Wig reimbursement!

christald21
christald21 Member Posts: 55

My fricken Insurance sucks... they said they reimburse my for the wig i bought.. even if it is out of network....  I had a prescription, and sent them all the info, reciepts, etc...  And they won't give me anything....   Is there anything out there for cancer patients that can help with this....  my stupid insurance, is Cigna!  They are so tough

Comments

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Near and dear to my heart . . .

As someone whose hair did not fully return after chemo, I can only sympathesize as I now have to wear wigs.  And I will wear them for the rest of my life.  I have PERMANENT alopecia, a rare, but not so rare, side effect of Taxotere.  As far as I know, there is no financial help available, either via my insurance or elsewhere.  You can often get wigs and head covers during chemo through some means, but there is no help if you're left bald forever.  You might call the Komen Foundation and see what they suggest.  Lots of people donate things, but I don't know about actual financial reimbursement.  Contest the decision of your insurance company if they told you up front that they would reimburse you.  Sometimes the squeaky wheel . . .

Suzanne

• bevaschia
    bevaschia Member Posts: 53

Near and dear to my heart . . .

As someone whose hair did not fully return after chemo, I can only sympathesize as I now have to wear wigs.  And I will wear them for the rest of my life.  I have PERMANENT alopecia, a rare, but not so rare, side effect of Taxotere.  As far as I know, there is no financial help available, either via my insurance or elsewhere.  You can often get wigs and head covers during chemo through some means, but there is no help if you're left bald forever.  You might call the Komen Foundation and see what they suggest.  Lots of people donate things, but I don't know about actual financial reimbursement.  Contest the decision of your insurance company if they told you up front that they would reimburse you.  Sometimes the squeaky wheel . . .

Suzanne

I learned today that if your

I learned today that if your doctor gives you a prescription for cranial prosthesis and if insurance will not reimburse, it can become a tax deduction.  That may help some.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    bevaschia said:

I learned today that if your

I learned today that if your doctor gives you a prescription for cranial prosthesis and if insurance will not reimburse, it can become a tax deduction.  That may help some.

Any updates?

any updates?

• linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    wig

My stupid insurance company wouldn't pay for my wig either (Highmark Blue Shield).  The American Cancer Society did have free wigs (new, not used), so i got one there as well.  It's good I had 2, because one got burned when I took something out of my hot oven.  The hairs just all sort of melted and fizzled.