Oral care

Options
KathyinMaineville
KathyinMaineville Member Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Just finished four standard treatments - 5FU and Oxy - after proximal colon resection in May (Stage IIIc) and have been getting small oral ulcers after each treatment.  I switched to a baby rubber toothbrush which helps a lot but wonder if there is some other toothpaste (I am using Crest) that is less likely to irritate my mouth while keeping it clean.  I also have taken to flossing almost every day.  I rinse with either salt or baking soda and water sometimes with vinegar added.  Any other hints.  Kathy

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    welcome to the forum, Kathy.

I had ulcers during my treatments and found most toothpastes 'burned' my mouth. I also had Thrush, which certainly didn't help. 

I tried several different brands of toothpast, and the one that eventually worked for me was (and is, as I still use it) Sensodyne Multi Action iso-active FOAMING GEL.

I also found that swishing my mouth with a mix of warm water, baking soda and salt. It was like a miracle, the way it worked. 

Sue - Trubrit

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Trubrit said:

welcome to the forum, Kathy.

I had ulcers during my treatments and found most toothpastes 'burned' my mouth. I also had Thrush, which certainly didn't help. 

I tried several different brands of toothpast, and the one that eventually worked for me was (and is, as I still use it) Sensodyne Multi Action iso-active FOAMING GEL.

I also found that swishing my mouth with a mix of warm water, baking soda and salt. It was like a miracle, the way it worked. 

Sue - Trubrit

I have no suggestions as far

I have no suggestions as far as tooth paste but I did swish my mouth with club soda and that helped some. I didn't get the mouth ucers very badly at all, though.