Recovery time?

Options
Nana4life
Nana4life Member Posts: 78 Member

I was wondering what I should expect from recovery time for a laparoscopic partial renal nephrectomy? My husband will be with me the first day or two. Or should he plan on taking more time? I really want him to take more vacation time in summer when our whole family will be here for summer break. He has the time but he's works for a high demand rocket company that requires critical scheduling time frames. 

what do ya'll think?

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options

Nana,

Assuming a normal recovery you are going to be on the couch/recliner for the first week or two gettig up only to go to the bathroom. You may feel like making your own tv dinners after a couple of  days, but with a good tv and computer he can probably go back to work a few days after you are home. Hopefully he is close and flexable enough to provide further help as needed.

Icemantoo

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    icemantoo said:

Nana,

Assuming a normal recovery you are going to be on the couch/recliner for the first week or two gettig up only to go to the bathroom. You may feel like making your own tv dinners after a couple of  days, but with a good tv and computer he can probably go back to work a few days after you are home. Hopefully he is close and flexable enough to provide further help as needed.

Icemantoo

I would have him around for a

I would have him around for a few days if possible. Mine was an open partial but not bad recovery at all. I slept in my own bed upstairs (yes, no problem doing stairs) and went to bathroom on my own, no help needed getting in and out of bed or chairs. I made sure I walked for 5 minutes around the house every hour. It's important to walk for faster recovery and to keep your lungs clear. So while you may be spending quite a bit of time sitting or lying down, make sure to get up and walk every hour. What I did need help with is getting in and out of the bath tub as I didn't want to risk slipping. My husband, bless him, did the food shopping and cooking for a couple of weeks which was  huge help.

• Positive_Mental_Attitude
    Options
    We are all different.  I had

We are all different.  I had an open partial by the same surgeon as APny.  Thursday morning surgery, home Saturday noon.  Saturday/Sunday were a little rough.  Walked 2-3 miles on Sunday.  By Monday, I was walking 3 miles in the morning and 3 in the eveing for 6 miles per day.  I recall sleeping in the recliner for 2-3 weeks because I am a stomach sleeper an it was uncomfortable for me.

• Delarno
    Delarno Member Posts: 14
    Options

Recovery time, including the length of your hospital stay, depends on the outcome of the procedure and your overall health... But restriction from heavy activities can be weeks. In addition, you need to talk to your doctor about your diet. Foods that strengthen your immune system can speed the healing process as well. 

• fightr
    fightr Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Nana4life! I just had a

Hi Nana4life! I just had a partial nephrectomy ecxactly 1 week ago using the Da Vinci robotic surery. I was walking around by the next day, and went home from the hospital. By the second day after surgery, I was out driving around and shopping for a new bed although I get exhausted and need one or two naps during the daytime.  I stopped taking the oxycontin by the 3rd day and stopped all the pain medicine by the 5th day (motrin and tylenol). Other than that, I really have seemed normal since 2 days after surgery. The only thing is to not pick up anything heavy, such as a child, for a few weeks, maybe a month. 

Overall, listen to the body and do whatever it lets you do. Don't let schedules and upcoming holidays dictate what your immediate needs may be. Don't injure yourself, but also don't be afraid of this recovery. In my case, a uvulectomy was far worse than this.

• Nana4life
    Nana4life Member Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    fightr said:

Hi Nana4life! I just had a

Hi Nana4life! I just had a partial nephrectomy ecxactly 1 week ago using the Da Vinci robotic surery. I was walking around by the next day, and went home from the hospital. By the second day after surgery, I was out driving around and shopping for a new bed although I get exhausted and need one or two naps during the daytime.  I stopped taking the oxycontin by the 3rd day and stopped all the pain medicine by the 5th day (motrin and tylenol). Other than that, I really have seemed normal since 2 days after surgery. The only thing is to not pick up anything heavy, such as a child, for a few weeks, maybe a month. 

Overall, listen to the body and do whatever it lets you do. Don't let schedules and upcoming holidays dictate what your immediate needs may be. Don't injure yourself, but also don't be afraid of this recovery. In my case, a uvulectomy was far worse than this.

Thank you

Thank you. I am so glad you are feeling good. I'm sure you can't wait for the day when you can pick up your child again. I can not imagine how hard that is for you. I have my 3 little grandsons that I will have visiting in July. My goal is to be back on my feet and ready to rumble with them. If you don't mind,me asking... After the surgery did you get pathology report? Like stage, grade ? I know I have RCC but I'm unclear of stage etc. I want to be sure to have my husband ask the doctor all this after my surgery. Also do you feel better now that the tumor has been removed? 

so happy for you!!

• Positive_Mental_Attitude
    Options
    Nana4life said:

Thank you

Thank you. I am so glad you are feeling good. I'm sure you can't wait for the day when you can pick up your child again. I can not imagine how hard that is for you. I have my 3 little grandsons that I will have visiting in July. My goal is to be back on my feet and ready to rumble with them. If you don't mind,me asking... After the surgery did you get pathology report? Like stage, grade ? I know I have RCC but I'm unclear of stage etc. I want to be sure to have my husband ask the doctor all this after my surgery. Also do you feel better now that the tumor has been removed? 

so happy for you!!

Nana4life.   I received my

Nana4life.   I received my pathology report exactly 1 week after my surgery.  Each hospital may differ, but I am guessing it takes a least a few days.  If I recall correctly, they froze the tumor and surrounding tissue and sent it for analysi.

Fightr--excellent news!  Nice to see you bounced back so quickly and now you are on the side of giving helpful advice. 

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options

Nana4life.   I received my

Nana4life.   I received my pathology report exactly 1 week after my surgery.  Each hospital may differ, but I am guessing it takes a least a few days.  If I recall correctly, they froze the tumor and surrounding tissue and sent it for analysi.

Fightr--excellent news!  Nice to see you bounced back so quickly and now you are on the side of giving helpful advice. 

Fightr, that's amazing

Fightr, that's amazing recovery. Driving that soon? Wow! Good for you. Nana4life, same with me. One week for the pathology but your hospital may be different.