Advice on Radiation

Gm2873
Gm2873 Member Posts: 65

I'm meeting with a radiation oncologist on Monday. I've got one bone met on the left sacrum that needs to be radiated. Had a mastectomy without reconstruction last month and am still doing Herceptin, Zometa and Letrozole. my Breast surgeon and oncologist are in disagreement over radiation to the chest wall. Breast surgeon isn't sure it's necessary, oncologist thinks I should have it. Going to talk to the radiation oncologist and see what she recommends.

I've done some research on the side effects and know that lots of patients have fatigue from it. I am already struggling with that because of all the chemo and surgery. If you had fatigue, how bad was it? Did you do your treatments in the morning or afternoon? Were you still doing chemo at the time of treatment? On chemo days, did you skip radiation? Were there any other side effects that were really bad? I'm worried about digestive issues because of the area they will be radiating in the sacrum. Did it make a big difference in bone pain for you?

lots of questions I know, but it would be good to hear from any who have gone through the same thing.

Comments

• I'maWinner
    I'maWinner Member Posts: 3
    Radiation support

Hi, I had radiation. Not at the same time as chemo. I took homeopathy after the 3rd dose and it really minimised the side effects for me. I was lucky to find a good homeopath that knew what to expect and gave me support to help with the burning. I did get fatigue after the first two doses but again homeopathy helped with that. And lots of rest of courseWink. depends if you are open to complementary support. I know it worked for me. Good luck!

• Gm2873

Radiation support

Hi, I had radiation. Not at the same time as chemo. I took homeopathy after the 3rd dose and it really minimised the side effects for me. I was lucky to find a good homeopath that knew what to expect and gave me support to help with the burning. I did get fatigue after the first two doses but again homeopathy helped with that. And lots of rest of courseWink. depends if you are open to complementary support. I know it worked for me. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I'll

Thanks for the advice. I'll check with my oncologist about any supplements since I'm still getting chemo. when I saw her the other day, she did not want me taking more than 5000 iu of Vitamin D a day because it could increase your Calcium which is not good for bone mets. She said that's why they check my calcium very three weeks to make sure it's not getting too high. So, I check with her on all supplements. I used to take Fish oil, but had to stop that because it acts like a blood thinner. Who knew?

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Copied Your Questions Here to Answer

Fatigue?  I can't say mine was bad, as I went back to work (educator) while I was doing radiation.  I only worked half days because of what my schedule was

Still doing chemo at the time of treatment?  No.  I had finished that about two to three weeks before.

Were there any other side effects that were really bad?  No.  With good use of creams, burning kept to a minimum -- not enough to postpone treatments, but I decided to take some full days off work because I was going back and forth in treating my burns with silvadene and then nothing and then silvadene.  It would have been too hard to fit that in while I was at school

Bone pain for you?  No.  I did feel like I did not want a lot of pressure on my rib cage then; even now (coming up on three years), I do not like much pressure on my rib cage.

Hope this gives you some info you are looking for to think about, as you make your decisions.

• Gm2873

Copied Your Questions Here to Answer

Fatigue?  I can't say mine was bad, as I went back to work (educator) while I was doing radiation.  I only worked half days because of what my schedule was

Still doing chemo at the time of treatment?  No.  I had finished that about two to three weeks before.

Were there any other side effects that were really bad?  No.  With good use of creams, burning kept to a minimum -- not enough to postpone treatments, but I decided to take some full days off work because I was going back and forth in treating my burns with silvadene and then nothing and then silvadene.  It would have been too hard to fit that in while I was at school

Bone pain for you?  No.  I did feel like I did not want a lot of pressure on my rib cage then; even now (coming up on three years), I do not like much pressure on my rib cage.

Hope this gives you some info you are looking for to think about, as you make your decisions.

Thank you!

Thank you!

• Jazzbear
    Jazzbear Member Posts: 10
    Radiation

Hi.  I had radiation one month after completing chemo.  The fatigue with chemo was really bad.  It got progressively better after chemo and I can't say that radiation had any negative impact on it.  I was still tired but radiation did not seem to make it worse.  My skin got red but really only as much as with a sunburn.  I never had any blistering or pain with it.  I did use the Aquaphor they gave me twice a day.  I had my treatment in the late afternoon and went home afterwards but I was able to work full time during that entire time period.  It really was not a bad experience at all for me.  I hope you have an easy time of it, too.

• Gm2873
    Advice on Radiation

Went to see the Radiation oncologist yesterday. Resulting plan is to do 10 to 12 treatments to the sacrum and nothing right now to the chest wall (yeah!). I was really not wanting to do chest wall, so glad she didn't think it was necessary at this time. Hoping I'll get rid of the pain with these treatments. Now, if they could just come up with something to help with the joint pain that the Letrozole causes!

• Jazzbear
    Jazzbear Member Posts: 10
    Gm2873 said:

Advice on Radiation

Went to see the Radiation oncologist yesterday. Resulting plan is to do 10 to 12 treatments to the sacrum and nothing right now to the chest wall (yeah!). I was really not wanting to do chest wall, so glad she didn't think it was necessary at this time. Hoping I'll get rid of the pain with these treatments. Now, if they could just come up with something to help with the joint pain that the Letrozole causes!

I definitely had joint pain

I definitely had joint pain with Letrozole for about the first six months.  It got much better after that.  The bad news is that I have noticed a marked thinning of my hair and my oncologist confirmed that is a side effect of the drug.  I am only two years into the 10 year protocol. Ugh! 

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Can you get another

Can you get another opinion?

I had radiation but odd man out...I had no side effects, NO even burning! (just a slight tan at the end) The Dr would ask if I had fatige andI would ask what that was? they asid IF YOU have to ask you dont' have it.

I had lumpecomty and ONLY radiation.

I wish you the best..

I am sure others here will have great advice for you.

DeniseSmile

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155

Can you get another

Can you get another opinion?

I had radiation but odd man out...I had no side effects, NO even burning! (just a slight tan at the end) The Dr would ask if I had fatige andI would ask what that was? they asid IF YOU have to ask you dont' have it.

I had lumpecomty and ONLY radiation.

I wish you the best..

I am sure others here will have great advice for you.

DeniseSmile

I had 34 radiation treatments

I had 34 radiation treatments after chemo and surgery.   I did them first thing in the morning and then came to work - worked full time.  The only side effect was the skin burning but since I was numb that really wasn't a problem - used the creams they advised.  I had to do my radiation at the hospital - so I would go even earlier and walk the "health walk" through the hospital - then go to my treatment!