Getting ready for surgery

Nana4life
Nana4life Member Posts: 78 Member

Okay kidney Angels, I'm going in for surgery on Monday morning. I was wondering if there are questions that my husband should ask doctor before and after surgery. I know I'll be out of it but I want to be sure and cover all the facts. I'm not scheduled for follow up until August 11(doc summer vacation I'm sure)

my deepest fear is that there is more cancer elsewhere. Doctor says all other organs are clear and no cancer anywhere else. But I don't know how he knows that. He also said he thought my tumor was benign but it wasn't. So I'm a little distrustful.

Again thank you so much for being my kidney Angels. No one else understands. 

❤️ Nana4life

Comments

  • sblairc
    sblairc Member Posts: 585 Member
    Well, it is a process.

    Since I've been in your husband's shoes, please let him know that it will be ok! 

    I think that everything becomes the most clear and informative after the tumor has been through pathology. I would tell him to try to not ask too many questions because honestlly until your tumor gets looked at by pathology, you really don't know much. That's my opinion anyways looking back at my experiece. I would perhaps just let the surgeon talk and then ask questions at your follow up appointment. It was literally all a blur for me until I got the pathology report. 

    My experience: Doctors say a lot of things and I can say that sometimes surgeons are "thinking out loud" and that isn't all that helpful. At the end of the day, since pathology report really seals the deal, and that comes later, I'd wait on that and have him focus on supporting you through your recovery. Those questions are largely not for the surgeon but the doctors that will be taking care of you in the hospital. 

    I would have him ask WHEN you can expect the pathology report and how to get it. You are going to have follow up before August and should absolutely not have to wait that long for a report. 

     

    You will do great! 

  • Yeric
    Yeric Member Posts: 65
    And here we go

    We were so scared the first three surgries.   The Doctor will focus on how the surgery went.  What he feels he found. then some stuff he just wants to say.  Thinking out loud.  Your husband needs to focus questions about what he can do for your comfort.  Remember and do not ever forget.  Any reports or scans are yours.  Get and keep a copy for your personal records.  If and when you have to change Doctors or bring in a specilist your copies could save you time and worry. 

      Very few Doctors like or know how to deliver bad news.  So it is up to you to decide if that is the case or if you need to move on.  Doctors are as human as any of us.  You are in controll of your treatment.  Get an oncologist regardless. 

    We started our adventure in 1999.  We have been seen by many a doctor.  Some I do not have a kind word for.  Others I would take a bullet.

    We wish you and yours the very best.  Come back here and let us know how it went.  I use we as looking into my familys eyes tells me they are affected by this adventure more than I.

  • Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,060 Member
    Yeric said:

    And here we go

    We were so scared the first three surgries.   The Doctor will focus on how the surgery went.  What he feels he found. then some stuff he just wants to say.  Thinking out loud.  Your husband needs to focus questions about what he can do for your comfort.  Remember and do not ever forget.  Any reports or scans are yours.  Get and keep a copy for your personal records.  If and when you have to change Doctors or bring in a specilist your copies could save you time and worry. 

      Very few Doctors like or know how to deliver bad news.  So it is up to you to decide if that is the case or if you need to move on.  Doctors are as human as any of us.  You are in controll of your treatment.  Get an oncologist regardless. 

    We started our adventure in 1999.  We have been seen by many a doctor.  Some I do not have a kind word for.  Others I would take a bullet.

    We wish you and yours the very best.  Come back here and let us know how it went.  I use we as looking into my familys eyes tells me they are affected by this adventure more than I.

    good luck with surgery,

    good luck with surgery, you'll be fine!

    And as others have said, get all your records.

  • Jojo61
    Jojo61 Member Posts: 1,309 Member
    Good luck tomorrow! You have

    Good luck tomorrow! You have already received some great advice. Please know I will be thinking about you and saying my prayers for you.

    Hugs

    Jojo

  • aamdsi
    aamdsi Member Posts: 284
    As hard as it maybe - relax

    Only think my husband mentioned as I was being prepped is the fact I get sick on the knock out drugs.  They can do things now to prevent that frrom happening.

    Will think of you tomorrow on your way to getting better.

     

    Hugs and try to sleep,

    Laurie

  • Footstomper
    Footstomper Member Posts: 1,237 Member
    aamdsi said:

    As hard as it maybe - relax

    Only think my husband mentioned as I was being prepped is the fact I get sick on the knock out drugs.  They can do things now to prevent that frrom happening.

    Will think of you tomorrow on your way to getting better.

     

    Hugs and try to sleep,

    Laurie

    Good luck

    Everyone here has been through it

  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

    Good luck

    Everyone here has been through it

    Pain

    Nana.

     

    May your surgery be uneventful and painless. OK it hurts a little.

     

    Icemantoo

  • Jan4you
    Jan4you Member Posts: 1,330 Member
    icemantoo said:

    Pain

    Nana.

     

    May your surgery be uneventful and painless. OK it hurts a little.

     

    Icemantoo

    I will be thinking of you

    I will be thinking of you especially tomorrow! HUGS~

    You won't see your surgeon until Aug 6th? I bet you'll see a PA or another doctor in about a week to check on the healing of your scars. And I was told not to drive for the first week. Also, you won't be able to exercise, beside walking for about a month.

    I used a lumbar wrap to support my incisions while they healed. I even wore it to bed. I would put dry ice inside over the largest of the incisions to keep the swelling/pain down. That way I didn't need as much pain meds.

    You will have your abdomen pumped with a special gas so they surgeon can SEE while he's inside. That gas gets trapped in weird places, but mostly around your shoulder. THAT was the most painful part as my incisions were small, about an inch. Are you having robatic, laproscopic surgery?

    Again,  you need to rest, even after you start to feel better. Remember your insides needs to heal and you don't want any complications. So, make sure othes are doing things you usually do around the house, and the shopping etc.

    Come back please and let us know how you are doing.

    I wish you a healthy recovery.

    Jan

  • debynash
    debynash Member Posts: 5
    Jan4you said:

    I will be thinking of you

    I will be thinking of you especially tomorrow! HUGS~

    You won't see your surgeon until Aug 6th? I bet you'll see a PA or another doctor in about a week to check on the healing of your scars. And I was told not to drive for the first week. Also, you won't be able to exercise, beside walking for about a month.

    I used a lumbar wrap to support my incisions while they healed. I even wore it to bed. I would put dry ice inside over the largest of the incisions to keep the swelling/pain down. That way I didn't need as much pain meds.

    You will have your abdomen pumped with a special gas so they surgeon can SEE while he's inside. That gas gets trapped in weird places, but mostly around your shoulder. THAT was the most painful part as my incisions were small, about an inch. Are you having robatic, laproscopic surgery?

    Again,  you need to rest, even after you start to feel better. Remember your insides needs to heal and you don't want any complications. So, make sure othes are doing things you usually do around the house, and the shopping etc.

    Come back please and let us know how you are doing.

    I wish you a healthy recovery.

    Jan

    Parallel...!

    Excellent advice, Jan4you. I am having my open partial on June 23rd, and have no clue what will happen after I wake up in the recovery room. So every bit of info helps.