Folfox treatmens protocols, europe vs america

Mary1864
Mary1864 Member Posts: 39

Has anyone heard or read that the standard protocol treatment in europe is only 6 rounds of folfox vs US is 12?   Any reason why this  is so dramatically different? 

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Take A Look

I actually posted an upate on my scene

http://csn.cancer.org/node/295822

Think there is some information I heard which may be explain some of it.  Often different countries implement different standards based on research and what they are accepting.  It happens in various aspects of medical information, and the U.S. sometimes seems a bit slower.  Maybe because of regulations and the rest.  For instance, and broad stroke, Europe went quicker to hyperthermia in connection with heart attacks and also use of drones to get items easier to places, such as AED in places harder to reach.

• Mary1864
    Mary1864 Member Posts: 39
    NewHere said:

Take A Look

I actually posted an upate on my scene

http://csn.cancer.org/node/295822

Think there is some information I heard which may be explain some of it.  Often different countries implement different standards based on research and what they are accepting.  It happens in various aspects of medical information, and the U.S. sometimes seems a bit slower.  Maybe because of regulations and the rest.  For instance, and broad stroke, Europe went quicker to hyperthermia in connection with heart attacks and also use of drones to get items easier to places, such as AED in places harder to reach.

Thanks!

did read your informative posts....i had asked my oncologist about the european standard and he nodded and said that he did not see me making it thru oxi for the full twelve.  i am on a slightly different routine.  I had surgery, and had a port placed, which caused my lung to collapse..setting chemo back another two weeks.  I am finishing my sixth round of folfox next week,  then 5 weeks of chemo-radiation, and back to chemo, number of treatments undetermined...doc told me we would see at that point how strong i am.   So far i have been "tolerating" chemo, which is such a loaded term for all of this!  But am definitely feeling the effects of neuropathy since my fourth round.  Such a mental game....to get back in that infusion room and get hooked up.  Its only temporary....i keep telling myself.  

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    six

In some poor countries, they don't use ports, or can't afford more. Six folfox in the arm is more than most can handle, and if offered second line chemo, say no.   Shorter FOLFOX for lower stages 2-3 is one application where follow up with targeted cheap generics and UFT could shine.  

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    tanstaafl said:

six

In some poor countries, they don't use ports, or can't afford more. Six folfox in the arm is more than most can handle, and if offered second line chemo, say no.   Shorter FOLFOX for lower stages 2-3 is one application where follow up with targeted cheap generics and UFT could shine.  

Really interesting. And since I only completed 8 of my mop up chemo treatments it makes me feel better about that. Thanks for sharing this.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Mary1864 said:

Thanks!

did read your informative posts....i had asked my oncologist about the european standard and he nodded and said that he did not see me making it thru oxi for the full twelve.  i am on a slightly different routine.  I had surgery, and had a port placed, which caused my lung to collapse..setting chemo back another two weeks.  I am finishing my sixth round of folfox next week,  then 5 weeks of chemo-radiation, and back to chemo, number of treatments undetermined...doc told me we would see at that point how strong i am.   So far i have been "tolerating" chemo, which is such a loaded term for all of this!  But am definitely feeling the effects of neuropathy since my fourth round.  Such a mental game....to get back in that infusion room and get hooked up.  Its only temporary....i keep telling myself.  

It is A Grind

But doable.  The last few sessions seem to be more of a grind (Ah, %^&&*, hook-up time) but it passes.  Sorry to hear about the lung issue. :(

On the neuorpathy in my hands I have been sleeping with gloves often and pop them on during the day.  Seems to help things back down, maybe just increasing circulation but it works.  Have some insoles for my sneakers that really worked great as far as I cen tell.  The neuorpathy in the feet started around session 2-3, got these and it stopped and has not come back.  On the good days I am going to baseball games and walking around the stadium up, down and around.  Been great for the feet and also the attitude.  My Onc says it goes a long way.  Sometimes need to extricate myself from falling into the couch and just being a slug, and there are a couple of days where it is the only real option, but often a little effort to get past inertia goes a long way.

So if you like something, even going outside for 10-15 minutes to read a book or look at birds or a short walk, it does wonders.  

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    JanJan63 said:

Really interesting. And since I only completed 8 of my mop up chemo treatments it makes me feel better about that. Thanks for sharing this.

note

Just to be clear.  UFT is an oral form of 5FU analogous to xeloda, and the Japanese sometimes have used it 1/2 - 1.5 years after infusional 5FU based chemo with LV, -oxi or iri, "just to be sure", and do prevent some extra recurs.