Chemo before or After Surgery

canuckliane
canuckliane Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I am newly diagnosed DCIS and invasive (DCI). I'm a triple negative grade 3 cancer - thus, very agressive but fortunately, still small (1.9cm).  SOoooooo I'm anxious to get this angry little blob out of me but have conflicting opinions. One surgeon says do chemo first and the other says it makes no difference so do surgery first. I just don't know as the issue is not shrinking the tumor as much as it is just slowing the growth. However, with a masetomy, we just take it out right?  I'm so confused as everyone has arguments for  thier case but no firm data to support one way or the other. Any thoughts anyone??

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Chemo or Surgery first

I was diagnosed with TNBC Stage IIa grade 3 almost 6 years ago. While everybody's experience is different I had a right mastectomy followed by 4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere. The theory was to remove the tumor and then to blast whatever could conceivably been left with the chemo drugs. Made sense to me. I think I would have been agreeable either way As long as I knew progress was made in ridding me of cancer. Since you are not comfortable with your doctor's plan of treatment I would suggest that you get a second opinion. You don't want to have any regret. I wish you luck. Please let us know what you decide to do.

IRENE

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    I had surgery first.

I was diagnosed with Stage 1 Grade 3 TNBC. I had a lumpectomy (and a redo to get clean margins), 6 rounds of T-C and 33 rads. I hope to be celebrating 5 years on 8/19/15...so far so good.

I feel that you have to find a surgeon/onc that you trust and follow their advice.

Good luck,

JoAnn

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I did not have chemo-but Had

I did not have chemo-but Had surgery first then radation for DCIS.

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155

I did not have chemo-but Had

I did not have chemo-but Had surgery first then radation for DCIS.

Diagnosed with Invasive

Diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and 17 days later had my 1st of 8 chemo treatments, followed by b-lateral w nodes on right and 34 radiation treatments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Neoadjuvant - Adjuvant Checks

I am not DCIS or IDC nor TN but did do neoadjuvant and adjuvant Chemo for IBC.

As you are getting differing thoughts about Chemo from Surgeons - what is the Chemo Dr suggesting?  If you haven't seen one yet, it might be a good idea to get their input before you make a decision.  After all - they are the experts on Chemo while Surgeons do know some about Chemo but their expertise is surgery.   Has your case been presented to a Cancer Board for the combined thoughts on TX plan?  Do you have any positive nodes?

Even with a mastectomy, every cell of breast tissue can not be gotten out.  Yes, the cancer will be removed along with as much as the Surgeon can get but every single cell can not be gotten.

Neoadjuvant and adjuvant are sometimes both used.  The neoadjuvant is to get better margins, shrink it.  Sometimes a complete response.  It also attacks any cells that might be 'floating around' but aren't established and large enough yet to show on scans as mets.  Adjuvant will attack any cells that might be left after surgery.   Most did not do both neoadjuvant and adjuvant - usually one or the other, often 2 different batches/types.  In my case though, I did 4 DD A/C neoadjuvant and 12 weekly Taxol adjuvant but most do not.

It sounds like you need more information.  Write down your questions and take them to your appt.  If you don't understand what the Dr is saying - keep asking until he/she explains it in a way you can understand.  Another idea is to use your smart phone to record what is said, you can then review it later hearing exactly what was said.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    My chemo was after, as what

My chemo was after, as what the follow up plan to my surgery was to be hinged on the pathology reports.  Initially chemo was a maybe, but the path reports caused that to change.  I had a double mastectomy for two different types of cancer at two different stages (3A and 0).  I chose to attack the disease aggressively, and so I had the double, did chemo, and ended with radiation.  Now I am doing hormonal therapy.

I have a co-worker who did chemo first.  I can't remember the particulars of her initial diagnosis.  I do know that the goal of the chemo for her was to shrink the tumors.

• alabama_survivor
    alabama_survivor Member Posts: 85
    My cancer was Stage 3C triple

My cancer was Stage 3C triple negative, also grade 3.  I had chemo first so they could shrink my tumor.  It was nearly 7 cm, and down to 4.2 cm at the time of surgery.  I think it might have started growing again, but he was able to get clear margins.  I also had radiation because I had a couple of positive nodes in the center of my chest that they couldn't get to surgically.  I was diagnosed 6/26/2014, finished chemo 12/15/2014 (4 biweekly DD A/C followed by 12 weekly Taxol), had surgery 1/15/2015, and finished radiation 4/9/2015.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    What to do...

Prayers for Right Decisions.........know that you will make the correct one for yourself.   I had a lumpectomy...then because the cancer showed up in the lymph nodes under my left arm...had to do the chemo and radiation.  Triple Negative IDC 3C ........this was back in 2002 and 2003 *******  a million blood tests and CT Scans and MRI Scans and PET Scans and Bone Scans later.........I'm still here.   Sending a hug....pls keep us informed.  Glo

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Different cancers treated

Different cancers treated differently by different surgeons.  There are general rules on treatment also on the size of tumors.  Get another opinion ASAP so you can start as quickly as possible.

Chemo came after bilateral for me.  My thoughts were if anything at that time was still lurking near the chest wall it may help eradicate it.  But you never know really.  Mine was not aggressive but was infiltrating lobular ER positive, plus the tumor was just inside the sizing that required chemo, so I was told.........

Hope you start which ever treatment route you decide to take soon.