Nausea!!!! Help

Options
christald21
christald21 Member Posts: 55

My first chemo treatment was Monday. Both Monday and Tuesday I was fine.  I also have to take a small amount  of. predostone. ( steroid) in morning for liver.  come Wednesday morn. My nausea kicked in hard !  All day with just slight diarrhea.  i am on three different nausea meds.   I just want to know does the nausea go away after few days of treatment. Or am I going to be this miserable off and on all the way till next treatment.  I am hoping it just takes a few days for it to get out of system. Been drinking lots water.  gatorade.  Am going to try and work out.  So far today I feel better after talking my new drug lorezapam.  Please help any advice and encouragement would help !

Comments

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Two things from my

Two things from my experience:

1. My oncologist/NP said to me at the outset that there was no need to be sick from chemo -- maybe queasy, but not nauseous.  I was told to let them know and they would change my meds.
    2. My few days of queasiness tended to be a few days after an infusion and only lasted maybe three or four days.  I was on adriamycin/cytoxan infusions at the start.  When I was switched to taxol -- the plan midway -- I did not have any need of the anti-puke pills, and I had no queasiness.

We all are different, and so others may post other thoughts; but I always think it is good to get a broad picture of the situation, as you will be able to figure out where you fit.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    ginger?

ginger?

• 1surfermom
    1surfermom Member Posts: 396 Member
    Options

ginger?

ginger?

Nausea

Hi,

I hope you are feeling better today. I had horrible nausea throughout treatment, it was so bad that I couldn't even make it back from the treatment center without throwing up. My onc. told me to take the meds before I even felt sick. It didn't work for me but I know others who took their meds prior to feeling sick had little or no nausea. The only thing that worked for me was the Sancusco patch, which you wear on your upper arm and the medicine is dispersed transdermaly. It was a Godsend for me. Love Surf

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Nausea

Hi,

I hope you are feeling better today. I had horrible nausea throughout treatment, it was so bad that I couldn't even make it back from the treatment center without throwing up. My onc. told me to take the meds before I even felt sick. It didn't work for me but I know others who took their meds prior to feeling sick had little or no nausea. The only thing that worked for me was the Sancusco patch, which you wear on your upper arm and the medicine is dispersed transdermaly. It was a Godsend for me. Love Surf

There is a new one that was

There is a new one that was just approved by the FDA that is suppose to work better than Zofran and Compazine It is called Emend. Check out the following web site.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2003/NEW00886.html

***Please check with your Oncologist first --  ***  Insist on getting relief ..

Vicki Sam

• Kats2
    Kats2 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Ginger for nausea.....

Just yesterday a friend recommended  drinking ginger tea.....I found a box and so far have had 3 cups of it.....I must say that it's brought "some" relief......I also bought some peppermints ( sugar less) which surprised me in lessening that nauseous feeling...It didn't take it all away though.....When I was worse I took Zofran, 4 mgs every 6 hours round the clock for 3 days....That REALLY helped.....but as I've been changing medicines, the nausea and stomach ache keep coming back and I go on and off the Zofran.I also take swigs of Pepto Bismol and sip room-temperature coke...the regular kind...NOT the diet....That helps too.....I'll have to research the "Emend" that another person mentioned on this site.....She's certainly up to date on things and I thank her for sharing this information with all of us. Hope you feel better...Hang in there!

• Puffin2014
    Puffin2014 Member Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Kats2 said:

Ginger for nausea.....

Just yesterday a friend recommended  drinking ginger tea.....I found a box and so far have had 3 cups of it.....I must say that it's brought "some" relief......I also bought some peppermints ( sugar less) which surprised me in lessening that nauseous feeling...It didn't take it all away though.....When I was worse I took Zofran, 4 mgs every 6 hours round the clock for 3 days....That REALLY helped.....but as I've been changing medicines, the nausea and stomach ache keep coming back and I go on and off the Zofran.I also take swigs of Pepto Bismol and sip room-temperature coke...the regular kind...NOT the diet....That helps too.....I'll have to research the "Emend" that another person mentioned on this site.....She's certainly up to date on things and I thank her for sharing this information with all of us. Hope you feel better...Hang in there!

emend

I had the IV form of emend prior to my chemo, worked like a charm. I know others used the oral emend after their treatments and found it very effective.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options

emend

I had the IV form of emend prior to my chemo, worked like a charm. I know others used the oral emend after their treatments and found it very effective.

Emend*

Wiki says it was not approved until 2003....but I had it in the Fall of 2002........I never got sick at all....only one day after chemo when I came home & slept and did not eat dinner...woke up so nauseous that I knew if I began to throw up I would die.........I called out to God to help me...and made it through that darkest hour.  I did all treatment alone...was a Widow and had no one living with me...but did have Church Friends who helped me get to treatments sometimes.   The only time I vomited during any of this was in the middle of an MRI on the Brain.....oh me   I so hope you will talk with your Oncologist and get this adjusted because you should not have to feel sick at your stomach ...you are dealing with enough without that.  Prayers for Answers and Adjustments and sending Hugs and Love.  Glo