Tongue cancer with neck dissection but no other treatment

Options

I was wondering if anyone else out there had just a partial glossectomy (about 1/4 of my tongue) and a selective neck dissection.  I had a bump removed from my tongue in March, which in spite of biopsies to the contrary, turned out to be cancerous.  Then I had to find a pain medication that worked (most narcotics do not work for me--we finally found one that did), then more tongue removal and neck dissection to be sure the cancer wouldn't spread (as sure as one can be, of course), and later, an abcess that had to be drained.  Things look good now.  I am wondering if anyone else had swelling and sagging with the neck dissection--my neck looks "folded".  I'm thinking this will go away with time.  There's really very little information on the after-effects of both procedures, especially without radiation.

The other thing I would note:  When I was in the hospital the first time, my dog died (she was nearly 14 and sick, so it was not a surprise).  I was bummed, to say the least, but since all this treatment occured over a seven week period, I really did not have time for this to sink in.  After I went for my last checkup and was told things were good, the first thing I asked my husband after the appointment was if I could get another dog now.  He of course said yes. I got the puppy about three weeks ago and we both notice how much happier we are and how much more we laugh watching the puppy.  I guess neither of us realized in the whirlwind of treatments just how much we were missing our pet.  She's been a real mood lifter!  Just what we needed!

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi slk

Welcome to CSN H&N, I am not much on tongue cancer but just want to welcome you to the sight. Glad you got a puppy to help you, there is something about animals that we don’t understand, and that is there attachment to us when we are sick and how they make us feel better.

Tim Hondo

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    Welcome to the H&N Group

I have had the neck dissection on both sides and they removed 86 glands. They took my larnyx so the "adams apple" is gone and my neck goes in. I am and most likely will always be numb on my left side of my neck to my chin. Some ever get problems with there sholder, but I did not. I is hard to turn my head to eather side and I have to take muscle relaxers so I can turn it to drive. Looks like I will be on them forever. I did have a lot of swelling in my neck from the surgery but it did go away. If you ckick on my name it will take you to my page and then go to expressions and tou can see the photos and the swelling. I do hope your swelling goes away and you will get better then. Best to you.

Bill

• hoopybunny
    hoopybunny Member Posts: 2
    Options
    me too

I also had a partial glossectomy and a neck dissedtion. My tongue operation was Feb 2015 and neck dissection was April 2015. I have a "pouch" at the front of my neck but it is ever so slowly getting smaller. I've seen 2 surgeons at the Princess Margaret in Toronto and the have assured me my pouch will flatten out...it just takes more time in some people. They found 2 out of the 25 removed lymph nodes to be encapsilated cancer so am doing 30 radiation treatments. how long ago was your surgery? maybe you just need more time. So glad your puppy heals your soul. Animals are angels without wings

blessings

Kathie

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Welcome to this great forum!

Your lymph nodes have been removed, and therefore the lymphatic juices have to find another route to drain....the pouch on your neck will go down....it just takes time for the a new route to be established.   One thing about healing from treatment.....patience is the key....everything is slow!!

I did the same thing as you.....I lost my dog in the middle of treatments.....still had 3 chemo's to go, and decided to get a pup.....she gave me purpose and a reason to get outside everyday....many times a day.....and to walk to keep up my strength.  Dogs are GOOD for us!!

p

• lornal
    lornal Member Posts: 428
    Options
    Pets

I have never been much of a pet person, mostly because of the smells.  I had a total laryngectomy january 2014, and with it comes decrease smelling capability (no movement of air through the nose). Well, now I have a dog and a cat.  What a joy they have been.

Lorna  2007 & 2014

• Duggie88
    Duggie88 Member Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Neck dissection

I had a full neck dissection and had swelling for quite some time. I went to PT for about 6 months for that and a shoulder issues because of the operation. Now my neck just looks 20 years older than the rest of my body.

We had a golden retriever who was 14 years old during my ordeal. His health went downhill about a year before I was diagnosed with cancer. My last radiation treatment was March 30th and 2 days later we had to put him down. My wife claims he wanted to stick around to make sure I made it through treatment. I would have gone through 30 more treatments to keep him around. April 1st we had no idea our newest addition to the family was born and the owners for one reason or another put the liter up for adoption 6 weeks later. Now we have a 5 year old dumpster diving yellow lab named Kasie. He is staring at me now. We are thinking about getting another, I want a black lab but the boss wants another golden retriever.

Jeff

• slk2015
    slk2015 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    comments

Thank you all for your comments.  wmc--I have read several of your comments when just checking out the site.  You're tough guy.  (I read your page.  I guess I should update my medic alert information!  I had not thought of that.)

I don't feel so alone knowing others have gone through the loss of a pet while in treatment.  I intellectually know that has to be true, but it's helpful to hear from others who have gone through the same thing.

When I had the surgery, the surgeon said recovery could take six months.  I'm trying not to be impatient.  Some days my neck is nearly flat and you can see the scar, some not even close.  Allergies seem to aggravate this, which makes sense as there is more fluid that needs re-routing.  I really wish my surgeon had given me more information, but I do realize there are a lot of things only people who have gone through treatment would know.  (I hadn't considered my neck looks older than my body now!  I'm also missing three front teeth so my mouth is looking older too!)

• wmc
    wmc Member Posts: 1,804
    Options
    slk2015 said:

comments

Thank you all for your comments.  wmc--I have read several of your comments when just checking out the site.  You're tough guy.  (I read your page.  I guess I should update my medic alert information!  I had not thought of that.)

I don't feel so alone knowing others have gone through the loss of a pet while in treatment.  I intellectually know that has to be true, but it's helpful to hear from others who have gone through the same thing.

When I had the surgery, the surgeon said recovery could take six months.  I'm trying not to be impatient.  Some days my neck is nearly flat and you can see the scar, some not even close.  Allergies seem to aggravate this, which makes sense as there is more fluid that needs re-routing.  I really wish my surgeon had given me more information, but I do realize there are a lot of things only people who have gone through treatment would know.  (I hadn't considered my neck looks older than my body now!  I'm also missing three front teeth so my mouth is looking older too!)

slk not really, I just do what I can...

I tend to fight harder when someone will say you can't do that anymore. I guess i'm stubborn, and also very lucky. My first lung problems was when I was 28 Ithey think I had Valley fever, then the right lung collapsed at around 31, twice. I guss I never really thought much about it. 

Yes do update your medical alert, and remember, the medics,and police can not go through your wallet to look for it. They can only get your ID out so have it with your Drivers licence. My Brother had his back in his wallet and never saw it or called any of his doctors or wife. In your phone you should have a contact called I.C.E.  [In case of emergency] if they can get your phone they do look there. I have instructions for my wifes number and who I am so they can see all my medical info.

Yes pets are family too. Mine never really leaves my side if i'm at home. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Bill