Surgery went well

Hi All,

Just wanted to give you an update.  Surgery lasted 6 hours. 12-6 on Wednesday. Wednesday night wasn't bad at all. I suppose all of the drugs may have had a lot to do with it.

I was able to come home yesterday. Last night was rough. The gas pains were pretty intense.

I am doing really well today. Walking and resting and walking. I can actually stand up straight now without it hurting too badly. However, a pillow on my stomach has been my best friend!

I don't have an appetite but trying to make myself eat.  Oh, I have a question for all of you... How the heck can a person have surgery, with body parts removed and GAIN 7 pounds?! I am not kidding. I have a huge  belly and I gained weight.  Go figure!!!

On the positive side.... I have not had any hot flashes or night sweats. That is the first time in 10 years. Perhaps my silver lining in all of this?! lol

The doctor said things look very promising. Of course it is an automatic grade III, but it looks like it may have stayed contained. He took lots of samples so the pathology report will be huge.

Oh, I am sporting a huge fat lip! I have a small mouth so I guess the tubes did the damage. It is quite sore.  And, lots of bruises from the IVs in both arms.

Finally, once again I want to thank every single person on this discussion board. I was at peace when I went into surgery. Didn't even have elevated blood pressure. Kind of strange but I FELT all of the prayers from friends, family and my sisters here. So thank you, thank you. thank you!

Love,

Cindi

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    HI Cindi:
    Glad to hear you

HI Cindi:

Glad to hear you are back home from your surgery and all seems well.  Walking is a good thing.  It helps get rid of gas and gets everything moving. 

Keeping you in my prayers for a quick recovery.

Kathy

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Yay, Cindi!

Glad it went well and that your surgeon is optimistic.  Once again, it sounds like we are on the same path.

As far as the gas pains go, for me, it took about a week before all of the stuff they pumped in dissipated.  Nights were definitely the worst, and a few nights I just got up and moved around until I found a comfortable position somewhere, sofa, chair, whatever, and just stayed there.  It will get better, but yeah, it is nasty.

I think that 7 pounds is mostly fluids that were pumped into you during and after surgery.  Saline, etc.  I was quite puffy after surgery, but after a few days things were pretty much back to normal.

Make yourself rest.  If you're like me, the minute you feel better, you want to do more.  I have made it part of my routine right now to take a couple of hours in the afternoon as quiet time.  I either doze or maybe read, and turn off all of the phones.  

I'm so happy you are home and recovering well.  Keep us posted!

Chris

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,353 Member
    Glad to hear it went so

Glad to hear it went so well!!!  That is great.  I remember not wanting to eat either and having to force myself. 

Keep at it all, sleep (your body needs to recover), eating, and moving.  I did take Gas-X to help with the gas.

• molimoli
    molimoli Member Posts: 514
    New page,Yesterday is gone.

I hope your clean slate status that surgery seem to  give will remain so always . NED is the forever goal I wish it so for you, hope you have a speedy uncomplicated recovery,You stay strong and remember say NO to depression that usually creeps in around now, reject it and go on with your life,it is a stinker that serves no purpose but to hinder everything good.

Nuff love Moli.

• AWK
    AWK Member Posts: 364 Member
    Yay!

Now you need to be gentle with yourself and don't overdo things.  Walk, stay hydrated and don't lift things, use your pillow and take medication for pain as needed.  Still keeping you in my prayers.  Sending hugs!  Anne

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    AWK said:

Yay!

Now you need to be gentle with yourself and don't overdo things.  Walk, stay hydrated and don't lift things, use your pillow and take medication for pain as needed.  Still keeping you in my prayers.  Sending hugs!  Anne

3RD day post surgery / Day 4 in progress

Hi All, Thanks for your kind words and support.

I want to document this next information for new people coming into this journey. I'm sure it will come as no surprise to those that came into this ahead of me.

Here goes:

Yesterday was really bad. The gas pains continued to plague me. I made a decision to get off the pain meds in hopes that I could get my system moving. The good news is, I made it through the day without any pain management. But, it wasn't easy. Also, I was VERY cranky! I warned my husband ahead of time just in case I snapped at him. Well, I didn't do that, thankfully. But, nothing felt good. I didn't want to talk to anyone. Didn't want to do anything except feel better. I don't think I felt sorry for myself (maybe) but I sure was not a happy camper. I still don't have much of an appetite so continue to force myself to eat.

Day 4 (today) I woke up feeling so much better. I did get things moving so the final functional test has been completed. whew! I sneezed 2 times (ouch). I can stand up almost straight without having to try too hard. I have walked my little guys 3 times today. What I have noticed though is I feel more fatigued today. So, I do stuff then come back a rest a long time. (by stuff, I mean getting my own drink and walking.) A shower is planned! I skipped that yesterday so can't wait to feel clean again.

