waiting for chemo as my tumor is growing!!!!!

christald21
christald21 Member Posts: 55

Hi

I first had ultrasound april 17. Since this time i have been diagnosed with IDC and hers 2.  I start chemo june 1. I still have a bone scan and ct and port placement this coming week.. My timor was2.5 cm.   I feel like it is growing before my eyes.  How fast can it grow? i am so nervous that it in my other organs. It is already in my lymph node.  Help please tell me i will be ok

Comments

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    I had my surgery postponed

I had my surgery postponed twice because I developed an infection that was slow in healing adequately, as it had left a small "crater."  So, I was told the first week of January that year that I had cancer -- two types, one on each side.  I was unable to have my surgery until the third week in february. 

I think one of my tumors was larger than yours.  I did have one lymph node affected on that same side.  So, on the left I was classified as Stage IIIA and on the right as Stage 0.  I ended up doing chemo after, as well as rads, because we took the approach of aiming for success.  I had the chemo because of what the path reports showed.  Radiation was already in the plan as was hormonal therapy.

Hope this helps.  I spent most of 2012 tackling this disease aggressively.  So far, so good.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

I was told that IDC is very slow growing...........it is what I have....I am Triple Negative IDC Stage 3C....  had the surgery about two months after the lump was discovered (April 2002) and the biopsy was performed........then had to have the port implant and didn't start chemo until October of that year........did not finish the radiation until March of 2003.  

Don't panic.........take deep breaths and hang in there............we are sending you hugs and prayers.   Glo

• Bluestwo20
    Bluestwo20 Member Posts: 1
    Scared.

I start chemo on Wednesday. Port installed on Thursday. I have stage 3 Triple Negative BC. I too am scared about the delay as this is a very aggressive C.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member

Scared.

I start chemo on Wednesday. Port installed on Thursday. I have stage 3 Triple Negative BC. I too am scared about the delay as this is a very aggressive C.

Who wouldn't be Scared?

I was so scared...and consumed with it at first.......but soon realized that I COULD NOT LIVE IN FEAR.   So I made a consciouos decision to let the fear go.......  I hope you are able to do the same.   I'm Triple Negative too... and now after the chemo and the radiation and all the rest that goes with it....and years of scans and blood work....I'm still here....and it has now been THIRTEEN years since my Lumpectomy and more than 12 years since the end of Radiation.

Hang in there........Prayers for Strength and Courage............   Glo 

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I was told that

by the time we are diagnosed the cancer has been most likely growing for years! We want it out immediately, yet most doctors are not in a rush. Depending on the size and location, some surgeons and oncos do prefer to do chemo first to shrink the tumor and squash out stray cells. In 2002, I was having my mastectomy 2 weeks after dx. However, I first felt the lump a little over 4 months. I had a cyst the year before in other breast, had my fist mamo andd ultrasound. The gyno said, I would get more cysts, so when I get them, see if they change over the course of a few weeks or so. Well, it didnt change so I figured it was another cyst. Went to my primary dr for uti, showed him the lump. He left the room, was back 2 minutes later, told me I had an appt for mamo next am. He said it was most likely bc by the feel and location. He was right. I was just lucky I got in to bc surgeon so quickly, and it was all due to a last minute cancellation so I got all 3 of the other ladies appointments. Fas forward 8 years. I had bone pain, my onco was very quick in seeing me, scheduling scans, biopsies, giving me a plan , (stage iv mets),. I then took close 2 5 months b4 starting chemo. I had 2nd opinions at Johns Hopkins and City of Hope, got the info back w/recomendations and went with C of Hope and my onco. He told me I had to act quickly, so while I was deciding, so I did radiation to help w/ the pain while making my informed decisions. Some trials could have disqual. me if I had been on certain chemos. I had the bone pain for over a year, and it wasnt until my2nd pet, that it showed up. This is when I was told a few weeks or month would not make a difference.... I wish you the best. As hard as it is not to be scared, I just decided the energy it took worrying was energy my body made to fight the c. They gave me 3 months if I did nothing, 6 w/ treatment. Now I am going on 5 years, and the quit guessing! Believe me, June 1 is coming up qui kly andd b4 you know it, you will be done w/chemo and on Herceptin thi king the time really flew by.

• Jan11
    Jan11 Member Posts: 18
    Delay must be for a reason?

If your getting chemo now, they have a reason and if I were you I would ask why?  Also, ask about re-ocurrence rate with masectomy  v lumpectomy and speak with plastic surgeon and look at the pictures.   Ask oncologist if he can feel any lymph nodes?   Rads are possible with lymph and that will kill the cancer in that area.

• Jan11
    Jan11 Member Posts: 18
    GlowMore said:

Invasive Ductal Carcinoma

I was told that IDC is very slow growing...........it is what I have....I am Triple Negative IDC Stage 3C....  had the surgery about two months after the lump was discovered (April 2002) and the biopsy was performed........then had to have the port implant and didn't start chemo until October of that year........did not finish the radiation until March of 2003.  

Don't panic.........take deep breaths and hang in there............we are sending you hugs and prayers.   Glo

IDC Stage 2B

Triple + ER+ PR+ HER + all indicates fast growing but I had lumpectomy and no nodes and clear margins but blood vessels present in path report so re-ocurrence still possible - just had port put in and will start chemo - June 4, 18 weeeks with 6 rounds and herceptin for 1 year and rads for 6 weeks. This will be a long year and then 5 or more years of a single pill every day.

Pray alot especiallly for strength for the next 6 months.   I am telling all the women I meet to do self breast exaims and mammo's.   So much easier if Stage 0 or 1

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Jan11 said:

Delay must be for a reason?

If your getting chemo now, they have a reason and if I were you I would ask why?  Also, ask about re-ocurrence rate with masectomy  v lumpectomy and speak with plastic surgeon and look at the pictures.   Ask oncologist if he can feel any lymph nodes?   Rads are possible with lymph and that will kill the cancer in that area.

My IDC was diagnosed in

My IDC was diagnosed in January '13   I was Stage 3 w nodes - 8.5cm    All I wanted was it OUT   But the Dr's agreed I had to do chemo first, then surgery followed by radiation    Now the little magic pill for at least 5 yrs    It's natural to want the cancer out of you but as my Dr's explained they wanted/needed to reduce the tumor before trying to remove it.   Fortunately the chemo worked and I had clean margins.   I just had to take it a day at a time and once chemo started I simply imagined that the chemo was in there eating away at the cancer.    Hang tough