Eating after treatment

Options

My husband finished radiation and chemo treatment 3 weeks ago For hypopharynx cancer. He lost his ability to eat before the treatment and depends on a Peg. He is hoping to resume eating soon but so far cannot manage to get any food down; wondering how long others had to wait or any suggestions. Thanks in advance

Comments

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    eating

I had hypopharnx cancer also, and couln't eat either.  However, I ended up with a total laryngectomy and my upper esophagus rebuilt.  I did not have radiation or chemo for this cancer.  I was able to eat again one month after surgery.

I hope the tumor has disappeared and the radiation damage heals quickly.

Lorna 2007 & 2014

• MrsBD
    MrsBD Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Eating

Welcome to the group. Most of us had a sore mouth and throat after treatment,  but everyone's time line was different. I did not have a PEG and drank Ensure or soup for several weeks during and after treatment. Room temp or warm food went down more easily than cold. After about four months, I had few limitations. Some people started with pudding, Jello, yogurt. Just keep trying different foods. Something is bound to slide down and he'll be on the road to recovery! 

• Priss54
    Priss54 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    MrsBD said:

Eating

Welcome to the group. Most of us had a sore mouth and throat after treatment,  but everyone's time line was different. I did not have a PEG and drank Ensure or soup for several weeks during and after treatment. Room temp or warm food went down more easily than cold. After about four months, I had few limitations. Some people started with pudding, Jello, yogurt. Just keep trying different foods. Something is bound to slide down and he'll be on the road to recovery! 

Thank you, we will try the

Thank you, we will try the room temp food

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Eating

After radiation and chemo my husband was not able to eat and depended on the Peg tube until his surgery 4 months later for laryngeal cancer when during that surgery they found out that the radiation had completely closed off his throat and they had to reconstruct his throat.  He was then able to start eating 6 weeks later.  Just remember everyone reacts differently to radiation and chemo. 

Wishing you both the best -- Sharon

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Welcome to the H&N Group

It can take time and it seems that everyone is no differant time tables for that. For now keep swallowing water all the time as you can forget how to swallow. Needs to stay hydrated so keep sipping and then he can try thicker things like pudding, jello, ice cream, then scrambled eggs. Be sure to always get the doctors ok.

Bill