Hard and swollen area after double mastectomy/ UPDATE

Options
coral2015
coral2015 Member Posts: 30
edited August 2015 in Breast Cancer #1

Hi, I was wondering if any of you have experienced something like this: I had a double mastectomy no reconstruction almost 3 weeks ago, the drains were removed after 9 days. Two days ago I noticed an area that is swollen and hard, no much pain; it looks darker than the rest of my skin. This swollen area is on the right side of my right incision, it doesnt really hurts but when I lift my right arm I feel some pressure. I have an appointment with my surgeon on tuesday, but I would like to know if anyone has an idea of what could it be. I worry to much these days and sometimes, I wish I could move in with my Doctors so they can answer all my questions at once LOL. 

Another question, I just started taking Tamoxifen, is it posible to feel any side effects within hours of taking it for the first time? How do you feel taking it? Today i took it for the fist time and I felt light headed, moody (extra moody) and I almost cry because my son wouldn,t pick up his toys after asking him a 1000x to pick them up :( 

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    We can never worry 'to much', or have silly questions

for our Doctors ..  Please call ASAP your surgeon - try to speak with him on the phone, or get yourself into see your doctor .. as many say,  better safe, than sorry. 

I also had a bilateral - with expanders - I see that you did not go with the option I chose - HOWEVER, the dis coloration concerns me.  It may be tissue that is fusing together, a pool of blood - any number of things ..  PLEASE go have this checked out .. as soon as possible.

Your 2nd question regarding 'Tamoxifen' will be answered by someone taking Tamoxifen ...   I do KNOW that our cancer Journey is very emotional .. crying for me, personally meant I criedc on a dime.   Yes, crying became an emotion when I was sad, frustrated, angry, depressed --  You name it,  I cried!!!  LOL 

Hoping for sunnier days - ...  remember to post here often, as we are here for you 24 hours a days, 7 days a week.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki SAm 

• coral2015
    Options
    VickiSam said:

We can never worry 'to much', or have silly questions

for our Doctors ..  Please call ASAP your surgeon - try to speak with him on the phone, or get yourself into see your doctor .. as many say,  better safe, than sorry. 

I also had a bilateral - with expanders - I see that you did not go with the option I chose - HOWEVER, the dis coloration concerns me.  It may be tissue that is fusing together, a pool of blood - any number of things ..  PLEASE go have this checked out .. as soon as possible.

Your 2nd question regarding 'Tamoxifen' will be answered by someone taking Tamoxifen ...   I do KNOW that our cancer Journey is very emotional .. crying for me, personally meant I criedc on a dime.   Yes, crying became an emotion when I was sad, frustrated, angry, depressed --  You name it,  I cried!!!  LOL 

Hoping for sunnier days - ...  remember to post here often, as we are here for you 24 hours a days, 7 days a week.

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a Cure.

Vicki SAm 

Thanks VickySam

I couldn't get my surgeon on the phone yesterday, I do have an appointment on Tuesday but I will see my oncologist on Monday and the surgeon is next door so I will check with her. I haven't been too emotional, untill yesterday. I guess is just me finally having the time to look back and realize all the things that have been happening throughout this journey. I will let you know what my doc says on Monday, thank u :)

• VickiSam
    Options
    coral2015 said:

Thanks VickySam

I couldn't get my surgeon on the phone yesterday, I do have an appointment on Tuesday but I will see my oncologist on Monday and the surgeon is next door so I will check with her. I haven't been too emotional, untill yesterday. I guess is just me finally having the time to look back and realize all the things that have been happening throughout this journey. I will let you know what my doc says on Monday, thank u :)

Great .. Please let us know ...

Keeping my fingers, and toes crosses for you dear Sister in PINK.

Vicki Sam

• Priss54
    Priss54 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Tamoxifen

I had my first hot flash ( power surge) about 30 minutes after taking tamoxifen for the first time. Also, I Never had another period; of course I counted that as a positive side effect. 

On a serious note, the Tamoxifen stops your body from producing estrogen, so expect to be moody occasionally. Just know that Taxmixifen is a miracle drug for women with estrogen positive cancer. I hasd a mastectomy in 1999 and took it for 5 years. But do not place the blame for all of your emotions on the drug, you just had major surgery and your life has been turned upside down. Please speak to your doctor about any concerns. 

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Seroma

I got a large swollen area that the doctors called a seroma. It went away by itself over several months. It wasn't dark colored though, so VickiSam is right. You should definitely call your doctor asap just to be safe. I don't remember feeling moody when I first started Tamoxifen, maybe a few months later. Your son sounds like a cutie by the way! Best, Anna

• coral2015
    Options
    button2 said:

Seroma

I got a large swollen area that the doctors called a seroma. It went away by itself over several months. It wasn't dark colored though, so VickiSam is right. You should definitely call your doctor asap just to be safe. I don't remember feeling moody when I first started Tamoxifen, maybe a few months later. Your son sounds like a cutie by the way! Best, Anna

He is :) LOL

He is a great and busy 5 yo, who has NO time to pick up toys, who does???? He is busy driving his grandma crazy and making my days brighter :) I gonna see my Onc tomorrow and ask him bout it, app with my surgeon on tuesday. Hope is nothing bad.... Thank you ladies

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Tamoxifen

I can't address your first issue, other than to say it would be wise to see your DR. 

I started tamoxifen three years ago this week.  I can't recall amy immediate side effects.  From what I have read and heard, this -- like so many other things -- seems to be rather individual  I will say that I do deal with some side effects now, but at this point they are manageable.  Every time I have a onc appointment (now on six-month cycle), I am asked how I am doing with the tamoxifen.  I know that if needed, he would change my meds. 

It does take a bit to get used to what I call "the new life."  Places like this are a great resource.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    Tamoxifen:

I took it for 5

Tamoxifen:

I took it for 5 yrs (now off it for 2 yrs this week)

I did not have many side effects (one were wicked leg cramps at night)

other long term one was "enlarged' uteris (which I was told was very likely) I did have a total hystertomy about 2 1/2 yrs into taking the med and con't for a complete 5 years.

best of luck to you

Denise

• coral2015
    Options
    HAPPY TO TELL YOU ALL, THAT

HAPPY TO TELL YOU ALL, THAT IT WAS JUST FLUID (PHEW). TODAY I WENT TO MY SURGEONS OFFICE AND SHE DRAINED AS MUCH AS SHE COULD. I HAVE SOME FLUID ON THE OTHER SIDE, BUT SHE SAID MY BODY WILL ABSORB IT, BUT IF IT DOESNT SHE WILL DRAIN IT TOO. I'M FEELING OK NOW, NOT REALLY MOODY LOL. THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME OF READING (AND ANSWERING) MY QUESTIONS. STAY STRONG ;) ADRIANA

• VickiSam
    Options
    coral2015 said:

HAPPY TO TELL YOU ALL, THAT

HAPPY TO TELL YOU ALL, THAT IT WAS JUST FLUID (PHEW). TODAY I WENT TO MY SURGEONS OFFICE AND SHE DRAINED AS MUCH AS SHE COULD. I HAVE SOME FLUID ON THE OTHER SIDE, BUT SHE SAID MY BODY WILL ABSORB IT, BUT IF IT DOESNT SHE WILL DRAIN IT TOO. I'M FEELING OK NOW, NOT REALLY MOODY LOL. THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME OF READING (AND ANSWERING) MY QUESTIONS. STAY STRONG ;) ADRIANA

Absolutely wonderful NEWS!!

Adriana,  so happy for you!!!  Happy Healing ..

Vicki Sam