Just joined...dealing with horrible side effects

Options
2»

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Finally back on the boards

Wow, I can't believe how long it has been since being here on the boards.  I have read everyone's posts and I really appreciate everyone's comments and input.  August 25th was my LAST chemo treatment and I am thrilled about that  Unfortunately, it still hasn't been an easy journey  After my next to last treatment, I ended up in the hospital for three days battling a bacterial urinary tract infection.  It was horrible, horrible, horrible!  Three days of anti biotics, fluids, magnesium and potassium.  After that, my oncologist decided he HAD to reduce my last cheo treatment, but assured me it wouldn't change my outcome, but might hopefully make this last one a bit easier on me  He said that my body could not handle any more of the full dose of chemo.  I had to agree with him!

Then we were hit with the decision between a lumpectomy or a mastectomy.  I will admit, it is a scarey decision but I am a big time worrier and I am sure that I would spend all of my time stressing about getting breast cancer again and having to go through all of this again.  After much discussion with my wonderful husband, I think we have come  to the decision to have a bi-lateral mastectomy and be done with it!  I just don't think I can handle he chemo again....or the stress of wondering with every twinge, if I had cancer again.

Anyway, looks like surgery is my next step (in the next three to four weeks).  My oncologist said if we chose lumpectomy I would then need seven weeks of radiation.  If I have a mastecomy, no radiation.  I will only have to have Herceptin treatments once every three weeks until May.  Still a long road, but hopefully over the worst of it.  Thank you all for all of your comments and support and prayers.

~Terrilynn

sorry that you ended in the hospital

do not worry about surgery, you will have 1 months after 6 cycle to make your final decision. Take it easy and try to eat your favotite foods