Surgery Monday

Options
Saok1969
Saok1969 Member Posts: 7

I may be jumping the gun, but I really wanted someone to talk to. My Dr. found a large mass in my lower abdomen not quite three weeks ago, pushing my uterus out of place. My uterus and ovaries all show abnormalities so I am having debulking surgery on Monday morning. I won't know until after the surgery if the mass is malignant or not. My CA 125 was 65. Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm wondering what my odds are of this mass NOT being malignant. I'm just so super terrified. 

Comments

• shush_silent
    shush_silent Member Posts: 6
    Options
    just an idea

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this.. but I'm also glad to hear they're doing something about it, sooner, rather than later.

Of course nobody but your Doc. can confirm anything.. but .. fibroids can raise the CA 125.. and while yours is elevated, I have heard stories from ladies here in this forum who were much much higher.. in the 2000 range.. so that might be a good sign that yours isn't that high... Also fibroids can and do grow to enormous sizes and can and do some real serious damage to the uterus and ovaries... I certainly don't want to give you false hope, BUT.. non malignant fibroids do tend to mimick behavior of cancer, so it is something to hold onto to help you get through!!

sending gobs and gobs of good vibes.. and hope to hear good news from you soon!!

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

just an idea

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this.. but I'm also glad to hear they're doing something about it, sooner, rather than later.

Of course nobody but your Doc. can confirm anything.. but .. fibroids can raise the CA 125.. and while yours is elevated, I have heard stories from ladies here in this forum who were much much higher.. in the 2000 range.. so that might be a good sign that yours isn't that high... Also fibroids can and do grow to enormous sizes and can and do some real serious damage to the uterus and ovaries... I certainly don't want to give you false hope, BUT.. non malignant fibroids do tend to mimick behavior of cancer, so it is something to hold onto to help you get through!!

sending gobs and gobs of good vibes.. and hope to hear good news from you soon!!

Dear Saok1969

I hope your surgery went well.  When you are up to it, please let us know how you are doing.

Warmly,

Kelly

• Kim T
    Kim T Member Posts: 4
    Options

Dear Saok1969

I hope your surgery went well.  When you are up to it, please let us know how you are doing.

Warmly,

Kelly

Hope all went well

I had a large mass and a 2800 CA125 this was discovered in october and I had debulking in November... I was also terrified and the fibroid was hiding cancer in the proximity to my ovaries. I went for 3 treatments of chemo and then a PET-CT scan and 3 more cheMia. I am now trying IP therapy, and I got to a rough start.... Hang in there!!! Sending my good vibes in hope that it all went well.

• Saok1969
    Options
    Surgery over

So, I had my surgery on Monday. Lots of pain the last three days but getting better every day. The mass was malignant, but my surgeon felt like it was very mobile and intact. Not embedded anywhere. He took some biopsies that I should get the results of on Tuesday when I go in for my follow up.  I'm guessing we will discuss treatment at that time. Thanks for your support on here. Not nearly as scared as I was. 

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options
    Saok1969 said:

Surgery over

So, I had my surgery on Monday. Lots of pain the last three days but getting better every day. The mass was malignant, but my surgeon felt like it was very mobile and intact. Not embedded anywhere. He took some biopsies that I should get the results of on Tuesday when I go in for my follow up.  I'm guessing we will discuss treatment at that time. Thanks for your support on here. Not nearly as scared as I was. 

Saok1969, it sounds like you

Saok1969, it sounds like you have such a great attitude about all of this.  It can spool anyone up pretty good sometimes so it is glad to hear you are feeling better every day.

• Kim T
    Kim T Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Saok1969 said:

Surgery over

Happy your surgery is over

Nice to hear from you. Take care, plenty of fluids... And rest!

• Saok1969
    Options

Well, I do have ovarian cancer. Stage 1a, grade 1, the report said endometrioid adenocarcinoma of the left ovary. My surgeon took at least 10 other biopsies during my surgery and found no other cancer. So he gave me two options. Wait and see, or three rounds of chemo, starting next week. After lots of discussion with the doctor and my family, we decided to go the chemo route. I am scared of chemo, but I'm much more scared of dying of cancer when I (maybe) could have prevented it. 

So now my question for you all is, he told me I have to decide between a port, a PICC line or my veins. I have good veins now and it would be nice if they stayed that way. So if I'm only doing nine weeks of chemo, which is more sensible, the port or PICC line? I'm hoping to be able to work as much as possible. I am an elementary school teacher and school starts the middle of August, so I will be about half way through my treatments. 

Need lots outs of input! Thanks 

• worldsojourner
    worldsojourner Member Posts: 11
    Options
    surgery Monday

I did 6 rounds of taxol and carboplatin in my veins without any problems. I was 57 at the time.

Anne

• vanessamood
    vanessamood Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Saok1969 said:

Well, I do have ovarian cancer. Stage 1a, grade 1, the report said endometrioid adenocarcinoma of the left ovary. My surgeon took at least 10 other biopsies during my surgery and found no other cancer. So he gave me two options. Wait and see, or three rounds of chemo, starting next week. After lots of discussion with the doctor and my family, we decided to go the chemo route. I am scared of chemo, but I'm much more scared of dying of cancer when I (maybe) could have prevented it. 

So now my question for you all is, he told me I have to decide between a port, a PICC line or my veins. I have good veins now and it would be nice if they stayed that way. So if I'm only doing nine weeks of chemo, which is more sensible, the port or PICC line? I'm hoping to be able to work as much as possible. I am an elementary school teacher and school starts the middle of August, so I will be about half way through my treatments. 

Need lots outs of input! Thanks 

ovarian cancer

i had stage 1a, grade  1. Six rounds of chemo and had the line put into the veins in my arms. Had no problem with this and would do it again.  Have been NED for 3 years now.   I was 75 at the time..

• Vickierph
    Vickierph Member Posts: 12
    Options
    I was diagnosed in january

I was diagnosed in january 2013 with stage 1c OVC And had 4 rounds of chemo. From a previous surgery to have my colon removed due to ulcerative colitis, I knew my veins were not great, so I had port put in. It was a minor surgery - worked the day before and the day after. Now, post chemo, I have to have it flushed every 6 weeks at the oncology office, which takes only a few minutes. Hoping to get port removed before the end of the year. If your veins are good, go for it, and if not, the port placement is no big deal. Wishing you much good luck! Vickie