Lymphedema - Self Massage

I am new to this site and just a little about me. I was diagnosed with SCC baase of tounge and tonsil on Jan 12 of this year. My story is very similar to alot of you all. 6 weeks of IMRT Therapy and I have experienced most of the side effects that you all discussed for the thickening phlegm, trouble swallowing, xerestoma and now Lymphedema. I am doing better everyday and tried to find someone to help me with the swelling. My ENT said it will just go away eventually and did not seem very concerned. I asked if there was anything I could do and he said just massage the neck pushing towards the heart. Needless to say this was not very helpfull or descriptive. 

I did find a video in Youtube that I believe is presented by a professional oragnaization showing the proper techniques for HN Lymphatic Self Massage and am posting it here for anyone that could use it. I have not seen many posts on Lymphedema in awhile so I though I would put it out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9FP6AHj9Eo

I have contacted this clinic by email a few times and they have responded to me each time. They have been extremely helpful and never tried to charge me or pressure me into anything else.

I hope this helps at least one person. 

I am fortunate to have found you all as after treatment it kind of becomes - "Go ahead, your done now, go have a great life".

Don;t get me wrong, my Oncologist was possibly the best doctor I have ever had. Unfortunatlly when you finish, there is not alot of support. This group really seems to cover all the topics we all share.

God Bless and Have A Great Day!

Tom in NW Missouri

Comments

• MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Posted here some time ago

Tom,

Here is a link to a post that was here some time ago and now in the SuperTread about self massages and stretching exercises.

http://csn.cancer.org/node/196680

I still do these when I need to. Any time we use our shoulder muscles, we tend to swell up especially when we bend over and pick things up. I usually feel it more the next day when I do any chores around the house, I am now retired. When I worked, the stretching and massage were a daily routine.

My Best to You and Everyone Here

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Hi Tom

Welcome to the family, you found the right place for help and support and the best part most of us have been through what you are now going through. It is not easy but we are all fighters and we all want to help each other, that’s what makes us a family. On the swallowing problem I went to see a speech Thespis they can also give you a lot of help sometimes.

Tim      

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Welcome to the H&N Group

Welcome Tom, and also sory you needed to be here. You have found the best group for support and friendship. So with that, welcome to the family. I'm 20 months out and had SCC Tumor just above my vocal cords. I only had to have surgery and no chemo or radiation. They removed my Larynx and 86 glands, and I'm doing great.

Bill  Oct 2013

• tomb247
    tomb247 Member Posts: 54
    Thank you.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I joined a couple of weeks ago and have really just looked at all the information. I appreciate all of the information and hiope to be able to share with anyone that needs anything. I do have a follow up shceduled for Next Thursday the 2nd with ENT and and will update you all when I am finished. I have had my post treatment CT Scan and 3 other appointments thus far so this will be 4 months out since treatment ended on March 3.

Take Care and God Bless

Tom in NW Missouri

• avisemi
    avisemi Member Posts: 172
    Welcome! And thanks for the

Welcome! And thanks for the link.  Where in MO are you?  My husband and I went to Truman State University in Kirksville as international students.  Now we consider MO our home state!  We live in Washington DC now.  Anyway, welcome

• tomb247
    avisemi said:

Welcome! And thanks for the

Welcome! And thanks for the link.  Where in MO are you?  My husband and I went to Truman State University in Kirksville as international students.  Now we consider MO our home state!  We live in Washington DC now.  Anyway, welcome

avisemi

My wife and I live in Cameron which is 100 mile due west of Macon on Highwat 36.

Thank you for the welcome. I grew up in Baltimore so familiar with that neck of the woods also.

• hwt
    hwt Member Posts: 2,328 Member
    tomb247 said:

avisemi

My wife and I live in Cameron which is 100 mile due west of Macon on Highwat 36.

Thank you for the welcome. I grew up in Baltimore so familiar with that neck of the woods also.

Tom

Your insurance might pay for massage therapy, mine did. I went numerous times and then they taught me how to do it on my own. I also had a compression mask that was helpful. The issue took several months but finally did resolve itself.

Candi in St Louis(also lived in KC 20+ years)

• Viilik70
    Viilik70 Member Posts: 73
    Steriod

My oncologist gave me a Steriod and it took the swelling down within 24 hours. I don't remember the name right now but I'm sure your doctor would know which one to give. I only had to take it a few months before mine went away. I hope they will at least try it. If you need me to get you the name just let me know and I will call my doctor. God bless and I hope it goes away soon because it's no fun to wake up to in the morning!

• tomb247
    hwt said:

Tom

Your insurance might pay for massage therapy, mine did. I went numerous times and then they taught me how to do it on my own. I also had a compression mask that was helpful. The issue took several months but finally did resolve itself.

Candi in St Louis(also lived in KC 20+ years)

Going to ENT for 4 month

Going to ENT for 4 month check up today and will push him a bit more on some of this. Thank you.

• tomb247
    Viilik70 said:

Steriod

My oncologist gave me a Steriod and it took the swelling down within 24 hours. I don't remember the name right now but I'm sure your doctor would know which one to give. I only had to take it a few months before mine went away. I hope they will at least try it. If you need me to get you the name just let me know and I will call my doctor. God bless and I hope it goes away soon because it's no fun to wake up to in the morning!

Intersting. Swelling due tom

Intersting. Swelling due tom Lymphedema?  I am curious as to what they prescribed. Thank you.

• SilentWorker
    SilentWorker Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2021 #12
    Happy and healthy to you and

Happy and healthy to you and your family.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,274 Member
    edited November 2021 #13
    Here Is A Good Video

On Lymphedema--

Lymphatic Drainage Massage for Face, Head, & Neck Swelling or Lymphedema - By a Physical Therapist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQdLZ26r-rU

• qwertyu
    qwertyu Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2021 #14
    Thank you for your

Thank you for your revelations and post. You're right, it's so a few informative topics about Lymphedema that you definitely will help someone by sharing video. I want to do my input so can share salon 강남안마, where my dad had a course of massages to remove edema. It worked for our luck, but I heard a lot of stories (and you told about your poor experience) when the massage makes no sense. Probably it depends on the proper massage and kind of edema. I'm sure that's gonna be ok, and happiness is walking near you.