renal scan to check kidney function.

jrzgrl66
jrzgrl66 Member Posts: 21

Has anyone ever had a renal scan to check kidney function status? I have to have one about 2 weeks before my procedure. What should I expect? Thank you

ps....does anyone ever part pics of their ct or mri scans? I can't find anything on wen that is simular. In worried about spreading. Shows it might be. 

Comments

• Here's the way my kidney

Here's the way my kidney function test went.  Arrived and received an injection of what I believe is a tracer.  Go back an hour after the tracer injection and drank 2-4 cups of water.  Lay on a machine table (similar to a MRI), and some strange looking robotic type machine surrounds your lower abdomen and takes images.  It's really quite harmless, but that machine is a bit strange.  The test measures the capacity and functioning of your right and left kidneys.  If you have a partial, they may do the same test 6 months after the surgery to check the function of both kidneys.

As to your second question, I am not aware of any such scans.  I would be leery of comparing my scans to those on the web.  I would be more comfortable putting my trust in my medical team to interpret my scans.  We are all fairly unique. If you are not comfortable with the reading you get, my suggestion is to get a second opinion. 

• jrzgrl66

Here's the way my kidney

Here's the way my kidney function test went.  Arrived and received an injection of what I believe is a tracer.  Go back an hour after the tracer injection and drank 2-4 cups of water.  Lay on a machine table (similar to a MRI), and some strange looking robotic type machine surrounds your lower abdomen and takes images.  It's really quite harmless, but that machine is a bit strange.  The test measures the capacity and functioning of your right and left kidneys.  If you have a partial, they may do the same test 6 months after the surgery to check the function of both kidneys.

As to your second question, I am not aware of any such scans.  I would be leery of comparing my scans to those on the web.  I would be more comfortable putting my trust in my medical team to interpret my scans.  We are all fairly unique. If you are not comfortable with the reading you get, my suggestion is to get a second opinion. 

Thank you for the

Thank you for the information. I do work in healthcare but in the Family  Practice field. This renal scan is something new to me.

As for comparing my test pictures, I'm always learning new things especially about my kidney problem. I have faith in my dr. I am just trying to learn more about why my particular mass has extensions off it (like tenticles called invadopodia). Most of the masses I have found research on, do not seem to have this.

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    Kidney Scan

I had one before I had my nephrectomy. It's something like a CT scan with contrast, but it's a video instead. It was 2 1/2 years ago, but as I remember they had me drinks lots and lots of water while I was waiting. Then when I was in the machine, (I had an IV in), they injected contrast while I was in the machine. It made me feel warm when they injected me with the contrast. I can't remember how long it took. A few minutes. Definitely longer than a CT scan. They used the scan to determine the relative functioning of the two kidneys. They wanted to see what percentage of the work load was being handled by which kidney. Because my left kidney was smaller than my right and they wanted to remove my right, they wondered if the left could handle it. I remember the doc say that he hoped they were within 5% of each other. Somehow out of this they get a picture of something like the left kidney is handling 55% of the flow while the right is handling 45%.

That's what I remember.

I didn't understand your second question in your PS.

Best,

Todd

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    todd121 said:

Kidney Scan

I had one before I had my nephrectomy. It's something like a CT scan with contrast, but it's a video instead. It was 2 1/2 years ago, but as I remember they had me drinks lots and lots of water while I was waiting. Then when I was in the machine, (I had an IV in), they injected contrast while I was in the machine. It made me feel warm when they injected me with the contrast. I can't remember how long it took. A few minutes. Definitely longer than a CT scan. They used the scan to determine the relative functioning of the two kidneys. They wanted to see what percentage of the work load was being handled by which kidney. Because my left kidney was smaller than my right and they wanted to remove my right, they wondered if the left could handle it. I remember the doc say that he hoped they were within 5% of each other. Somehow out of this they get a picture of something like the left kidney is handling 55% of the flow while the right is handling 45%.

That's what I remember.

I didn't understand your second question in your PS.

Best,

Todd

Jrzgrl66, was it your doctor

Jrzgrl66, was it your doctor who called it invadopodia? Because I came across this description of papillary renal cell carcinoma. It kind of sounds like what you're describing.

This subtype is the second most common form of renal cell carcinoma where the cancerous cells appear to have finger-like tentacles called papillae”

• todd121
    todd121 Member Posts: 1,448 Member
    jrzgrl66 said:

Thank you for the

Thank you for the information. I do work in healthcare but in the Family  Practice field. This renal scan is something new to me.

As for comparing my test pictures, I'm always learning new things especially about my kidney problem. I have faith in my dr. I am just trying to learn more about why my particular mass has extensions off it (like tenticles called invadopodia). Most of the masses I have found research on, do not seem to have this.

RCC Pathology

You haven't had the tumor removed yet? (Sorry if you said already and I missed it.)

You won't really know what you're dealing with until you get a pathology report.

Why did they order the renal scan? I don't think everyone gets it. I got it because my other kidney was quite a bit smaller than the one they were going to remove. If you're being considered for a partial, I suppose it might be for later comparison after the partial?

Best of luck to you,

Todd

• jrzgrl66
    APny said:

Jrzgrl66, was it your doctor

Jrzgrl66, was it your doctor who called it invadopodia? Because I came across this description of papillary renal cell carcinoma. It kind of sounds like what you're describing.

This subtype is the second most common form of renal cell carcinoma where the cancerous cells appear to have finger-like tentacles called papillae”

As for my renal scan, they

As for my renal scan, they want to make sure both kidneys are working at minumum of 50% each. About Nov. 2013 there was a small cyst on right kidney. That was all that was mentioned. Was ruling out a gallbladder attack.

This past year, thought I might be having issue with gallbladder again, so in for another ultrasound.  This time, the spot on right kidney doubled plus 2-3 more cysts.  Also, there is a cyst on my left kidney.

At this point, they believe only the lower lobe mass is RCC. My concern is I developed multiple cysts in less than 2 years. They will be doing an ultrasound directly on the right kidney prior to my particial nephrectomy.  There is also concern because the tumor appears to be reaching out. 

Doctor wants to preserve as much of my kidney as possible. I was told we don't know what the future holds. He used the example of a car accident and injury to kidney. At least I would have a particial on the right if the left was damaged. I know this sounds complicated, but after pondering his points, he is right.

Hope this explains it a little better.  I have been very over whelmed by all this. This group has been wonderful in address concerns and helping me feel I'm not alone in this!