Recovery from radiation/chemo

I finished 33 radiation treatments and chemo. five weeks ago.  I am still on liquids and my mouth is sore although not as bad as it was.  I am wondering about when I would enjoy eating again.  You are really a social outcast when you don't eat and everything smells so good.  Did you feel great when you could eat again?

Comments

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    I'm sure you've heard this....

100 times before.....but every one is different.  We all got back to eating at different speeds.  Recovery from the treatment of this disease takes time....a LOT of time.  It cannot be measured in days....but in weeks and months.  Like you know you feel better today than you did 5 weeks ago, but I'll wager on a day to day basis, you couldn't feel the improvement....right? 

For me, it was my mouth that kept me from eating as opposed to a sore throat....or pain in swallowing.  I had horrible sores, but they started clearing up about 3 weeks after treatment.  I started with homemade vegetable soup....and French bread slathered in butter soaking is said soup....not only was that my first real meal, it was my go to meal for 2 months after I could start eating.  I couldn't really taste it, but I love the feeling of eating what I could smell!!

You just keep testing things....soups, wet mac and cheese, wet scrambled eggs....soft foods.....you'll get to the chewy stuff soon....honest!!

p

• stephenaudrey
    stephenaudrey Member Posts: 32

I'm sure you've heard this....

100 times before.....but every one is different.  We all got back to eating at different speeds.  Recovery from the treatment of this disease takes time....a LOT of time.  It cannot be measured in days....but in weeks and months.  Like you know you feel better today than you did 5 weeks ago, but I'll wager on a day to day basis, you couldn't feel the improvement....right? 

For me, it was my mouth that kept me from eating as opposed to a sore throat....or pain in swallowing.  I had horrible sores, but they started clearing up about 3 weeks after treatment.  I started with homemade vegetable soup....and French bread slathered in butter soaking is said soup....not only was that my first real meal, it was my go to meal for 2 months after I could start eating.  I couldn't really taste it, but I love the feeling of eating what I could smell!!

You just keep testing things....soups, wet mac and cheese, wet scrambled eggs....soft foods.....you'll get to the chewy stuff soon....honest!!

p

Thank you - that vegeteble

Thank you - that vegetable soup sounds great about now.

• debbiejeanne
    debbiejeanne Member Posts: 3,102 Member
    Steph, a few got back to

Steph, a few got back to eating quickly but most, not so.  i didn't have chemo, only rads the first time so I don't remember how long it took me to eat again.  But the second time, i had to have a laryngectomy and it took me about 1.5 years to be able to eat due to complications.  You are so right, you are definitely excluded from living when you cannot eat and it is even worse when you add NOT being able to talk to that.  I pray your pain goes quickly and you're able to eat soon.  start with puddings and soups when you want to try.  anything soft and lacking spices might be ok.  good luck, i'll be rooting for you!

God bless you,

dj

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    time

stephenaudrey,

Good question, who knows?  For me it was seven months, and then all of a sudden things tasted and felt (fairly) all right again.   I was always trying something, sampling everything, but my aversion was so great I happily chose to live mainly on smoothies and protein drinks.  I would travel around with my little igloo cooler.

Now, at 3y 4m I am back to eating fairly normal, going to restaurants, snacking, eating ice cream, a new normal for sure.

Funny thing, sweet iced tea and corn on the cob, tasted good from the start, go figure.

Happy meals ahead,

Matt

• stephenaudrey
    stephenaudrey Member Posts: 32
    CivilMatt said:

time

stephenaudrey,

Good question, who knows?  For me it was seven months, and then all of a sudden things tasted and felt (fairly) all right again.   I was always trying something, sampling everything, but my aversion was so great I happily chose to live mainly on smoothies and protein drinks.  I would travel around with my little igloo cooler.

Now, at 3y 4m I am back to eating fairly normal, going to restaurants, snacking, eating ice cream, a new normal for sure.

Funny thing, sweet iced tea and corn on the cob, tasted good from the start, go figure.

