PEG help

NJMOM
NJMOM Member Posts: 64

My husband had his PEG inserted earlier today and seems to be in quite a bit of pain. I'm sure this is completely normal but since the doctor didnt have the decency to come find me after the procedure I'm coming to you professionals. Did any of you suffer the day of your PEG insertion and is there anything to help ease the pain and/or discomfort.  No fluids or food until 12 hours after surgery so I can't even give him something for the pain right now. Thanks!

Comments

• corleone
    corleone Member Posts: 312 Member
    I had intense pain for about

I had intense pain for about 2 days (dull pain with bouts of excruciating pain). Others didn't have such problems. Check for any signs of hemorrhage (a few drops initially are normal), signs of local infection (redness/pus and pain around the insertion hole, fever - although these might appear days after that). So I wouldn’t be worried unless pain does not subside in a couple of days or so.

• NJMOM
    corleone said:

I had intense pain for about

I had intense pain for about 2 days (dull pain with bouts of excruciating pain). Others didn't have such problems. Check for any signs of hemorrhage (a few drops initially are normal), signs of local infection (redness/pus and pain around the insertion hole, fever - although these might appear days after that). So I wouldn’t be worried unless pain does not subside in a couple of days or so.

Thanks

Thanks...when he's feeling better I'll ask him to let me take a look at it to make sure everything looks ok.

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    NJMOM said:

Thanks

Thanks...when he's feeling better I'll ask him to let me take a look at it to make sure everything looks ok.

make sure

The device is not pulling on the incision.  The tubing needs to be secured against the body.  Jim reports he did not have much pain.  Everyone is different.

• robswife87
    robswife87 Member Posts: 209
    Hubby hurt

My hubby hurt real bad after his for a good 48 hours. He could not lay down to sleep it hurt to sit, etc. When it became time for bed I was able to get him comfortable on the couch with a lot of pillows behind him and up under his knees. You can give him his meds. If he is still swallowing give him just enough water to get it down. Maybe with a little bit of room temp milk to coat the stomach. Do not let him suffer.

• nannahannah
    nannahannah Member Posts: 5
    PEG help

Hi hope this helps.  My husband's peg was put in last Tues.  From the start he said they "did it wrong"; He kept complaining.  I thought it cause it new surgery then I thought gas finally I called surgeon and he saw him and the tube was too tight he had to loosen tension.  Robert feeling so much better he is tinkering around fixxing stuff walked  to mailbox.

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Hurt like hell....

the first day....then gradually went away by day 3 or 4....it was shocking that it hurt so much, even the surgeon who put in my port got concerned.....but, it went away quickly. 

p

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    PEGless in Oregon

NJMOM,

I had 2 PEGs, the first was very painful and did not work worth crap. The second one was great and worked at full swoosh and fast gravity drip.

If you are able, remember to drink lots of water and swallow often.  It can pay benefits throughout treatments.

Matt

• NJMOM
    CivilMatt said:

PEGless in Oregon

NJMOM,

I had 2 PEGs, the first was very painful and did not work worth crap. The second one was great and worked at full swoosh and fast gravity drip.

If you are able, remember to drink lots of water and swallow often.  It can pay benefits throughout treatments.

Matt

Thanks all

He seems to be feeling better today and we see the doctor who inserted it tomorrow so we'll know for sure that everything is the way it's supposed to be. To date, he has no swelling of the throat, nor pain, sores etc. and if I know him he will hold off using the PEG until or unless it's not humanly possible for him to eat and drink normally. His doctors were pretty insistent that he get it and get it early in treatment or else I don't think he'd have gone through with it. Personally, I hope he never needs it but from all I've read it's so much better to have it in place in case you need it rather than waiting. As if having cancer isn't bad enough for all you wonderful people, what you have to endure to become cancer free is just mind boggling!! 

• jackflash22
    jackflash22 Member Posts: 524 Member
    my PEG hurt at first, like

my PEG hurt at first, like something pulling and sticking in me. Once it was loosened a bit it was OK.

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    irrigating

Home health came and explained the proper care and feeding of the PEGWink: Jim never had to use his for nutrition but you do have to irrigate it daily to keep it working.

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member

irrigating

Home health came and explained the proper care and feeding of the PEGWink: Jim never had to use his for nutrition but you do have to irrigate it daily to keep it working.

PEG

Liked mine so much I kept it for 1-1/2 years, though stopped using it a couple weeks after the last rad. 

If he's not using it, then keeping it open w/flushing is good advise for when the time comes, if it does. Used mine from weeks #2-9, and was the only way I got nutrition in me- Jevity was the stuff. Wash the area daily. Dial soap is good. I used it and Peroxide around the area, but have since heard Peroxideimage is not that good of an idea. 

kass

• hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    Kent Cass said:

PEG

Liked mine so much I kept it for 1-1/2 years, though stopped using it a couple weeks after the last rad. 

If he's not using it, then keeping it open w/flushing is good advise for when the time comes, if it does. Used mine from weeks #2-9, and was the only way I got nutrition in me- Jevity was the stuff. Wash the area daily. Dial soap is good. I used it and Peroxide around the area, but have since heard Peroxideimage is not that good of an idea. 

kass

Hi Kent

Kent 

So good to hear from you again.  How is the Quad Cities treating you?   Go Cubs !!

All the best,

Steve

• hawk711
    hawk711 Member Posts: 566
    hawk711 said:

Hi Kent

Kent 

So good to hear from you again.  How is the Quad Cities treating you?   Go Cubs !!

All the best,

Steve

Pain Goes away

They just poked a hole in your body, it will hurt for a couple days then go away.  I used my PEG for 13 months and I couldn't have done the treatment without it. 

Good Luck to you, it works well.

Steve