Question re survival

2»

Comments

• pilarica
    pilarica Member Posts: 44 Member
    Girl2 said:

Thx for your comments it

Thx for your comments it really helped . I need to stop focusing on stats!

shakes

Stats are not accurate..... I was diagonosed with Colon cancer stage IV November 2013 and I think that at that time they gave me about 6 weeks....... I had lost 25 lbs.  I think close to 2 ston!!! and I was already thin sooooooo it was not good. 

My son would make fruit shakes for me with cocnut milk he would put in the blender:

1 orange

1 cup of strawberries

1 banana

1 cup of coconut milk or 2 tables spoons of coconut milk powder.

It tasted good and I would drink 1 glass mid morning and one mid afternoon...... you can certainly add some vitamins in liquid form like drops and he won't taste them. The coconut milk has good fats that help you and the fruits are full of antioxidants and vitamins.

At that time my Dr. said eat anything you want......... I have gained my weight back, I have had 20 rounds of FOLFOX, surgery to remove my primary tumor, and now we are focusing on the liver mets. I am doing 5FU and avastin now. I do take supplements.... Turmeric, Limonene, Coriolus (mushrooms). 

I hope he will start eating even if it is 2 bites is better than nothing.

Best,

Pilar

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    jen2012 said:

What I've come to realize in

What I've come to realize in my 2 1/2 years here, since my husband has been dealing with Stage 4 crc, is there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to this disease. That has actually helped me cope a bit.  In the beginning, I was so desperate to cure him that it was a lot of pressure and worry.  Over the years, and reading so many stories, I've realized we really do not have a lot of control.  There have been folks that have done chemo for a very short time and passed away.  There are others that have done chemo for many years and are still plugging along.  Same goes with natural cures and "miracle" cures that are very expensive, outside of the US - some make it, most do not.  I wish I knew what the secret is!

I think it's your dad with cancer?  I recently lost my mom, not to cancer, but too early.  She was 68 and I talked to her every single day of my life.  It was horrible to lose her and I miss her every day.  I also know that she wouldn't want me sad and stressing.  I'm sure your dad doesn't want you stressing either.  I wouldn't be surprised if he would rather shelter you from all of the details. I know now that my mom did not tell us close to everything that was going on with her.  

But to answer your question, yes some people have been on chemo for many years.  I think Phillieg is around 10 years??

11 years, 3 months, and 4 days

but who's counting  Wink

It's been a roller coaster journey but you would never guess I have Stage IV CC and that I am still on chemo by looking at me. My profile photo may be a year or two old but I still basically look the same. The first couple of years were very tough followed by a bunch more where I had "The Erbitux Rash" but pretty much I have always been able to function normally. Keep in mind that often one gets a new "normal" from time to time.

PLEASE keep in mind that I am not the rule nor am I necessarily the exception. This is my journey. I too have seen people who have had the same diagnosis, the same treatment, even the same Oncologist and they did not have the results I have had. Some had better, many did not.

If I've said this once I've said it a hundred times. There is no right way or wrong way to treat cancer. The trick is to figure out how you want to treat it (Western/chemo, TCM, diet, new treatments not available in the USA, prayer, etc...) and find the best team in the method you've decided upon and go for it. I would add that if you are not getting good results then it's wise to reevaluate your choice.

There is NO magic cure. Many heated discussions have happened on this board because one person or someone I know who knows someone else did xyz and they are now a champion shuffle board player.

Two other things that I have found to be key are attitude and luck

• annalexandria
    annalexandria Member Posts: 2,571 Member
    abrub said:

I grew up with Frosteds

I grew up calling them Frosteds (Westchester County, NY).  We also had a unique term for subs (the sandwiches) - we called them wedges.  I love dialectic differences!  (Oh, in Rhode Island, a milkshake is called a cabinet!)

A cabinet??

What the heck?  That has to win the award for oddest regional variation for a beverage. :)