Scared, Mixed Emotions, Hopeful.....

Options
dcminmass
dcminmass Member Posts: 5

I'm Female 53, I had a breast lumpectomy (stage 2_ductal cancer)and underarm lymph nodes removed also 4/16/15  (2 lymph nodes were affected.)

I've postponed chemo. I'm not ready, I'm afraid, just want a month to not deal with this.

Oncologist is doing an Oncotype test to see if I am low risk. Maybe no chemo at all.

My surgeon says I should have a mastectomy in the future because of microcalcifiations in the same breast.

Comments

• Linewife7
    Linewife7 Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Sorry your scared:(

I am so sorry your going through this! I so wish I could help and give you some good advice but I'm afraid I am new waiting for a diagnosis currently! I had a breast ultrasound just this past Thurs. and am expecting a call by tomorrow for further instructions. There is no doubt the tech found something as she was measuring the spots that were painful. I do hope one of these fine ladies can help you here as they have been wonderful and a great comfort already! I just turned 52 and am worried because of intense pain in ribs, scapula,chest,breast,arm, ect. :p I will say prayers for you though and hope your answers will come soon! 

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    mixed feelings are only

mixed feelings are only natural-scary, confusing times...

I always took someone with me to my Dr appts as a second set of ears. (so  much to take in)

I'll check back to see if you put any updates..

Denise

• dcminmass
    Options
    Linewife7 said:

Sorry your scared:(

I am so sorry your going through this! I so wish I could help and give you some good advice but I'm afraid I am new waiting for a diagnosis currently! I had a breast ultrasound just this past Thurs. and am expecting a call by tomorrow for further instructions. There is no doubt the tech found something as she was measuring the spots that were painful. I do hope one of these fine ladies can help you here as they have been wonderful and a great comfort already! I just turned 52 and am worried because of intense pain in ribs, scapula,chest,breast,arm, ect. :p I will say prayers for you though and hope your answers will come soon! 

Thank You

Thank you, sometimes I am OK, then anxiety and fear regarding the chemo overwhelm me. I'm praying and working on relaxation, distracting from the negative thoughts. found out today my insurance will cover 90% of one test, the other has to be reviewed and approved. We'll see....

• dcminmass
    Options

mixed feelings are only

mixed feelings are only natural-scary, confusing times...

I always took someone with me to my Dr appts as a second set of ears. (so  much to take in)

I'll check back to see if you put any updates..

Denise

Thank you

Denise, my husband has been with me, I am OK with the info. Just the thought of chemo and side effects, maybe sick all summer is scaring me.

• RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Usually I thought if you had

Usually I thought if you had several locations on one side of cancer a mastectomy was advised, sorry.........  But I would not wait, I would have it done straight away.   Please don't panic............I had pre cancer cells in other side and two mastectomies this was with no lymph node involvement.  But your cancer could be a different type than mine and a different stage ect.  Mine, Infiltrating Lobular Stage 2 this one tends to travel to both and it had.  Having both done is good for eventually balancing both and getting an even look.  Reconstruction can be started the same day as mastectomies, even if getting chemo, radiation can be different.

Chemo is scary for most of us for sure.  Honestly, I sailed through it.  I only had four treatments compared to some others was very lucky.  You make your own decisions after getting all the information.   Someone here will advise you as there will ne a number of ladies who had the same problems and dilemas as you have.

Good luck I hope someone chips in soon.

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    After

After my lumpectomy I had to wait quite awhile....because you don't start chemo until you are all healed anyway...and then I had my port implanted and had to wait.  I understand that now you you do not have to wait after a port implant because it has all been improved so very much.    Chemo is definitely not a Cake Walk.........but it is doable and I wanted to Live.            Please let us know what you decide........we send you encouragement and hugs and hope.

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It is not easy to know what

It is not easy to know what to do.  For me, I just didn't want to be on edge longer than necessarily.  I chose to tackle my bc aggressively.   One bast had problms; the other showed signs of trouble brewing.  I chose a double mastectomy.  The problems on the left meant chemo.  I was disappointed, but I knew what my goal was.

Chemo (8) was doable.   I was surprised.  Maybe for two days I would feel queasy, but that was just the first four.  I was not a prisoner in my own home those weeks (16).  After my 2nd infusion I traveled about 750 miles round trip to a weekend family reunion, although it was a last-minute decision.  Ten days after finishing chemo, I traveled a similar distance over a four-day period and did well, although I took it easy.

Don't let fear keep you from making smart decisions.  You'll do fine.

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Chemo

I think many people have an idea about chemo based on how it was years ago. I had a very difficult kind (the red devil) five times and then taxanes after surgery. While it was certainly no cake walk, it was doable. Many chemo treatments are even easier than this. The anti-nausea meds have vastly improved and really help. I got into fighter mode and felt I could beat it. I just made sure to rest for the first few days after each infusion, eat bland foods, drink lots of water, take naps etc. After it was over, I felt good that I got thru it. I'm sure you will too if your doctor decides it's necessary. Whatever you do, keep coming to this site. All the ladies are amazing!! Best of luck, Anna