Long term side effects from C/T chemo?

Options
ShakerMom
ShakerMom Member Posts: 10

Hi everyone. I don't really post much here, but have some questions. Have any of you experienced any long term side effects from cytoxan/taxotere? I completed four rounds of chemo just over two years ago followed by radiation. I recently had a follow up with my medical onc and she says that I now have an irregular heartbeat. She wants me to go to an onco cardiologist for a complete work up. I feel fine and am just so tired of doctors, I really don't want to go through more tests. I am beginning to feel like a professional patient. I know many of you have been through so much more than me, and it makes me feel a bit guilty about complaining...

Comments

• Gm2873
    Gm2873 Member Posts: 65
    Options
    I took Taxotere and had

I took Taxotere and had severe diarrhea (lost 40 lbs). i've been off it since Feb. 10 and still occasionally have some stomach issues, but most of the side effects are gone. I would definitely get my heart checked out. It seems I'm seeing some kind of doctor every week and it does get tiresome, but I know they're just trying to look out for me.

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Hard to tell

If there is something wrong with your heart early detection can save you. It is hard to tell if this is a side effect of chemo or not. I know what you mean about all the tests we take. But I'd go if it meant something that major. You shouldn't feel guilty about complaining. We all do that at one time or another. 

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Opps

Posted this twice. My computer was running slow and I hit the 'submit' key again thinking it didn't 'take'. Embarassed

• alabama_survivor
    alabama_survivor Member Posts: 85
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Hard to tell

If there is something wrong with your heart early detection can save you. It is hard to tell if this is a side effect of chemo or not. I know what you mean about all the tests we take. But I'd go if it meant something that major. You shouldn't feel guilty about complaining. We all do that at one time or another. 

Definitely don't feel guilty

Definitely don't feel guilty about complaining!!  It doesn't matter whether your problems are worse than anyone else's, or everyone else's are worse than yours.  They are still YOUR problems, and you have every right to feel what you feel.  Sorry you are going through this.

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

Opps

Posted this twice. My computer was running slow and I hit the 'submit' key again thinking it didn't 'take'. Embarassed

Long Term Chemo Side Effects

About 5 YEARS ago I had 4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere. I had persistently watery eyes for a long time. Two ophthalmologists had no answers beyond "this is a known side effect from Taxotere." Finally my optician did the most thorough exam I've ever had and discovered that my puncta had scarred closed. I was referred to an oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon who has given me some alternatives for a fix of this problem. While I never developed cardiac issues this has been a huge pain in the posterior.