That's about the extent of my experience so far.

Cindi

• TeddyandBears_Mom

3RD day post surgery / Day 4 in progress

Hi All, Thanks for your kind words and support.

I want to document this next information for new people coming into this journey. I'm sure it will come as no surprise to those that came into this ahead of me.

Here goes:

Yesterday was really bad. The gas pains continued to plague me. I made a decision to get off the pain meds in hopes that I could get my system moving. The good news is, I made it through the day without any pain management. But, it wasn't easy. Also, I was VERY cranky! I warned my husband ahead of time just in case I snapped at him. Well, I didn't do that, thankfully. But, nothing felt good. I didn't want to talk to anyone. Didn't want to do anything except feel better. I don't think I felt sorry for myself (maybe) but I sure was not a happy camper. I still don't have much of an appetite so continue to force myself to eat.

Day 4 (today) I woke up feeling so much better. I did get things moving so the final functional test has been completed. whew! I sneezed 2 times (ouch). I can stand up almost straight without having to try too hard. I have walked my little guys 3 times today. What I have noticed though is I feel more fatigued today. So, I do stuff then come back a rest a long time. (by stuff, I mean getting my own drink and walking.) A shower is planned! I skipped that yesterday so can't wait to feel clean again.

That's about the extent of my experience so far.

Cindi

post surgery update - still documenting for newbies

So, this is the start of day 10. The healing process is interesting. Just when you feel good, you feel bad again. I have to say, the gas pains was the biggest challenge for me. It took 8 days to get the final stuff out of my system. I am now back to my weight prior to surgery. Actually, I'm half a pound under where I started.  Days 6, 8 and 9 were very heavy fatigue days for me. I had to force myself to walk and did little else.  I feel good this morning and I'm hoping for a higher level of energy most of the day. My sister continues to coach me on patience. She tells me week 3 will bring on much more consistency for feeling good.  She and my husband know me the best. And, they know that having limitations will wear on me faster than just about anything. OK, I admit it... self patience isn't at the top of my list of abilities.  (For those that didn't see my other post - my sister has had Thyroid, Uterine and Pancreatic cancer. She is my rock!)

I was finally able to sleep on my side last night. Sleeping on my back is at the bottom of my desired things to do! However, doing so was needed since it hurt to do otherwise. I guess all of that empty space in there needs to adjust.  Oh, and it is a lot easier to get up and down now. I don't feel that pulling sensation so much. And, the stomach muscle strength is better.  I still have some puffiness in my stomach area. But, way less now.

Overall, I would say the worst part of dealing with the cancer news is the first two weeks. I have seen other posts where our mentors have said the same thing. There is so much apprehension, shock, fear, waiting and then acceptance? Not sure that is the correct word for it. For me, it was coming to terms, positioning to fight for my life and accepting that I'm going to be messed with a lot for a while.  Today, I have a sense of peace and feel like I will be strong enough to go through whatever is needed to win.

Love to all,

Cindi

• Cucu me
    Cucu me Member Posts: 213 Member

So, this is the start of day 10. The healing process is interesting. Just when you feel good, you feel bad again. I have to say, the gas pains was the biggest challenge for me. It took 8 days to get the final stuff out of my system. I am now back to my weight prior to surgery. Actually, I'm half a pound under where I started.  Days 6, 8 and 9 were very heavy fatigue days for me. I had to force myself to walk and did little else.  I feel good this morning and I'm hoping for a higher level of energy most of the day. My sister continues to coach me on patience. She tells me week 3 will bring on much more consistency for feeling good.  She and my husband know me the best. And, they know that having limitations will wear on me faster than just about anything. OK, I admit it... self patience isn't at the top of my list of abilities.  (For those that didn't see my other post - my sister has had Thyroid, Uterine and Pancreatic cancer. She is my rock!)

I was finally able to sleep on my side last night. Sleeping on my back is at the bottom of my desired things to do! However, doing so was needed since it hurt to do otherwise. I guess all of that empty space in there needs to adjust.  Oh, and it is a lot easier to get up and down now. I don't feel that pulling sensation so much. And, the stomach muscle strength is better.  I still have some puffiness in my stomach area. But, way less now.

Overall, I would say the worst part of dealing with the cancer news is the first two weeks. I have seen other posts where our mentors have said the same thing. There is so much apprehension, shock, fear, waiting and then acceptance? Not sure that is the correct word for it. For me, it was coming to terms, positioning to fight for my life and accepting that I'm going to be messed with a lot for a while.  Today, I have a sense of peace and feel like I will be strong enough to go through whatever is needed to win.

