New member from Australia

Options
red750
red750 Member Posts: 10

Hi All,

I've just joined this forum, my username is red750, and my name is Peter. I'm a 70 year old male, and I live in Vermont, a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria.

On Feb 4, 2014, my son's birthday, I was taken by ambulance to hospital suffering extreme urinary retention and bleeding whern I tried to urinate. Without going into graphic details, I was sent to have a cystoscopy, which resulted in diagnosis of TCC cancer. An operation was arranged for March 4, in which I had my bladder, prostate and lymph nodes removed, and an ileal conduit urinary diversion introduced. I have now had a bag for 14 months. Pathology on the removed lymph nodes revealed that cancer cells have escaped the bladder, so to kill any floating in my system, I was put on a course of cysplatin and gemcitabine. My blood count got low, and I had three units of blood transfused. My chemo finished in August, and I have been clear since. My next check-up with CT scan is due on June 1.

I must say, I had negligible pain throughout the treatment, apart from the hours before being taken by ambulance to hospital, and very few side effects, apart from fatigue and dizziness. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my tests are clear.

I look forward to following this forum in the future.

Peter.

Comments

• Delarno
    Delarno Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Having your bladder,

Having your bladder, prostate and lymph nodes removed is a very drastic surgical procedure... Did you get a second opinion before undergoing the surgery?

• red750
    Options
    Delarno said:

Having your bladder,

Having your bladder, prostate and lymph nodes removed is a very drastic surgical procedure... Did you get a second opinion before undergoing the surgery?

Hi Delarno,
    My urologist

Hi Delarno,

My urologist discussed all options, but advised that radical surgery in my situation was the best option, other procedures could lead to further surgery down the track. Once I got used to the bag, which did not take long, there was little change to my day to day life. I cannot think of anything which I can directly attribute to the operation other than the inability to get an erection. Again, in my particular circumstances, that was not a big deal, as my wife is unable to have sex due to medical conditions, and that aspect of our life has been non-existent for years. This would only be a concern in the event of me being widowed and finding a new partner, but at age 70, that is a remote likelihood.

• red750
    Options
    red750 said:

Hi Delarno,
    My urologist

Hi Delarno,

My urologist discussed all options, but advised that radical surgery in my situation was the best option, other procedures could lead to further surgery down the track. Once I got used to the bag, which did not take long, there was little change to my day to day life. I cannot think of anything which I can directly attribute to the operation other than the inability to get an erection. Again, in my particular circumstances, that was not a big deal, as my wife is unable to have sex due to medical conditions, and that aspect of our life has been non-existent for years. This would only be a concern in the event of me being widowed and finding a new partner, but at age 70, that is a remote likelihood.

The results are in...

Had my oncology review today, after the CT scan last Thursday. The results are in:   CLEAR. Next scan in 6 months.

• HalBo
    HalBo Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    red750 said:

The results are in...

Had my oncology review today, after the CT scan last Thursday. The results are in:   CLEAR. Next scan in 6 months.

...that's awsome news red750!

...that's awsome news red750! God is good!

Hal