depression and arimidex

Options
ChrisB56
ChrisB56 Member Posts: 4

Hi,

I just found this site today. I'm wondering if anyone has been experiencing depression since being on Arimidex?  I am an almost 2 year survivor.  I had a lumpectomy in 2013 and radiation after that.  I have been on Arimidex for almost 2 years now.  The first year was a breeze, I suffered almost no side effects.  After year 1, I started having major hot flashes so my doctor prescribed Effexor to help the flashes.  It works sometimes. In the last 4 or so months, I've been having some really bad depression and mood/emotional issues.  I was feeling really bad today and goggled and got to this site. I know there are other drugs available, and when I see the doctor later this month, I'll ask him about it.  Don't most of these drugs have the same side effects?  My fear is that I've been on the Arimidex now, and if I switch, will I suffer tyhe same side effects?  Part of me thinks, why bother to switch.  I know these are side effects from the drug, so I should just deal with it.  Sounds kind of crazy, but lately, I'm feeling kind of crazy.  Has anyone else experienced side effects from Arimidex and switched drugs with success?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for being there for me. Smile

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Welcome to the site Chris....

I don't know about this drug as I'm on Tamoxifen. I think we can all relate to depression though. I hope you ask your doctors and get to the bottom of this. Since you are almost a 2yr survivor, you should be very proud of yourself and the progress you have made. You deserve some happiness now. Life is short and I hope you insist on getting treatment very soon....Keep us posted on how it goes...Anna

• ChrisB56
    Options
    button2 said:

Welcome to the site Chris....

I don't know about this drug as I'm on Tamoxifen. I think we can all relate to depression though. I hope you ask your doctors and get to the bottom of this. Since you are almost a 2yr survivor, you should be very proud of yourself and the progress you have made. You deserve some happiness now. Life is short and I hope you insist on getting treatment very soon....Keep us posted on how it goes...Anna

Thank you Anna!  I appreciate

Thank you Anna!  I appreciate your support.  I will keep you informed.  Arimidex is prescribed for post-menopausal women.  It's nice to know that there are wonderful women like you that understand.  This is a great site and I'm so happy to have found it!  

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Hi Chris

I am Triple Negative so can't take any of the other drugs that so many can take....but I can tell you that I understand totally about Depression.   Sometimes I think that we are flattened by depression simply because of this TERRIBLE BEAST we will be fighting forever.....it's enough to make anybody depressed for goodness sake.  What I think has worked for me is that I just DO NOT WANT CANCER TO WIN***and I WILL NOT let it keep me down.   So...I went into that dark hole but I dug myself out with the help of God....and a lot of wonderful doctors/nurses/friends/family/and wonderful women who know what it is to face Breast Cancer.    Sending you prayers for Strength & Courage...  hang in there.  Glo

• gracegotmehere
    gracegotmehere Member Posts: 19
    Options
    struggling with side effects of arimidex

I've only been on arimidex for four weeks and I am wondering how I can continue.  Woke up today at 3 a.m. with severe back pain-- I feel joint pain almost constantly, at times fighting back tears in front of my kids...

Background: I found out I was BRCA-2 positive so had my ovaries removed 3.5 months ago, then bmx for bc (stage 1, ER+)  I can handle the hot flashes-- would be dealing with those w or w/o arimidex-- but the joint pain, and worrying about how to withstand 5 years of it, all while worrying about my bones thinning / risk of fracture and / or osteoporosis and ...

I know I can try other drugs, but their "numbers" for recurrence / metastasis are not as good as those for arimidex / anastrozole.

I would never have guessed that I would be contemplating this.  I would have guessed that my desire to fight any cancers lingering in my body would override pain.  I joked with my husband, "So this is what it feels like to be 70" but it is no laughing matter.  I'm not sure I can continue taking it.

Advice???

• ChrisB56
    Options

struggling with side effects of arimidex

I've only been on arimidex for four weeks and I am wondering how I can continue.  Woke up today at 3 a.m. with severe back pain-- I feel joint pain almost constantly, at times fighting back tears in front of my kids...