Love to all,

Cindi

It took me a month

after the surgery to get really good, almost like before...

What is going to happen after the following treatments and in future noone knows,

so be brave and best wishes to all of us.

• Editgrl

Love to all,

Cindi

Noticeable difference in Week 3 Post-Op

Cindi, I agree with your sister. I noticed a major improvement after the first two weeks. In just a matter of days, I felt almost back to my normal self.  Almost.  I still am allowing myself a couple of hours in the afternoon to either doze or just be quiet.  That helps keep me from overdoing when I feel good.  My tummy is still swollen, but at least I can see some things that were hidden for a couple of weeks!  I am back to driving.  While the gas from the surgery has all gone, I have still been experiencing quite a big of gastrointestinal gas.  Now at the end of week 3, it seems to be improving, but my stomach still seems to get bloated very easily after meals.  I have discovered that if I walk after eating, it helps to move things along, so I am taking evening walks and trying not to eat after dinner at all.

It sounds like you are recuperating well.  It's hard to be patient with our bodies, but finally, after years of athletic endeavors and injuries, I have learned that the body heals in its own time and we can't rush it.  That being said, I am attending a dance workshop this afternoon.  My plan is to just observe, but I might try a few steps with an experienced leader just to see how I do.  I have tried a bit of practice at home this past week and have been pleasantly surprised, so who knows?

I think you will feel much better at the end of your third week.  

Hugs,

Chris

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Editgrl said:

Noticeable difference in Week 3 Post-Op

Cindi, I agree with your sister. I noticed a major improvement after the first two weeks. In just a matter of days, I felt almost back to my normal self.  Almost.  I still am allowing myself a couple of hours in the afternoon to either doze or just be quiet.  That helps keep me from overdoing when I feel good.  My tummy is still swollen, but at least I can see some things that were hidden for a couple of weeks!  I am back to driving.  While the gas from the surgery has all gone, I have still been experiencing quite a big of gastrointestinal gas.  Now at the end of week 3, it seems to be improving, but my stomach still seems to get bloated very easily after meals.  I have discovered that if I walk after eating, it helps to move things along, so I am taking evening walks and trying not to eat after dinner at all.

It sounds like you are recuperating well.  It's hard to be patient with our bodies, but finally, after years of athletic endeavors and injuries, I have learned that the body heals in its own time and we can't rush it.  That being said, I am attending a dance workshop this afternoon.  My plan is to just observe, but I might try a few steps with an experienced leader just to see how I do.  I have tried a bit of practice at home this past week and have been pleasantly surprised, so who knows?

I think you will feel much better at the end of your third week.  

Hugs,

Chris

good input!

Hey Chris, so glad you posted! I have also had the gastrointestinal gas pains. Sharp pains. Way less today so far. I have learned to eat way smaller portions.  Seems to help.

Be careful dancing! But enjoy the heck out of it! Life is too short not to.

I was given a 6 week restriction list. No lifting over 10 pounds, limited physical exertion - they even listed things like don't vaccuum! No driving for 2-3 weeks.  Walking seems to be the most preferred from of movement on the list.  So, I suppose as long as you don't jump around like a crazy woman, you can stretch the definition into dancing! :-)

Cindi

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Cucu me said:

It took me a month

after the surgery to get really good, almost like before...

What is going to happen after the following treatments and in future noone knows,

so be brave and best wishes to all of us.

AGREE!

Best wishes to all for speedy recoveries.  I'm still waiting to find out my pathology results to learn what is next in my treatment plan.  My hope is chemo only with no radiation. We shall see. Still, will do what is needed to live. My appointment is 8/7 for that next step.

• Editgrl

good input!

Hey Chris, so glad you posted! I have also had the gastrointestinal gas pains. Sharp pains. Way less today so far. I have learned to eat way smaller portions.  Seems to help.

Be careful dancing! But enjoy the heck out of it! Life is too short not to.

I was given a 6 week restriction list. No lifting over 10 pounds, limited physical exertion - they even listed things like don't vaccuum! No driving for 2-3 weeks.  Walking seems to be the most preferred from of movement on the list.  So, I suppose as long as you don't jump around like a crazy woman, you can stretch the definition into dancing! :-)

Cindi

I asked about restrictions

and my doctor said no lifting over 8 lbs for the first week.  Um, I am still not going to lift anything heavy, and I'm using the boyfriend to schlep 50 lb. bags of horsefeed.  As far as other exercise, she said to use my own judgement.  Uh oh! I could drive when it felt comfortable and I was completely off the narcotic.  I was not very comfortable last week and decided to wait, but the last couple of days are fine in the car.  Nice to be independently mobile again.   Somebody else mentioned vacuuming being a no-no.  Hmmm...  suddenly I don't feel like I can do that.  I'm sure I can get someone to do that for me lol.

