to have reconstruction or not!!

Options
mollyz
mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member

Hi everyone, I was a 5 year survivor May 6,2015 and just now thinking about reconstuction,my surgeon is gonna give me some recommendations on a plastic surgeon actually two so i can compare and make a decision, I've read a lot of stories about reconstruction and it seems as if with most you have to have multiple surgeries...i don't know if i want to go threw that but anyhow any advice would be helpful. it would be a left bi-laterl and with right sysmetrical...I have bluecross bluesheild ........

Comments

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    ??

Gee Mollyz  ... first I'm very happy for your 5 year mark in May... but I only had a lumpectomy so I cant advise you really.  There are many women who have done the reconstruction as you know and had no problems at all.....and then there are others who went thru lots of unpleasant stuff.  Whatever you decide to do we are all sending you encouragement for all going well for you.   Prayers for good decisions.  Glo

• mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    GlowMore said:

??

Gee Mollyz  ... first I'm very happy for your 5 year mark in May... but I only had a lumpectomy so I cant advise you really.  There are many women who have done the reconstruction as you know and had no problems at all.....and then there are others who went thru lots of unpleasant stuff.  Whatever you decide to do we are all sending you encouragement for all going well for you.   Prayers for good decisions.  Glo

@GlowMore

Thanks for responding,,,,i know theirs horror stories , but i believe if i do decide to have reconstruction I'll do just fine,,,if you believe you will recieve...lolMollyZ

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Chose Not To

I chose not to have reconstruction for a number of reasons.  My primary reason was that I really did not want more surgery or recovery after my surgery (double mastectomy).  I wanted to get on with life.  Having a double mastectomy, I did not have to think about balance, for the sake of my back.  I would be good with whatever I chose.

I had other reasons as well:

• Would all of it be undone if I had a recurrence?
    • What if an aspect of the process did not go right?
    • What if the process was begun but could not be completed because of some unanticipated complication?

I was ok without it; my husband did not care, either.  (I know that some women feel pressured by their spouses to have it done.)

Yes, I have prosthetics; but, I don't wear them much.  I have figure out how to dress to minimize my "loss."  Most peope I am around, whether at work, church, or the community know my situation.  I have come to see that they give no thought as to whether I have "the girls" on or not.  They see me for who I am as a person.

As time passes -- I am three years past my initial fight -- I find I go flat more and more and more and more.  It's just easier.

All here will say that you have to be comfortable/settled with what you decide.  Yes, taken into consideration what we share, but be confident with what you decide.Hope this helps.

ee

• kln
    kln Member Posts: 22
    Options

Chose Not To

I chose not to have reconstruction for a number of reasons.  My primary reason was that I really did not want more surgery or recovery after my surgery (double mastectomy).  I wanted to get on with life.  Having a double mastectomy, I did not have to think about balance, for the sake of my back.  I would be good with whatever I chose.

I had other reasons as well:

• Would all of it be undone if I had a recurrence?
    • What if an aspect of the process did not go right?
    • What if the process was begun but could not be completed because of some unanticipated complication?

I was ok without it; my husband did not care, either.  (I know that some women feel pressured by their spouses to have it done.)

Yes, I have prosthetics; but, I don't wear them much.  I have figure out how to dress to minimize my "loss."  Most peope I am around, whether at work, church, or the community know my situation.  I have come to see that they give no thought as to whether I have "the girls" on or not.  They see me for who I am as a person.

As time passes -- I am three years past my initial fight -- I find I go flat more and more and more and more.  It's just easier.

