Is this what your Relay for Life is like?

Options
TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

My oncologist's office decided to form a team for Relay for Life this year -- all the doctors, nurses, and administrative staff participated, and they raised over 12 thousand dollars!

The event was yesterday on the football field at a local middle school -- I baked cookies for them, and my partner Trace and I went out there after all the opening ceremony hoo-ha died down to show our support.

There were about 25 teams with booths and tents all over the field, lots of people sitting in the sun, games, frisbee, music...and not a single person walking.  I mean seriously -- not one.  I asked the office's Team Captain about it, and she said, "Oh, they're having other activities, so we don't really have anyone out there right now."  I also asked about the whole overnight thing -- who was going to be camping out overnight and walking at 3 in the morning?  And they all laughed and said, oh no, we're so not doing that.

I just have to laugh -- is this the Southern California casual way of doing Relay for Life?  I've seen the Relay materials that say in BIG BOLD letters "Teams must have at least one member on the track at all times."  Of course, the important thing is all the work they put into raising money for ACS, and I'm super proud of them for that.

Before we left, Trace said, let's walk around and look at the other booths.  Because no one was walking, it took us a minute to realize we were actually walking on the track!  So Trace and I can honestly say we (accidentally) walked 1 lap for the team!

I'm just curious -- is this the way your Relay for Life is, or are we all just lazy slugs out here in SoCal?

Cool Traci

Comments

• duck1255
    duck1255 Member Posts: 40
    Options

Our relay for life in northwest Ohio is taken very seriously teams do fund raising all year long and it kicks off on a Friday evening with the opening ceremonies and the survivor lap teams normally have someone scheduled to walk in set shifts all night long. There are many booths with activities and fund raising going on all night too when it gets dark they light the luminaries in memory of survivors and ones that passed away

• TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    duck1255 said:

Our relay for life in northwest Ohio is taken very seriously teams do fund raising all year long and it kicks off on a Friday evening with the opening ceremonies and the survivor lap teams normally have someone scheduled to walk in set shifts all night long. There are many booths with activities and fund raising going on all night too when it gets dark they light the luminaries in memory of survivors and ones that passed away

Luminaria Ceremony

Thank you for mentioning the Luminaria Ceremony -- I definitely didn't mean to imply that that isn't taken seriously.  

Several members of the office staff have family members who are either cancer survivors or have passed away from cancer, and said they had invited their families to the Luminaria Ceremony in the evening.  And there have been signs up in the office for the past few months inviting patients who weren't able to be at the Relay to dedicate luminarias.

So -- while my oncologist's office may not be much into walking or camping out -- they care so much every day for their patients, and definitely wanted to honor those who have fought cancer directly.

Traci

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Not sure what we do.  Years

Not sure what we do.  Years ago, before my own cancer battle, we attended a Relay for Life event for a few hours at the invitation of a co-worker of my husband's.  I am not sure what his cancer had been, as that was before my husband and I met and eventually married.  I know that there were tents and such set up around a track (and in the oval) at a local college.  We did purchase tee-shirts AND stayed for the one lap that survivors and their caregivers took.  I remember seeing in that a co-worker of mine as well as another friend who both were cancer survivors -- the second person's story being really amazing.

The extraordinary thing that happened that evening -- a warm, humid evening in mid-June central NYS -- was that just before "the lap" there appeared in the sky a double rainbow, as there were showers in the area.  Wow!

I am still deciding about whether or not to attend this year.  If I did, it would be my first time as an actual survivor.

• morgamed
    morgamed Member Posts: 75
    Options

Not sure what we do.  Years

Not sure what we do.  Years ago, before my own cancer battle, we attended a Relay for Life event for a few hours at the invitation of a co-worker of my husband's.  I am not sure what his cancer had been, as that was before my husband and I met and eventually married.  I know that there were tents and such set up around a track (and in the oval) at a local college.  We did purchase tee-shirts AND stayed for the one lap that survivors and their caregivers took.  I remember seeing in that a co-worker of mine as well as another friend who both were cancer survivors -- the second person's story being really amazing.

The extraordinary thing that happened that evening -- a warm, humid evening in mid-June central NYS -- was that just before "the lap" there appeared in the sky a double rainbow, as there were showers in the area.  Wow!

I am still deciding about whether or not to attend this year.  If I did, it would be my first time as an actual survivor.