I did dance, and I don't feel bad at all.  And yes, there were "walk" steps involved. I am going to try to take it easy the rest of the day and see how I feel tomorrow.  Unfortunately, my refrigerator crapped out last night, so the first part of today was a mess cleaning out thawed stuff and trying to save cold stuff.  BF is coming over to clear out stuff and transfer to his refrigerator.  I will shop online and then go out tomorrow to look at some.  At least it didn't happen right after the surgery, though.  I would have been pissed if all my soup that I had made had been ruined.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    Final post surgery - post

Hi All,

Day 13.  Starting out really well. More energy this morning. Yesterday was once again a heavy fatique day. I also had some new pains so decided to go ahead and document whatever else I have experienced as embarassing as they may be. What the heck, we discussed V size... can't get too much more personal now can it?! lol  I invite all of those ahead of me in this process to add your findings if you want. Again, my goal in this is to give the next lady a point of reference.

Here we go:

Still have sharp gas pains at times. Much less though.

Going to the bathroom is still not "normal" ... sharp pains before elimination and you don't dare help anything move out. Sit patiently and let nature do its' thing.

Yesterday brought on some sharp pains in my vagina. Not bad enough for pain meds, but certainly not fun.

Right leg was aching. And, from the groin to the upper thigh, I have a numbing sensation.

Finally able to sleep without a pillow between my legs. Or behind my legs depending on the position.

Sadly, my hot flashes and night sweats came back darn it! While I enjoyed the reprieve from them, I don't miss the chills that I had for the first 4 days post surgery.

I probably forgot something but will close with this.... I did not find this surgery to be horrible. I look forward to getting back to my normal strength and physical abilities. It is important to continue to remind oneself to rest and ask for help. I have been able to give in to the need to rest so far. I suspect that will become more challenging as I begin to feel better for longer periods of time. Cindi

• Editgrl

Final post surgery - post

Hi All,

Day 13.  Starting out really well. More energy this morning. Yesterday was once again a heavy fatique day. I also had some new pains so decided to go ahead and document whatever else I have experienced as embarassing as they may be. What the heck, we discussed V size... can't get too much more personal now can it?! lol  I invite all of those ahead of me in this process to add your findings if you want. Again, my goal in this is to give the next lady a point of reference.

Here we go:

Still have sharp gas pains at times. Much less though.

Going to the bathroom is still not "normal" ... sharp pains before elimination and you don't dare help anything move out. Sit patiently and let nature do its' thing.

Yesterday brought on some sharp pains in my vagina. Not bad enough for pain meds, but certainly not fun.

Right leg was aching. And, from the groin to the upper thigh, I have a numbing sensation.

Finally able to sleep without a pillow between my legs. Or behind my legs depending on the position.

Sadly, my hot flashes and night sweats came back darn it! While I enjoyed the reprieve from them, I don't miss the chills that I had for the first 4 days post surgery.

I probably forgot something but will close with this.... I did not find this surgery to be horrible. I look forward to getting back to my normal strength and physical abilities. It is important to continue to remind oneself to rest and ask for help. I have been able to give in to the need to rest so far. I suspect that will become more challenging as I begin to feel better for longer periods of time. Cindi

Good to hear, Cindi.

Like you, my gas pains and bloating have continued to diminish.  The only other abdominal pains I have had are occasional twinges that are mild and transient.  My tummy skin in general does seem to be overly sensitive though that's getting better, too, but I have been wearing loose dresses and going commando as much as possible since surgery.  I wonder at what point I will be able to put my "normal" pants on, since when I do wear pants since surgery, they are of the drawstring type.  Though the swelling has gone done a bit (I almost have a flat stomach in the morning when I wake up!) I am still not close to my normal size.

Energy level is beginning to approach normal, but I am making myself rest in the afternoon even if I don't think I need to.  I did overdo on Saturday because I felt so good, and I paid the price on Sunday.  That won't happen again.

I had two bouts of minor constipation this past week, probably due to me not drinking enough, but that was resolved rather quickly, and I seem to be back to my old schedule.

Sleeping has improved to the point where I am waking up maybe once to pee and being able to sleep in later.  

And, I have begun to regain the weight that I lost with surgery.

Looking forward to getting back on my bike soon, maybe next week.