Tramadol and breathing

jim and i
jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member

My mom has developed severe pain in her lower back. The oridinal PET in Feb 2015 showed some uptake in lower spine so I suspect it has pread in here back. They gave her Loritab but she couldn't stand or walk while taking it and it wore off in a couple hours. Now her PC has prescribed Tramodol which is helping some. I was however alarmed to read that you should not take it with Asthma or breathing problems as it slows the breathing. Well she has both asthma and shallow breathing caused by the cancer. Has anyone taken this med for pain? She goes to oncologist today but he only allows my younger sister in there since she has medical power of attorney. I asked her to ask him but dont know if she will remember. 

Anyone have experience with Tramadol? Debbie

Comments

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Tramadol

I have never used Tramadol. It looks like it has more side effects than Lortab. Lortab is much stronger and is 10/500 and I would think he might have cut it back to 5/500 or 7.5/325 before dropping way down to Tamadol which is very weak. Most of those come with some breathing warnings and the doctor is aware of her breathing I hope.

I added a link to drug compairson chart as a reference. Most doctors don't like it when you sugest what meds or pain pill to take, but I have had to word it so they didn't get upset. I was going to be taking to much acetaminophen in 24 hours so I got him to change to one that had less acetaminophen . Best of luck, but keep an eye on her on any new meds.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/painkiller-comparison.htm 

Bill

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Tamadol HCL50mg

Hi Debbie

I been taking Tamadol HCL50mg for about 12 years, it is the only pain med that never gave me any side effects, A few years ago when my pain started getting worse my ENT put me on Nucynta 100mg to offset the pain on the left side of my face. So I took them both for almost two years before someone realized it and told me to stop taking them together it will kill me. They also said I can not cut the Nucynta or break it in half I must take the pill hold. I laugh and said it will not fit in the PEG tube that way, I don’t know about all the warning on the bottle and what I read about the stuff on the internet. This I do know I still take them together like I always did and so far nether of them has giving me side effects. It might be because of the low dosage I am not sure, this is my experience with take  Tamadol HCL50mg and taking Nucynta 100mg. I am keeping you both in prayer.

Tim

• jim and i
    wmc said:

Tramadol

I have never used Tramadol. It looks like it has more side effects than Lortab. Lortab is much stronger and is 10/500 and I would think he might have cut it back to 5/500 or 7.5/325 before dropping way down to Tamadol which is very weak. Most of those come with some breathing warnings and the doctor is aware of her breathing I hope.

I added a link to drug compairson chart as a reference. Most doctors don't like it when you sugest what meds or pain pill to take, but I have had to word it so they didn't get upset. I was going to be taking to much acetaminophen in 24 hours so I got him to change to one that had less acetaminophen . Best of luck, but keep an eye on her on any new meds.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/painkiller-comparison.htm 

Bill

Thanks Bill. She wouldn't

Thanks Bill. She wouldn't take the Loritab because of the way it made her feel. The tramadol seems to be helping but makes her sleep alot. Of course she was sleeping a lot anyway. 

• jim and i
    Hondo said:

Tamadol HCL50mg

Hi Debbie

I been taking Tamadol HCL50mg for about 12 years, it is the only pain med that never gave me any side effects, A few years ago when my pain started getting worse my ENT put me on Nucynta 100mg to offset the pain on the left side of my face. So I took them both for almost two years before someone realized it and told me to stop taking them together it will kill me. They also said I can not cut the Nucynta or break it in half I must take the pill hold. I laugh and said it will not fit in the PEG tube that way, I don’t know about all the warning on the bottle and what I read about the stuff on the internet. This I do know I still take them together like I always did and so far nether of them has giving me side effects. It might be because of the low dosage I am not sure, this is my experience with take  Tamadol HCL50mg and taking Nucynta 100mg. I am keeping you both in prayer.

Tim

Thanks for the prayers and

Thanks for the prayers and sharing your experiences Tim. It seems to be helping where the Loritab didn't. The oncologist has ordered exrays of her back to see what is going on with it. 

• fishmanpa
    fishmanpa Member Posts: 1,227 Member
    Tramadol

I've been on Tramadol since the prescription narcotics were discontinued 2 years ago. Up until just recently, I was taking 50-200mg a day for pain. Since I started acupuncture, it has tapered off to 50-100mg 2x a week at the most. The only side effect I've had is constipation. Worst case scenario is a dose MoM to get things going. No breathing issues at all. 

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

• slk2015
    slk2015 Member Posts: 54
    tramadol

I took tramadol for about two years for migraines and a cough.  It had to be discontinued when I developed severe itching and diifficulty breathing--signs of an allergy.  It helped with my restless leg syndrome.  Since it wasn't narcotic, it was easier to fill prescriptions and the doctor was happier about using it.  I went back to hydrocodone for the cough and ibuprofen for the migraines.  Most of the narcotic pain killers have warnings about breathing.  Actually, if you read the warnings on all medications, you won't ever want to take one again.  Even ibuprofen is now buried under frightening warnings.  I have usually been able to tell if a medication was causing breathing problems versus the illness.  It doesn't look like any other kinds of shallow breathing and it comes on right after taking the drug.

It's an interesting thing with pain medications in that it's very person specific.  Fetenyl and most other narcotic pain relievers did not work for me.  I spent 3 days in the hospital trying to find something that works.  Only Dilauded worked and it's very short acting.  However, I was happy to find anything that worked.

Lortab causes dizziness in a lot of people.  I can't take the generics due to allergies to too many of them (getting a new Rx when you can't take a generic narcotic is so much fun...).  Name-brand drugs are very expensive, but what choice do we have?

Just keep an eye on your mom and watch for changes.  Tramadol can make you tired and dizzy both as side effects.