It has become a "social" event

not an event for the "cause".  My previous company I worked at was a sponsor and I know they paid big bucks to have their logo and name on the event.  I didn't walk it I helped at the booth.  Overhearing the other participants about their "kick off" dinners the night before and where they had them had to cost in the hundreds.  A few years later I became one they were suppose to walk for and support with my breast cancer.  I was asked to participate or support the event this year and I choose not to.  I'm not saying all counties or states are like this but I can't waste my money or time not knowing where it ends up.  Now I take my money and support to the streets where I know where it is being used and how it is being used.  You know you are in a bad group when they are all in the cameras and press faces but once they leave the party is over.  Everyone scatters like raid on ants.

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    The first year on a team it

The first year on a team it was that ONE person at all times has to be on the track (they all slept over in tents and campers) There was pretty much someone walking around the clock , from what I heard, I was only there for about 4-5 hrs. THE light up bags-where so nice and balloon releases med day (IN memory of)

the two years I have gone they had a nice prepacked meal for all the surviors and their caregivers, with misc little gifts and trinkets.

MANY booths for each team selling raffles, good etc.

Denise

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I dont know if that is just CA
    I dont think I would have like the walking, although I did the 5k for 5 years for Komen. I felt really bad about Relay for Life here. In 2003, my company asked if it was ok to put me down to support. I said yes, had no idea what it was about. Then I was asked by many where I was for the dinner. I guess I was scheduled to speak at the kick-off dinner and be presrnt at the relay.
    I was new to all of it and didnt even know there was a dinner or walk. I guess it is pretty big here! 12 years later I still have not made it to that one. I was hit up by quite a few for a bit during that time, and seemed like there were breakfast things, luncheons, dinners. I have been to a few in the last year, but now pretty much limit it to the Cancer Wellness House functions. They have done so much for our cancer community here and I know that Komen and ACS and many other non-profits add to this. But I go to the support group, fundraisers, get acccupuncture as well as massages. So many people from our community volunteer their services.

I kind of like the way you describe. The walk without actually walking!
  • GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    camul said:

I dont know if that is just CA
    I dont think I would have like the walking, although I did the 5k for 5 years for Komen. I felt really bad about Relay for Life here. In 2003, my company asked if it was ok to put me down to support. I said yes, had no idea what it was about. Then I was asked by many where I was for the dinner. I guess I was scheduled to speak at the kick-off dinner and be presrnt at the relay.
    I was new to all of it and didnt even know there was a dinner or walk. I guess it is pretty big here! 12 years later I still have not made it to that one. I was hit up by quite a few for a bit during that time, and seemed like there were breakfast things, luncheons, dinners. I have been to a few in the last year, but now pretty much limit it to the Cancer Wellness House functions. They have done so much for our cancer community here and I know that Komen and ACS and many other non-profits add to this. But I go to the support group, fundraisers, get acccupuncture as well as massages. So many people from our community volunteer their services.

I kind of like the way you describe. The walk without actually walking!

Did not..

When I was diagnosed it took all my energy and effort to stay alive and that was for YEARS.... I was a Widow and my sons were not near.  My sister came for the Surgery and then I did not see her again or 5 years.  My friends at church were very helpful when they could be...but basically it was myself and Jesus... and there was no energy for walking...and also mentally I could not handle very much and stay focused.

I know they do great work and I think it is wonderful that they raise money....we are all different. 

• Jazzbear
    Jazzbear Member Posts: 10
    Options

I read this post yesterday and it bothered me all day.  It's very distressing to see that Relay is not living up to standards in some areas.  I am the volunteer Lead - Survivors & Caregivers for my local Relay.  My job is to seek out survivors in our community and personally invite them and their caregivers to our Survivors' Luncheon at Relay.  They are the whole reason for the event - to raise money for ACS so we can continue to grow the ranks of survivors.  We take our jobs very seriously.  Our teams hold fundraisers throughout the year and at the event.  Each team is required to have at least one member walking the track at ALL times during the 24-hour period.  We have entertainment and fun activities round-the-clock.  One of the most popular features is the Luminaria Ceremony at 9:00 p.m.  It is always touching and respectful.  I'm just sorry to hear that there are Relays out there where the participants do not play by the rules and make what is our landmark event a travesty in the eyes of the community.  That's not what Relay is about!