How common is this?

bigal88
bigal88 Member Posts: 14

I have colon cancer and it has spread to a lymph node in my neck.I also have numerous spots on both lungs It has not been confirmed what they are.The dr says it looks odd. He said it looks as though both lungs were shot with BB's.But my liver is clear.If this in my lungs is cancer how rare is it that my liver is clear?

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi

I have no idea if bypassing the liver and going to the lungs is odd or not.

It sounds as if the look of the lungs may be what the doctor finds odd.  Folks here who have had lung involvement speak of it in terms of one or a few spots.  In those cases surgery or other radio treatments are possible. 

What is the doctor proposing to determine the cause of the issue with the lungs?  It may not be related to the colon cancer.

Wishing you the best,

Marie who loves kitties

• bigal88
    bigal88 Member Posts: 14

Hi

I have no idea if bypassing the liver and going to the lungs is odd or not.

It sounds as if the look of the lungs may be what the doctor finds odd.  Folks here who have had lung involvement speak of it in terms of one or a few spots.  In those cases surgery or other radio treatments are possible. 

What is the doctor proposing to determine the cause of the issue with the lungs?  It may not be related to the colon cancer.

Wishing you the best,

Marie who loves kitties

Doctor says

Doctor said whether or not it's cancer won't change treatment. He said there was no need to put me through a biopsy when the results wouldn't change the treatment.He said after 4 chemo treatments we would see if they shrank if not we would then try to find out what they are.              PS I have worked in a underground coal mines for 25 years.Could it be black lung?

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    bigal88 said:

Doctor says

Doctor said whether or not it's cancer won't change treatment. He said there was no need to put me through a biopsy when the results wouldn't change the treatment.He said after 4 chemo treatments we would see if they shrank if not we would then try to find out what they are.              PS I have worked in a underground coal mines for 25 years.Could it be black lung?

Does your doctor know this?

I am not familiar with Black Lung disease. 

Make sure your doctor is aware of your underground work.

Wishing you the best.

Marie who loves kitties

• wolfen
    wolfen Member Posts: 1,324 Member

Does your doctor know this?

I am not familiar with Black Lung disease. 

Make sure your doctor is aware of your underground work.

Wishing you the best.

Marie who loves kitties

Black Lung & Cancer

Al,

My father-in-law was a coal miner for 50 yrs. He did have Black Lung and also had Prostate Cancer. My husband had Head and Neck Cancer, but also had a completely different tumor type in his lungs. Like you, my daughter's cancer was Colon which progressed to liver, lungs, & pancreas. I suppose any pattern of spread is normal. Don't quote me on that. It's just what I have observed on this forum.

Unfortunately cancer can choose whatever type and/or location it wishes.

Best of luck with whatever this turns out to be.

Luv,

Wolfen

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Bumping this up for biga

I will bump this to the top, in case anyone else reading has experience or advice for bigal88.

• janderson1964
    janderson1964 Member Posts: 2,215 Member
    The liver is the more common

The liver is the more common path for colon cancer to spread however going to the lungs first certainly is rare. I know of several folks who had it show up in the lungs first.

• Helen321
    Helen321 Member Posts: 1,459 Member
    Can you consult with a doctor

Can you consult with a doctor at one of the large cancer hospitals over the phone through your insurance?  Perhaps if they can see your scans?  It is worth a second opinion and even a third if the insurance will cover it.

• GSP2
    GSP2 Member Posts: 103 Member
    bigal88 said:

Doctor says

If I were you

I would get the opinion of a pulmonologist. Particularly if the plan is chemo targeted towards colon.

Did you have the neck node biopsied ?

Steve.

• Trapbear
    Trapbear Member Posts: 108 Member
    My dear husband had mets  in

My dear husband had mets  in his lungs first, only there for many many years.  Only showed up in the liver about a year before he passed.  He was able to have many years of good quality life with chemo keeping the lung mets stable.  Good luck with your treatments.

Bill