to all the different treatment modalities.  The one thing I just can't seem to make a concrete decision on is the need/want for a PEG tube.  I'm really hoping to get a concensus from people here who have actually been through this journey so that I can make an informed decision on Thursday when I meet with the Gastro Doc.

Any words of wisdom form anyone who's come through it on any issues on the road that lies ahead woud be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm as new to this as you are

I'm as new to this as you are so I can't comment on the peg tube except to say that I asked for one given I weigh 160 at 5'11". The medical onc said no, we'll wait to see if you need one. Apparently some people my size make it without one, as noted above. Your diagnosis and treatment are very close to mine. I start treatment either next week or on the 31st as you will. If you don't mind, I'll check back on you to compare notes. Best of luck. bill

PS My radiation onc did say that I need a mouth guard since I have some gold crowns. The radiation heats (heat is not his word, perhaps radiaiton scatter) the crowns and causes mouth sores to the checks. I'm going to my dentist today to pick up the guards that are very similar to a sports mouth guard. The radiation onc said some docs don't worry about this and it causes preventable mouth sores. Just food for thought.

• Crazymom
    Crazymom Member Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    chemo and radiation

Sorry, I had chemo 6 weeks, then radiation 6 weeks.  I seen it work well both ways.  The pain in your throat will be tough, but will not be compounded by the chemo.  The chemo did not make me sick at my stomach.  Hope you are as lucky.  Hang in there...it will get better