bad news once again - any treatment ideas

Aicirtap
Aicirtap Member Posts: 55

Ive written several times before. my fiancé has stage IV with mets to the liver, lung, and now muscle (which is very rare, I understand). He has had 14 surgeries, various on the liver and one for the lung mets which came right back. Hes been on all common chemo protocolls, including all antibodies on the market for colon cancer and stivarga for the last 6 weeks. We had a genome analysis which didn't bring any new suggestions other than a study on soy been something which our oncologist is trying to get him into. he has had blood pressure medication which seemed to have some good outcomes but he got a very dry cough which didn't allow him to work, which he still enjoys to some extent. 

Today his oncologist mailed that we have growth under stivarga and we will speak to him on Monday. What I don't know much about is immuntherapy - does anyone have recommendations on this? I would really like to go in on Monday and discuss any other possibilities we might have. It is so weird, he has had almost five years in which you really couldn't tell that he was sick if you didn't know him. this last year I believe it is getting to him. He doesn't look healthy, he has grown older, he has lots and lots of pain - partially due to chemo and side effects and the other part, who knows.

I think at this point, surgery or any surgery alternatives like cyber knife, heat treatment are not an option any more. The cancer is very wide spread and it has been tried so many times to cut it out, to get the lesions with heat etc and they always come back.

Any recommendations or ideas are welcome.

Love to all here! Thank you! 

Comments

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    Has he looked into a clinical trial?

You can search here to see if there is one that might be appropriate:

https://clinicaltrials.gov

You can also talk to someone at the ACS for help finding a trial... http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/clinicaltrials/app/clinical-trials-matching-service

The other thing I would check out is the discussion on immunotherapy at the Colon Club forum...there is a lot of info there and one person in particular (user Maia) has done a significant amount of research on it.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you're both doing.

• lilpep1972
    lilpep1972 Member Posts: 80
    IV Vitamin C drip is AMAZING!!

I tried this drip a few weeks ago the day before my 10th chemo treatment an OMG what a difference it made.  I never felt so good during and after a session as I did with the IV drip. It was absolutly night an day difference.. I would tell anyone who is going thru this todo the IV drip. It works!! I wish your fiancée all the best and will put him on our prayer list here in NY.. Good luck :) make sure he keeps his head up an smiles or laughs at least a few times a day.. It's a MUST....

• tanstaafl
    tanstaafl Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    swinging for the fence

Possible modalities:

The pharmaceutical single pathway attacks on CRC have failed.  This is the most rational multiple pathway attack I've seen described.   Maybe this guy, James Belanger ND, has a big, fast manuever that could quench the cytokines and growth factors enough to hit the slow/pause button without risking quality of life so much.  I don't have the cytokine testing available, but this is more or less what we've done to keep the oral 5FU working on my wife's cancer residuals all these years.   The big problem might be minimum dosing and penetration into bigger mets. 

If your fiance' has enough organ function left, IV vitamin C cancels many forms of pain because pain is oxygen mediated, and IV C allows most patients to feel relatively well and energetic, some even within days of the end. In combination with other therapies, like some natural ones and 5FU, IV vitamin C may enhance cancer inhibition.  Some alt med doctors use IV vitamin C for relief on extremely painful, late stage pancreatic cancer. previous

This is how I drive my wife's biomarkers down but she has far less cancer mass. This combined approach did keep 2 cm para aortic lymph nodes at bay for a number of months before her second surgery.