BRCA TESTING

Options
corey50
corey50 Member Posts: 111

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Is there anyone who has decided against genetic testing? I know all the reasons why we should have it done, but I'm interested in anyone's advice/opinions who decided not to have it done.

I was diagnosed with stage 1 bc 10 years ago and had another primary renal cancer, also stage 1 6 years ago. Thank God both were caught early.

At this point although I do worry about a recurrence and about other female cancers, I am more worried about my kids and what I may have passed on to them and making sure my daughter gets screened early.

Thank you to all and continued good health. God Bless.

Comments

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    I was diagnosed with BC in

I was diagnosed with BC in 2012     There was no history of bc in our family at all.   10 short weeks later my youngest sister was diagnosed with bc.   I decided to do the testing.  She did not.  We have 2 other sisters - one opted to test - the other did not.   Fortunately we were negative for BRCA 1 & 2.  However another genetic mutation showed up for both me and my sister w/o bc.  Because of this our Dr's were able to change the type of bc screening my sister gets and both of us for colonoscopy's.  

• corey50
    corey50 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    Lilly9 said:

I was diagnosed with BC in

I was diagnosed with BC in 2012     There was no history of bc in our family at all.   10 short weeks later my youngest sister was diagnosed with bc.   I decided to do the testing.  She did not.  We have 2 other sisters - one opted to test - the other did not.   Fortunately we were negative for BRCA 1 & 2.  However another genetic mutation showed up for both me and my sister w/o bc.  Because of this our Dr's were able to change the type of bc screening my sister gets and both of us for colonoscopy's.  

was the other genetic mutation

Lynch Syndrome? I hope you don't mind me asking but this is another test that the genetic counselor told me about. she suggested it because of my breast cancer and my mother had colon cancer. 

Thanks,