Type 1 Diabetes and chemotherapy

Options
SDCA76
SDCA76 Member Posts: 5

Recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer, HER2+ which will likely require chemotherapy, surgery, radiation. Have had Type 1 diabetes, on insulin pump for 41 years, stage 3A kidney disease.  I am concerned about kidneys and diabetes management, both high blood sugar from drugs, and low blood sugar from nausea and vomiting after taking insulin, during cancer treatment.  I would appreciate insight from anyone who also has both conditions who has gone through treatment.

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    someone here on our site will post ... in meantime

try calling 800-227-2345 American Cancer Society for information or research ..

Our thoughts, and prayers are with you.

Vicki Sam

• tjhay1
    tjhay1 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    i have diabetes

talk to your oncono about this, and also with your other doctors, they will monitor your kidneys why you are going through chemo. I have had no problems so far and i am a chemo lifer

tjhay

• SDCA76
    Options
    Chemotherapy and blood sugar control

I have discussed with my physicians and contacted ACS which are both good.  Still hope to hear about reality from a patient's viewpoint about the challenges of avoiding and treating low and high blood sugars surrounding chemo.  Insulin adjustments will likely be tricky.  I start on chemo in a few weeks.  Thanks.

• cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    SDCA76 said:

Chemotherapy and blood sugar control

I have discussed with my physicians and contacted ACS which are both good.  Still hope to hear about reality from a patient's viewpoint about the challenges of avoiding and treating low and high blood sugars surrounding chemo.  Insulin adjustments will likely be tricky.  I start on chemo in a few weeks.  Thanks.

breastcancer.org

You may want to try posting on breastcancer.org. It is a website totally devoted to breast cancer. There more than likely will be more women on there that have diabetes and chemo or had it.

Good luck to you!

• nanacin
    nanacin Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Diabetes and breast cancer is doable!

I have had type 1 diabetes for 46 years, dx'd with IDC cancer, stage 3 with lymph node involvement in Sept. 2014. I had 16 rounds of chemo, 33 radiations, lumpectomy and 6 lymph nodes removed. I just finished radiation appx. 5 weeks ago. I have to be honest, controlling my diabetes was very difficult. I worked with my family doctor increasing my Lantus massively the day of chemo and checked my blood many times a day. I tested in the 500's when I received chemo. I faxed my reading to my doctor who would then call and tell me how much to increase for each chemo treatment. It took a while but I kept it under control. I had massive infections during chemo and was on antibiotics many many weeks for one thing after another. The radiation wasn't bad until the last month and I developed a sore under my arm and under my breast which were very painful. Used a special ointment for weeks and wore no bra. Steroids are what affects your blood sugar reading so I worked with my oncologist and reduced them gradually for each chemo session until I was at the lowest possible dose I could take. I also refused the Benadryl they give you to relax you because i drove myself to chemo. I am raising a 16 year old grandchild and didn't want her to see me not being strong. I did have massive bone pain at the end of my chemo and became very very weak to the point I had a walker if I needed it. I am doing really well now but take a nap almost every day still. I am back to cleaning my house but It takes me two days now which is okay. Just tell yourself that you are going to get thru this. I was really pissed that I had cancer. We had lost out 31 year old daughter to cancer 6 years ago and are raising our granddaughter now. I am determined to not make her watch another peron suffer like her mom did so my attitude towards this was very strong and still is. I just had my port removed yesterday. Yeah! I will be happy to chat with you about all the side affects that you can get because of the diabetes but no two people are the same. They are all treatable and you can get thru this. Be positive and pull your big girl's panties up. We will beat this. Take Care, Cindy

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    nanacin said:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 46 years, dx'd with IDC cancer, stage 3 with lymph node involvement in Sept. 2014. I had 16 rounds of chemo, 33 radiations, lumpectomy and 6 lymph nodes removed. I just finished radiation appx. 5 weeks ago. I have to be honest, controlling my diabetes was very difficult. I worked with my family doctor increasing my Lantus massively the day of chemo and checked my blood many times a day. I tested in the 500's when I received chemo. I faxed my reading to my doctor who would then call and tell me how much to increase for each chemo treatment. It took a while but I kept it under control. I had massive infections during chemo and was on antibiotics many many weeks for one thing after another. The radiation wasn't bad until the last month and I developed a sore under my arm and under my breast which were very painful. Used a special ointment for weeks and wore no bra. Steroids are what affects your blood sugar reading so I worked with my oncologist and reduced them gradually for each chemo session until I was at the lowest possible dose I could take. I also refused the Benadryl they give you to relax you because i drove myself to chemo. I am raising a 16 year old grandchild and didn't want her to see me not being strong. I did have massive bone pain at the end of my chemo and became very very weak to the point I had a walker if I needed it. I am doing really well now but take a nap almost every day still. I am back to cleaning my house but It takes me two days now which is okay. Just tell yourself that you are going to get thru this. I was really pissed that I had cancer. We had lost out 31 year old daughter to cancer 6 years ago and are raising our granddaughter now. I am determined to not make her watch another peron suffer like her mom did so my attitude towards this was very strong and still is. I just had my port removed yesterday. Yeah! I will be happy to chat with you about all the side affects that you can get because of the diabetes but no two people are the same. They are all treatable and you can get thru this. Be positive and pull your big girl's panties up. We will beat this. Take Care, Cindy

Hoping all is good ...

SDCA please check in when time permits.   We are here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Vicki Sam

• SDCA76
    Options
    nanacin said:

Diabetes and Breast CA management

Thanks for your thorough response, Cindy.  I started reading more on the breastcancer.org site and kind of forgot about this one.  You have certainly been through alot and have experienced some of the problems that concern me.  I guess you are past the bad parts now-congratulations!  I had my port placed this week and start chemo on Monday and am as prepared as I can be, after reading and studying up on how to best manage things.  Just today, the oncologist told me to reduce the amount of steroid he prescribed before the treatment, to minimize the effects.  I just hope to stay out of too much trouble, but expect the diabetes control to be less than optimal.  Any other hints are welcome and I will check back on this board!  Take care.

• SDCA76
    Options

breastcancer.org

You may want to try posting on breastcancer.org. It is a website totally devoted to breast cancer. There more than likely will be more women on there that have diabetes and chemo or had it.

Good luck to you!

Good idea. Thanks.

Good idea. Thanks.