Background: I found out I was BRCA-2 positive so had my ovaries removed 3.5 months ago, then bmx for bc (stage 1, ER+)  I can handle the hot flashes-- would be dealing with those w or w/o arimidex-- but the joint pain, and worrying about how to withstand 5 years of it, all while worrying about my bones thinning / risk of fracture and / or osteoporosis and ...

I know I can try other drugs, but their "numbers" for recurrence / metastasis are not as good as those for arimidex / anastrozole.

I would never have guessed that I would be contemplating this.  I would have guessed that my desire to fight any cancers lingering in my body would override pain.  I joked with my husband, "So this is what it feels like to be 70" but it is no laughing matter.  I'm not sure I can continue taking it.

Advice???

Hi,
    I talked to my pharmacist

Hi,

I talked to my pharmacist as the joint pain for awhile was really bad for me too.  He recommended taking glucomasine.  He told me it doesn't interfere with the other drugs.  I took it for awhile and it did help.  I don't take it anymore, now when I have the aches as I call them, I take ibuprofen or aspirin and it seems to help.  Thanks for sharing the info about the Arimidex and recurrence.  I didn't know that.  I'm contemplating switching to one of the other drugs.  I have an appt later this month and will ask my doctor about them.  What I've read about them, they seem to have the same side effects as the Arimidex, so I'm torn..... Do I try to switch now or just deal with it knowing that it is the Arimidex?  I'm still praying on this and I will express my concerns to my doc when I see him.  I know the ultimate decision is mine, and after hearing that the Arimidex has better numbers, I don't know.  I would ask your doctor as being on the drug only 4 weeks, maybe a switch would be the answer?  I will continue to pray for you too!  God bless!

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    ChrisB56 said:

Hi,

Hi,

I talked to my pharmacist as the joint pain for awhile was really bad for me too.  He recommended taking glucomasine.  He told me it doesn't interfere with the other drugs.  I took it for awhile and it did help.  I don't take it anymore, now when I have the aches as I call them, I take ibuprofen or aspirin and it seems to help.  Thanks for sharing the info about the Arimidex and recurrence.  I didn't know that.  I'm contemplating switching to one of the other drugs.  I have an appt later this month and will ask my doctor about them.  What I've read about them, they seem to have the same side effects as the Arimidex, so I'm torn..... Do I try to switch now or just deal with it knowing that it is the Arimidex?  I'm still praying on this and I will express my concerns to my doc when I see him.  I know the ultimate decision is mine, and after hearing that the Arimidex has better numbers, I don't know.  I would ask your doctor as being on the drug only 4 weeks, maybe a switch would be the answer?  I will continue to pray for you too!  God bless!

Sending positive thoughts and well wishes

your way ...  Please know that we get on our site, are here for you .. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week -- 

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a cure.

Vicki Sam

• ChrisB56
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Sending positive thoughts and well wishes

your way ...  Please know that we get on our site, are here for you .. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week -- 

Strength, Courage and HOPE for a cure.

Vicki Sam

God bless you Vicki Sam for

God bless you Vicki Sam for the positive thoughts and well wishes.  What a blessing this site is, and caring women like you!  You have made my day.Smile

ChrisB56

• CindySch
    CindySch Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Chris!
    It is good that you

Hi Chris!

It is good that you came on board.  We survivors must stick together because we have all been there with these side effects.  I take Anaztrozole (Arimidex) and have been doing so for going on 5 years.  I have gained weight.  Sometimes I cry buckets over things that get me down.  I sweat buckets when I go outside in the summertime and everyday when I work with my elderly client who is always cold in her apartment!  Giving her a shower means we both get wet!  Her with water and me with a combination of the two!  I had a horrendous appointment with my gynecologist recently as my vagina has become a desert.  She kept asking me questions that made me feel awful and reminded me about things I have lost that made me feel even worse, i.e. not being able to have sex anymore.  My joints ache.  I am only 60 and walk down the street sometime or go down the steps feeling like I am quite elderly and stiffened up.  I continue to take the medicine because I am afraid to stop taking it.  I take supplements for the stiff joints, have sent off to England for a vaginal moisturizer called "Yes", go off and cry when I need to, do a lot of praying, and most importantly and recently trying to teach the doctors (outside of the oncologists) how dufus they can be when it comes to their handling of their cancer patients.  My sense of humor has helped me a great deal.  One time after work I was wringing wet with sweat and stopped by a friend's house on the way home from work.  Her husband took me for a ride on the back of his motorcycle to help me cool off!  He opened it up wide as we sped down the road.  I wasn't even afraid (iknowing later if he had to stop I would have been in orbit).  Once you have survived cancer your biggest fear is getting it back.  Other things don't seem so bad anymore!  Your oncologist is your biggest friend now!  Talk to them about what you are feeling!  Just keep talking!  When people stop talking and feel all alone that's when they get into trouble!   

