Chest X-Ray ?

Options
Nana4life
Nana4life Member Posts: 78 Member

Is it standard practice for surgeon to request for you to have chest X-rays before getting surgery? My husband seems to think its standard practice before any surgery as a way to check for pneumonia. I'm nervous that it's for Mets in lungs check.

thanks

Comments

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    A big YES

Any surgery will require a chest x-ray, lab work, and usually an electrocardiogram.  It's been that way for at least the past 30 plus years.  They want to make sure there are no other symptoms overlooked; and they can rule out that the surgery caused a complication-or that something developed after surgery.  Consider it standard operating procedure.

I had two major surgeries about 6 months apart and had the whole list of tests for both.

Donna

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    donna_lee said:

A big YES

Any surgery will require a chest x-ray, lab work, and usually an electrocardiogram.  It's been that way for at least the past 30 plus years.  They want to make sure there are no other symptoms overlooked; and they can rule out that the surgery caused a complication-or that something developed after surgery.  Consider it standard operating procedure.

I had two major surgeries about 6 months apart and had the whole list of tests for both.

Donna

Yes, I had to have one too.

Yes, I had to have one too. And also an EKG.

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Yes

But they usually skip it if you had a chest CT. At least for me they did.

If you do have RCC, they'd usually want a chest CT (with contrast if possible) just as a baseline to compare for the future in case there are any small nodules already there so they can see if there is growth or not. Xray is not very good for finding small mets in the lungs.

Todd

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    todd121 said:

Yes

But they usually skip it if you had a chest CT. At least for me they did.

If you do have RCC, they'd usually want a chest CT (with contrast if possible) just as a baseline to compare for the future in case there are any small nodules already there so they can see if there is growth or not. Xray is not very good for finding small mets in the lungs.

Todd

Chest xray

A chest xray is standard for RCC to rule out mets to the chest which is where they would first appear. A Chest xray only shows nodules 8mm or smaller. Since mine 13 years ago they seem to be doing Chest CT's now which show nodules under 8mm which are most often harmless unless they grow which requires a follow up chest CT to check for growth.

Icemantoo

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    icemantoo said:

Chest xray

A chest xray is standard for RCC to rule out mets to the chest which is where they would first appear. A Chest xray only shows nodules 8mm or smaller. Since mine 13 years ago they seem to be doing Chest CT's now which show nodules under 8mm which are most often harmless unless they grow which requires a follow up chest CT to check for growth.

Icemantoo

As I understand, X-ray is

As I understand, X-ray is considered enough in early stage cancer, when chance of mets is very small. But in your case it is more a standard procedure before any surgery. They check for tuberculosis

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    Allochka said:

As I understand, X-ray is

As I understand, X-ray is considered enough in early stage cancer, when chance of mets is very small. But in your case it is more a standard procedure before any surgery. They check for tuberculosis

According to the Cleveland

According to the Cleveland Clinic, 90 percent of pulmonary nodules that are 2 cm and less are benign. So what is the purpose of having a chest CT just to detect a nodule that’s less than 8 mm? It’s not like they will biopsy it or do anything besides “let’s wait and see and monitor it” if they find something that tiny. So why not go with a chest x-ray, which is what my oncologist does? Even at 8 mm, it’s still something they’ll continue to watch and not do anything about so what is the need for finding it at 3 or 4 mm when they won't do anything about it anyway unless it grows larger. Am I missing something? I'm certainly not against CT scans; I'm just curious as to its usefulness in finding 2 mm growths they'll do nothing about.

• Max57
    Max57 Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had chest  x-ray before

I had chest  x-ray before surgery.. It's normal 

• Ree_Maryland
    Ree_Maryland Member Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    X=ray

I had EKG and chest x=ray before any surgery that i have had as well. 

• GailN
    GailN Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    APny said:

According to the Cleveland

According to the Cleveland Clinic, 90 percent of pulmonary nodules that are 2 cm and less are benign. So what is the purpose of having a chest CT just to detect a nodule that’s less than 8 mm? It’s not like they will biopsy it or do anything besides “let’s wait and see and monitor it” if they find something that tiny. So why not go with a chest x-ray, which is what my oncologist does? Even at 8 mm, it’s still something they’ll continue to watch and not do anything about so what is the need for finding it at 3 or 4 mm when they won't do anything about it anyway unless it grows larger. Am I missing something? I'm certainly not against CT scans; I'm just curious as to its usefulness in finding 2 mm growths they'll do nothing about.

90% of pulmonary nodules

may be benign but this is likely for the normal presenting population. RCC patients particularly for large sized, high stage and grade tumors have a higher riske of recurrence especially in the lungs which is the most likley location. Personally, I want to find out at the earliest stage possible so that a full range of options are available i.e. SBRT. Also, a biopsy is possible from 1cm onwards. So if the nodule was detected at 5mm with a CT scan, it can be followed with sequential scans for growth. If the detection is with a chest X ray then the discovery is later. For 6 month to annual scans, if the chest Xray fails to detect a RCC nodule then it has several months of possible rapid growth before another scan is undertaken. If the RCC is indolent, then possibly there is plenty of time and a chest XRay may suffice. It is all about weighing up the risks for your particular circumstances. If your RCC was stage 1, grade 1 at a size less than 3cm then the likelihood of recurrence is low and a chest X ray will probably suffice. However, personally with a high stage and grade, CT scan is my preferred surveillance method at least during the first 5 years.

• Bonzy
    Bonzy Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Chest x-ray

I'm a a stage III , grade III RCC and they did a Ct scan before surgery . was in hospital for seven days , home one , then back in for four days . While in second time , ct scan done again and found a 3cm nodule in left lung . so some times they can miss them 

• corey50
    corey50 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    THE QUESTION WAS ABOUT PRE-OP TESTING

not follow-up testing for mets. 

A chest x-ray has been part of standard pre-op testing for quite some time now. As Donna Lee said they want to make sure you don't have any pulmonary issues (not looking for mets at this point) that will either complicate surgery or cause problems with your recovery. If, as someone else stated, you've had a CT scan as part of your diagnosis (where they may be looking for other malignancies) then there is no need for a chest x-ray prior to surgery. In other words, your husband is right. LOL> Good luck and good health.