Bloating/distension treatment?

seatown
seatown Member Posts: 261 Member

Started on Abraxane on June 10, after my CA15 soared to 3100 on Xeloda. It's been rough. I have great discomfort from bloating or ascites -- I don't know exactly what, since I've had no scans since March. My question is -- does anyone have a good treatment for bloating? I weigh less than I did a few weeks ago, but my abdomen is larger. Am calling the doc in the a.m. to see what he may have to say. My problem is we are due to leave for 2+ weeks in Europe in 9 days, & I would hate to go with this severe discomfort.

Comments

• Hearty Pioneer
    Hearty Pioneer Member Posts: 158
    Did your doctor find an answer?

Did you find an answer to your bloating and discomfort?

• lovesanimals
    lovesanimals Member Posts: 1,366 Member

Did your doctor find an answer?

Did you find an answer to your bloating and discomfort?

Hi Carole

I too am wondering what your doctor said.

Kelly

• yamster34
    yamster34 Member Posts: 75
    I have a PluerX Catheter, so

I have a PluerX Catheter, so now my husband and I can drain fluid at home, instead of going to the hospital. You may want to get fluid drained at the hospital before you go. You may also want to see if you will be able to get more drained during vacation. If you are considering getting a PluerX, wait until you get back. I was awake for the surgery. Using my abdominal muscles at all for the first 48-72 hours was excrutiatingly painful. At least the pain was bearable when I laid down. It would be aweful being in that much pain (from excess fluid or the PluerX surgery) on vacation. 

Prayers and best wi

shes, 

Amy

• seatown
    seatown Member Posts: 261 Member
    No treatment yet

Thanks, everyone, for your comments & concern. It's very much appreciated!

No solutions yet. Had paracentesis a week ago; they could only drain 250 ml of fluid. Seems the masses in my abdomen are growing tumors. Hoped my 2nd infusion of Abraxane, scheduled for today, would tackle them. But I was judged too sick for chemo today. Maybe  I'll be well enough after a couple of days of hydration.

Of course we had to cancel our planned trip, a great disappointment. All the grim details are at www.CaringBridge.org/visit/CaroleSeaton

Thank you again for your concern.

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    seatown said:

No treatment yet

Thanks, everyone, for your comments & concern. It's very much appreciated!

No solutions yet. Had paracentesis a week ago; they could only drain 250 ml of fluid. Seems the masses in my abdomen are growing tumors. Hoped my 2nd infusion of Abraxane, scheduled for today, would tackle them. But I was judged too sick for chemo today. Maybe  I'll be well enough after a couple of days of hydration.

Of course we had to cancel our planned trip, a great disappointment. All the grim details are at www.CaringBridge.org/visit/CaroleSeaton

Thank you again for your concern.

Carole

What can I say?  my fingers are crossed that the hydration helps and you are back in treatment in a couple days.

• yamster34
    yamster34 Member Posts: 75
    Sorry you had to cancel

Sorry you had to cancel vacation! I can only imagine how aweful that was on top of everything else.

One time when I went to the hospital to get drained, they could not drain much and told me that there were pockets of fluid. Since I have started draining at home, I can drain as much fluid as I am comfortable with. I drain up to a liter at a time and that seems to help. I can drain a couple times per day but have found that when I am dehydrated, draining tends to be painful. The pain decreases, the more hydrated I am. If I am well hydrated, there is no pain at all.

Hopefully you can get the fluid under control. It is extremely uncomfortable to have fluid building up. 

Prayers and best wishes,

Amy