Sharp pains one week after surgery

Options
Nana4life
Nana4life Member Posts: 78 Member

kidney angels,

I have been experiencing some very sharp and intense flank pain. It has been a week since my partial nep. It is very uncomfortable I was just taking Tylenol for pain but had to go with the prescription. I have a call into to nurse. Anybody experience this so long after surgery? Feeling very worried and a bit discouraged.

nana4life

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club

Nana,

There is no way to sugarcoat a neph. A partial is a bit more cutting and a tad rougher. That first week after the initiation is not fun. Everyday will get better with maybe a bad day here and there. With that being said bring your pain issues to the attention of the nurse and doctor to make sure there are no extra issues. Barring complications you will feel a lot better a week from now and even better two weeks from now. And so on. So far you sound very normal in relating your experience. Think of the first week as hell week and basic training rolled into one. . No pain, no gain.

Icemantoo

• Positive_Mental_Attitude
    Options
    Getting up out of the chair

Getting up out of the chair was painful for a couple of weeks.  Coughing, sneezing and laughing (and I laugh a lot) were painful.  I recall one episode talking to a friend of mine, where I told him "I am hanging up before I die of laughter."  I also sneezed or coughed one night, and had a sharp pain at the bottom of my rib cage near my incision.  It hurt for several weeks, but it eventually got better.

The nurses and doctors are there for you to call, so I would not hesitate to call if you think there is a problem.

• Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

Getting up out of the chair

Getting up out of the chair was painful for a couple of weeks.  Coughing, sneezing and laughing (and I laugh a lot) were painful.  I recall one episode talking to a friend of mine, where I told him "I am hanging up before I die of laughter."  I also sneezed or coughed one night, and had a sharp pain at the bottom of my rib cage near my incision.  It hurt for several weeks, but it eventually got better.

The nurses and doctors are there for you to call, so I would not hesitate to call if you think there is a problem.

Sorry to hear this. I didn't

Sorry to hear this. I didn't have any problems, but think of this, you just had nerve endings and delicate tissues cut. They are angry now. My opinion is that sometimes when we over due it accidently or not, our body will scream at us to slow down and REST. Not sure if that's true in your case.

Remember, I also wore a lumbar wrap to support those aching/painful muscles, ligaments etc. I even wore it to bed. I would place a block of dry ice inside near the larger of the incisions. It helped me out a lot from two surgeries.

I got it at the drug store. Try it.

Let us know how you are doing hon,

Gentle hugs, Jan

• Dave418
    Dave418 Member Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It will hurt for a couple of

It will hurt for a couple of weeks but you should feel better everyday. If it is intolerable, call your nurse. Healing takes time, don't rush anythings, walk if you can, even if just a couple of steps. In a couple of weeks, all this pain will be gone.

• jason.2835
    jason.2835 Member Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged!

Nana,

A lot of what happens in surgery can't be seen.  I remember after my robotic laparoscopic radical neph, all I had were a few small incisions that barely looked like anything.  On the surface, it doesn't ever look as bad as you think it will.  But it's what happens UNDER the skin that you have to worry about.  It's going to take time.  There was a lot of cutting and moving things around.  Trust me when I say that a week goes by in an instant when you look back.

After my gallbladder surgery when they cut me over 6 inches, the pain was EXCRUCIATING for that first week.  I was solidly on percocets every 8 hours like clockwork.  Just give it more time, trust me.

- Jay 

• Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Breathing excercises

Make sure you're doing them. Iy deals with the gas and I like to think of them as helping my insides settle nicely into position

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options

Breathing excercises

Make sure you're doing them. Iy deals with the gas and I like to think of them as helping my insides settle nicely into position

I'm so sorry you're

I'm so sorry you're experiencing such sharp pain. I was fortunate and despite having an open surgery, I only had pain when I coughed or sneezed, but even then it wasn't very sharp. Sore, yes, but sharp pain no. Best thing to do would be to contact your surgeon and ask about it.