All here will say that you have to be comfortable/settled with what you decide.  Yes, taken into consideration what we share, but be confident with what you decide.Hope this helps.

ee

I am going through it now

I had the first part with expanders. Then the implants were put In with lyposuction for fill. They have now settled 2 months later and one is more in my arm pit and larger then the other. Yes another surgery is being planned.  She is going to trim more ski  on the side and push the implant over . Then more fill for the pockets with more lyposuction. I also can feel the seems of the implants o  the sides . I was told that happens often with masectomies. Think skin was the response. The surgeries continue until things are settled correctly with no pockets. Then the nipple and areola are done. Wishing you a the best. Kelly

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    kln said:

I am going through it now

I had the first part with expanders. Then the implants were put In with lyposuction for fill. They have now settled 2 months later and one is more in my arm pit and larger then the other. Yes another surgery is being planned.  She is going to trim more ski  on the side and push the implant over . Then more fill for the pockets with more lyposuction. I also can feel the seems of the implants o  the sides . I was told that happens often with masectomies. Think skin was the response. The surgeries continue until things are settled correctly with no pockets. Then the nipple and areola are done. Wishing you a the best. Kelly

Find a really good plastic

Find a really good plastic surgeon that specializes in reconstruction and have a very honest heart to heart talk with him or her.   Each case is so different - depends on how the initial surgery was done and if there were any complications, etc.   I personally am glad I went with reconstruction but I also understand the feelings of the ladies that have chose not to.  Ask the PS to show you pictures of others that were similar to your case and what the outcome was.   Mostly, take your time and make the decision that is right for you.

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    Lilly9 said:

Find a really good plastic

Find a really good plastic surgeon that specializes in reconstruction and have a very honest heart to heart talk with him or her.   Each case is so different - depends on how the initial surgery was done and if there were any complications, etc.   I personally am glad I went with reconstruction but I also understand the feelings of the ladies that have chose not to.  Ask the PS to show you pictures of others that were similar to your case and what the outcome was.   Mostly, take your time and make the decision that is right for you.

Did you have radiation?

MollyZ, I don't remember whether or not you had radiation when you were going through treatment before?

If you did, it's extremely important that you let your surgeon and plastic surgeon know, and/or remind them (5 years is a long time).  Previous radiation treatment greatly limits and/or changes your reconstruction options.

I had bilateral lumpectomies + radiation to both breasts 6 years ago, and decided to have a prophylactic mastectomy earlier this year.  I did want to consider reconstruction options, and my surgeon let me know that most of the plastic surgeons in our area wouldn't even agree to meet with me, because they wouldn't work on radiated tissue.  And the plastic surgeon I did meet with let me know that several reconstruction options weren't even an option for me, for the same reason.

I don't know if this is applicable to you, but it's very important that your doctors consider this up front, so just wanted to throw that out there!

Traci

• Desmonds1
    Desmonds1 Member Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should talk

I agree that you should talk with one or two plastic surgeons that specialize in reconstruction- I have met with my plastic surgeon twice and am scheduled for reconstruction on Sept. 1-

i had chemo, mastecomy and radiation - ending in December-

i actually am looking forward to this surgery- I feel like this surgery is My choice not the cancer !

best wishes on whatever works best for you!

Susan

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    great it's 5 yrs..I had two

great it's 5 yrs..I had two lumpetomies on the same side (sm. breasted to start with) BUT i have never done anything to even it up (DR suggested Fat removed from one area to shape breast but I had no desire to do that)

I am sure others here will have helpful advice-who has the same situation as you have.

Denise

HAPPY 5 Years.

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    Options

great it's 5 yrs..I had two

great it's 5 yrs..I had two lumpetomies on the same side (sm. breasted to start with) BUT i have never done anything to even it up (DR suggested Fat removed from one area to shape breast but I had no desire to do that)

I am sure others here will have helpful advice-who has the same situation as you have.

Denise

HAPPY 5 Years.

Hi Molly

I had Diep flap reconstruction.  I also have your insurance. They paid very well.  My surgery was done at the same time of bilateral, so different story.  You will need to be seen by a good plastic surgeon for guidance. My choice was right for me, and I'd do it again.  I'm so happy for you reaching the five year mark!  Big congratulations, Molly!!