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    CindySch said:

Hi Chris!
    It is good that you

Hi Chris!

It is good that you came on board.  We survivors must stick together because we have all been there with these side effects.  I take Anaztrozole (Arimidex) and have been doing so for going on 5 years.  I have gained weight.  Sometimes I cry buckets over things that get me down.  I sweat buckets when I go outside in the summertime and everyday when I work with my elderly client who is always cold in her apartment!  Giving her a shower means we both get wet!  Her with water and me with a combination of the two!  I had a horrendous appointment with my gynecologist recently as my vagina has become a desert.  She kept asking me questions that made me feel awful and reminded me about things I have lost that made me feel even worse, i.e. not being able to have sex anymore.  My joints ache.  I am only 60 and walk down the street sometime or go down the steps feeling like I am quite elderly and stiffened up.  I continue to take the medicine because I am afraid to stop taking it.  I take supplements for the stiff joints, have sent off to England for a vaginal moisturizer called "Yes", go off and cry when I need to, do a lot of praying, and most importantly and recently trying to teach the doctors (outside of the oncologists) how dufus they can be when it comes to their handling of their cancer patients.  My sense of humor has helped me a great deal.  One time after work I was wringing wet with sweat and stopped by a friend's house on the way home from work.  Her husband took me for a ride on the back of his motorcycle to help me cool off!  He opened it up wide as we sped down the road.  I wasn't even afraid (iknowing later if he had to stop I would have been in orbit).  Once you have survived cancer your biggest fear is getting it back.  Other things don't seem so bad anymore!  Your oncologist is your biggest friend now!  Talk to them about what you are feeling!  Just keep talking!  When people stop talking and feel all alone that's when they get into trouble!   

bumping up .. several posts regarding advise on side

efforts "ARIMIDEX" ..

• LindenLea
    LindenLea Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Arimidex and depression

My first post on this site. I was diagnosed in February (IDC <1.5 cm ER/PR+ HER-), had a lumpectomy in March and three weeks of radiation in June (had some complications after surgery, which delayed the start of radiation). No chemo. I'm 66, a widow, no kids, no siblings, all alone.

I started Arimidex about a month ago. I'm having almost continuous, mild hot flashes. It's VERY hot where live--the heat index yesterday was 107!-- so it will be interesting to see how they change or moderate when if winter ever comes. No joint pain yet. I've always had insomnia so no change there.

But the thing that is KILLING me is the depression. The last few days I've been in an especially dark hole. I was in a very dark hole after my husband passed away 15 years ago, but back then I had hope that one day I would crawl out into the light again. And I did. But this bout of depression feels like it will never end. That I have nothing to look forward to. I have no one in my life to whom I'm special. Yes, I have friends, but I'm a peripheral afterthought in their lives. Yesterday I was wondering how long it would take anyone to even notice if I never came outside my house again. It could be weeks. Like I said... in a very very dark cave.

I know I have to force myself to get out, walk, see people, but knowing that they all have families, homes they share with other people, and ENDLESS stories of their grandchildren...they have LIVES--I. Do. Not.  Don't get me wrong-- I like living alone. I just hate it that no one checks up on me anymore except in the most cursory ("Oh, glad you're fine now!") way. That there's no one to hold me and tell me they love me. No one has even seen my surgery site except a myriad of doctors. I haven't had a hug that lasted more than a few seconds in the last eight years. Yes, I pay for massages...but I'd like some loving.

In a very very dark place today. The Arimidex seems to be intensifying the feelings. The diagnosis and surgery came so FAST. Within two weeks of each other. I may also be having some PTSD. I don't know how to help myself.

• aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    LindenLea said:

Arimidex and depression

My first post on this site. I was diagnosed in February (IDC <1.5 cm ER/PR+ HER-), had a lumpectomy in March and three weeks of radiation in June (had some complications after surgery, which delayed the start of radiation). No chemo. I'm 66, a widow, no kids, no siblings, all alone.

I started Arimidex about a month ago. I'm having almost continuous, mild hot flashes. It's VERY hot where live--the heat index yesterday was 107!-- so it will be interesting to see how they change or moderate when if winter ever comes. No joint pain yet. I've always had insomnia so no change there.

But the thing that is KILLING me is the depression. The last few days I've been in an especially dark hole. I was in a very dark hole after my husband passed away 15 years ago, but back then I had hope that one day I would crawl out into the light again. And I did. But this bout of depression feels like it will never end. That I have nothing to look forward to. I have no one in my life to whom I'm special. Yes, I have friends, but I'm a peripheral afterthought in their lives. Yesterday I was wondering how long it would take anyone to even notice if I never came outside my house again. It could be weeks. Like I said... in a very very dark cave.

I know I have to force myself to get out, walk, see people, but knowing that they all have families, homes they share with other people, and ENDLESS stories of their grandchildren...they have LIVES--I. Do. Not.  Don't get me wrong-- I like living alone. I just hate it that no one checks up on me anymore except in the most cursory ("Oh, glad you're fine now!") way. That there's no one to hold me and tell me they love me. No one has even seen my surgery site except a myriad of doctors. I haven't had a hug that lasted more than a few seconds in the last eight years. Yes, I pay for massages...but I'd like some loving.

In a very very dark place today. The Arimidex seems to be intensifying the feelings. The diagnosis and surgery came so FAST. Within two weeks of each other. I may also be having some PTSD. I don't know how to help myself.

Welcome, LindenLea

I'm sorry to welcome you to the place no one wants to be, but we're a great group of people and hopefully you will find the support you're looking for here. 

I just finished five years of Arimidex and was taken off because of osteoporosis. It's too bad because I was fortunate to have very few side effects and I didn't have the crushing depression you're describing.

You say you don't know how to help yourself, but I think you took the first step by reaching out here. Depression can be debilitating and I hope you continue to ask for the help you need. There's a chat room attached to this site. Maybe that would help? Just having real time conversation with someone when you're at your lowest.

Anyway, please stay in touch. We do care.

xoxo

Victoria 

• gracegotmehere
    Options
    ChrisB56 said:

Hi,

Hi,

I do take glucosamine already

I do take glucosamine already for joint pain related to a college soccer injury.  Thank you for sharing something that worked for you!  I am back on Arimidex and praying and hoping for improvement.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    LindenLea said:

Arimidex and depression

LindenLea

As a person who knows what depression is like, I find your post so poignant. You describe everything so well. Please don't feel alone. It may seem like everyone has family, but there are many people in your position. I think the key is to live for yourself. I am blessed with a loving family, but believe me, that is not enough to stop depression. If I hadn't decided to live FOR ME, I would never have gotten out of the hole (years before cancer - nothing to do with it). I'm sending you a hug that lasts a couple of MINUTES, Anna

• gracegotmehere
    Options
    LindenLea said:

Arimidex and depression

My heart goes out to you.

And I feel like I can relate.  2015 for me:  BRCA-2 diagnosis in January, removal of my ovaries / fallopian tubes in April to prevent cancers associated with BRCA-2, then on my way to preventative bilateral mastectomy found that I did in fact have breast cancer.

People who have been through what we have need time to process all that has happened, to grieve what we have lost, to acclimate to the new... when you pile a nasty drug like Arimidex on top of it all, it is not surprising that you (and I!) feel overwhelmed.

I am hoping that your doctor can help you with the depression. Getting out and making connections with others and with nature will help you through this, but somehow you have to get to the point where you CAN get out there and find the energy and courage to reach out to others.  I wish I could help you out.  I am looking for a walking partner here in my town-- I would love to find someone who would meet up with me, walk with me and talk, someone who understands the ups and downs of breast cancer.

In your area are there any support groups where you could connect with someone who understands?  Is there anything that I could do to help?