APR

letsrock
letsrock Member Posts: 8

Scheduled for APR in the morning, anyone been thru this? Wondering what the recovery is like and how long it may take.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Welcome

I'm sorry, but I was not familiar with the abbreviation APR. Looking it up, I gather it means Abdomioperineal Resection. 

I had a resection of the bowel, open surgery and not laparoscopic. 

The surgery went well, and even though the recovery was a little painful at first, once I got up and walked about, I started feeling much better. I was out of the hospital in five days, but kept it low and slow for a good couple of weeks. 

Personally, I found the surgery much easier than chemo and WAY easier than radiation.

Are you scheduled for laparoscopic or open surgery? 

Sue - Trubrit

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    Dear Friend,

By the time you read this post you are probably done withe the surgery. It a big operation but the immediate recovery is very fast. Stay ahead of the pain, meaning don't wait till it hurts. Get up and walk as soon as you can even if for a few steps. Follow doctors orders and don't be a hero. Take it easy. If you get colostomy I'll be happy to help you with that too.

Laz

• letsrock
    lp1964 said:

Dear Friend,

By the time you read this post you are probably done withe the surgery. It a big operation but the immediate recovery is very fast. Stay ahead of the pain, meaning don't wait till it hurts. Get up and walk as soon as you can even if for a few steps. Follow doctors orders and don't be a hero. Take it easy. If you get colostomy I'll be happy to help you with that too.

Laz

APR

Well, that is over, with a 5 day stay, alot of pain, and a permcolst. The good thing is i,,did have clear marging ....so 4 months of chemo and i should be on my way......

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    letsrock said:

APR

Well, that is over, with a 5 day stay, alot of pain, and a permcolst. The good thing is i,,did have clear marging ....so 4 months of chemo and i should be on my way......

No pain, no gain

Isn't that what they say. 

I'm glad it is all behind you, and now concentrate on healing so that you can go forward with treatment. 

Don't rely wholy on the treatment, though. Make sure that you live a healthy lifestyle with a good diet and exercise and have a positive attitude. 

Good luck!

Sue - Trubrit

• lp1964
    lp1964 Member Posts: 1,239 Member
    letsrock said:

APR

Dear Friend,

I'm glad that the surgery is behind you. Move around a lot without exhausting yourself. Follow your doctors and nurses instructions and a good diet. Manage your pain.

When things settle down look up the UOAA website for colostomy info. You are welcome to email me any time too.

Laz

• letsrock
    lp1964 said:

Dear Friend,

I'm glad that the surgery is behind you. Move around a lot without exhausting yourself. Follow your doctors and nurses instructions and a good diet. Manage your pain.

When things settle down look up the UOAA website for colostomy info. You are welcome to email me any time too.

Laz

APR

I can say that this will take me awhile, at 1 week still pretty sore and tire very easy....even a phone conversation wears me out. But a little stronger everyday, took a few days for my system to jump start and figure it all out. The bag thing will be ok, just some getting used to, more of an inconvenience than anything else. Trying to keep up with the walking ......still pretty slow