Happy meals ahead,

Matt

Wow - seven months.  I sure

Wow - seven months.  I sure hope it doesn't take that long.  What inhibited you from eating - pain or taste?

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Just more time.......

Yes everyone is different and how fast they heal. I do understand your feelings. I had to have a laryngectomy so I can't smell anything let alone food and that will change how it tastes. Also a lot was cut so it takes me very long to eat. My hambuger is cold before I can finish and going out to dinner I have to order less or everyone is done 30 minuts be fore i'm even close. This is just the "New " me and I had to accept it. When ever you feel down about this, remember you are most lkely lucky to still be alive. The sooner you accept it the faster you will heal. Your family and friends as well understand, and are just glad you are there to be with them. It just takes time and it slowley gets better. One day all of a sudden you can eat something you could not two days ago. Celebrate all those accomplishments as to you they are major. From liquid you can go to soft foods like pudding and scrambled eggs, different soups, [my faverate was and is crean of chicken as it had the most calories and I need that so much. Be paitent and not so hard on your self. What you went through is major. They [doctors] say Head & Neck cancer treatment is about the worst there is. Only treatment for leukemia is harder to go through, and you made it. Tast can take time so try some different seasonings. May all your tomorrows be better than toye todays.

Bill

• KB56
    KB56 Member Posts: 318 Member
    when could i eat again

Steve, i had 34 radiation treatments and 7 Erbitux.   I had a tube during treatment and really, really needed it and lost 40+ pounds without it and I didn't have it to spare.   I got my tube out on July 5th and finished treatment in on June 13th.   In hindsight I probably got it out a few weeks before I should have.

I lived on all the soft foods (eggs, yogurt, protein shakes, steamed vegetables, fish, baked potatoes, etc) for months and it was about 5 months before i could eat without stressing over it.  For me it was the pain of eating (really my throat not my mouth) and I got my taste buds back after a few weeks (like maybe 6 weeks or so) so it wasn't a taste thing but it really hurt to swallow. 

I'm 2 years out now and can eat pretty much anything i want except spicy.  My tongue is still really sensitive to spicy foods but other than that I'm pretty good.     I've put all the weight back on and life is good!

Hopefully your can enjoy eating well before 5 months as you indicated your mouth wasn't as bad as it was which means it's improving.   From what I've read and friends I've talked to, my was pretty much the average.    it will continue to get a litle better (and I mean a little) and then one day you eat and it really doesn't hurt.  

It will happen just keep forcing yourself to eat, stick to the softer "stuff" in the short term and expand the choices when you can.  Congratulations on finishing.  It is truely a fantastic feeling!!!

Keith

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    KB56 said:

when could i eat again

Steve, i had 34 radiation treatments and 7 Erbitux.   I had a tube during treatment and really, really needed it and lost 40+ pounds without it and I didn't have it to spare.   I got my tube out on July 5th and finished treatment in on June 13th.   In hindsight I probably got it out a few weeks before I should have.

I lived on all the soft foods (eggs, yogurt, protein shakes, steamed vegetables, fish, baked potatoes, etc) for months and it was about 5 months before i could eat without stressing over it.  For me it was the pain of eating (really my throat not my mouth) and I got my taste buds back after a few weeks (like maybe 6 weeks or so) so it wasn't a taste thing but it really hurt to swallow. 

I'm 2 years out now and can eat pretty much anything i want except spicy.  My tongue is still really sensitive to spicy foods but other than that I'm pretty good.     I've put all the weight back on and life is good!

Hopefully your can enjoy eating well before 5 months as you indicated your mouth wasn't as bad as it was which means it's improving.   From what I've read and friends I've talked to, my was pretty much the average.    it will continue to get a litle better (and I mean a little) and then one day you eat and it really doesn't hurt.  

It will happen just keep forcing yourself to eat, stick to the softer "stuff" in the short term and expand the choices when you can.  Congratulations on finishing.  It is truely a fantastic feeling!!!

Keith