HI NEWBIES, WANT TO KNOW WHAT A BREAST CANCER JOURNEY IS LIKE...?

Options
nat_hu
nat_hu Member Posts: 7
edited May 2015 in Breast Cancer #1

Hello Everybody: (May interest you if you are new to breast cancer, May bore you if you've already survived your own unique journey...)

I started this thread because I know the anxiety of waiting, of being very afraid of what to expect, of not knowing where to start,  of not knowing what to do, and where to go  etc etc etc. I'VE ALREADY BEEN THERE these last 2.5 months now. As I was writing this experience at another site, it occur to me that I should copy and share my experiences here too. I want to walk you through it... If I can help to alleviate your fear at this point in your life, then I am happy to have contributed. Please bear in mind that since every cancer patient's  stage, grade, size, ER/PR, HER2 status may vary, that should be the major determinant of your treatments, tests and surgeries. Although you will likely get, at minimum, the tests I've already done. Still, getting an early overview can enable you craft your journey along the way.

I have had my tests and surgery in March 2015, (it's written under May 4th, 2015 Chemo #2 section below), and started my 1st chemo treatment last Monday, April 27th. I suggest you scroll down and read from the paragraph that begins with the bolded paragraph "When I was first diagnosed..." and then backtrack to surgery, and then to chemo. 

If you want a very quick overview, scroll down to where I have just added "MY BREAST CANCER TIMELINE SUMMARY" which will give you an overview of all the timelines I have undergone thus far.

It may seem like I'm jumping the gun here for you, if you are new to breast cancer. BUT, I strongly feel that if you have more ideas of this journey you will be embarking on, then I have no doubt that you'll find the bravery within you to travel forward. I have included a lot of details so that you can be enlightened, so that you know what you need to do when it's your turn. Some of the terms and names of drugs will seem daunting to you now, but believe me, you will want to learn all these terms, names and procedures very, very quickly. What I first came to this forum page, I tried to find such details of each segment of others' journey, but was unable to. Which is why I wanted to do it this way.

At the very bottom, I have included several links that are very good read, as well as one on the different types of reconstructive surgical methods available to different tumor location/size after you had your lumpectomy. It is quite interesting and informative. Forgive me, if some of you may find it too lengthy.

Regardless, I wish you well and may peace be with you always...

March 27th, 2015 (MONDAY) >>> CHEMO #1

Duration: 12 weeks weekly concurrent Herceptin + Paclitaxel (HER2+, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 2.5 cm, ER/PR-, Clear Margins, 0/1 Sentinel Node, Lumpectomy, Right Breast Reconstruction)

Initial Treatment: 4.5 hours.

(I) Pre-Herceptin Medication: Panadol (oral) + Benedryll (IV) 30 mins, including recovery time. The purpose of Benedryll is to help patient deal with the chill and cold that Herceptin can caused to some patients.

(II) Herceptin: 60 mins (about4 mg/kg). It was OK for me except that during the last 15 mins of infusion, the benedryll wore off and I did indeed felt cold and chilly in my body. I made it a point to request for benedryll for subsequent treatment and  in sufficient dosage that I don't feel the chill and cold coming on in my body.

(III) Pre-Medication for Paclitaxel (Ranitindine, Diphenhyramine, Dexamethasone) - It was explained to me that these pre-medication is to help prevent/reduce allergies of paclitaxel in patients. (30 mins + 30 mins recovery time).

(IV) 30 mins before the start of paclitaxel, I wore double layer food preparation glove, and soaked my hands in a basin of water filled with frozen blue ice. I also wrap my both my feet in plastic bag before soaking them in a basin of water and sufficient frozen blue ice  to last me through 2 hours** (30 mins before paclitaxel, 60 mins during, and 30 mins more after infusion end). My doctor said this could reduce the chances of getting neuropathy. He said it worked on the majority of his patients, although it didn't work on two of his patients. He did say it was optional, that it's somewhat inconvenient because I have to bring all these items myself. When the blue ice melted, I rang for the nurses in the chemo room to help me with taking the melted ones out and take new ones from my Coleman cooler box (if you like pictures of the list of items, please send a private email to me). I didn't mind the inconvenience if this means lesser or reduce chances of getting neuropathy in my fingers, hands and feet. Oh you could buy hypothermia gloves and slippers at Amazon.com. They cost about US$100/pair, and you will need at least 2 pairs of each. I prefer to go with the cheaper version.

(IV) Paclitaxel (80 mg/m2) - 60 mins infusion.

(V) 30 more mins icing hands and feet.

During chemotherapy, we were allowed to drink to keep ourselves hydrated, and to eat (I brought crackers with me) between infusion. I had brought along a 1.5 litre bottle of green bean soup that I had boiled earlier that morning. In traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), green bean soup (beans discarded) is believed to help to detox our body. I drink it between infusion. We can go to the toilet anytime. The nurses where I have my chemo are helpful, patient and wonderful. At this cancer center, there are two rooms for chemo, one with 76 seating and another with 28 seating. I requested for the smaller room. The sofa seats are quite comfortable.  In front of every seat is our own TV for patients to watch any channels we want.

When my infusion was over, I was anxious to go to the toilette for the 4th time. I stood up, forgetting that having soaked my feet in cold cold water for so long, it was numbed and red (not painful). I almost fall over and someone caught me. Lesson learned. Then I gulped down the rest of my green bean soup. I will say that I drink at least 4-4 litres of fluid every day. It seems to lessen any side effects. And my tastebuds did not change drastically, fortunately. Though I think it did for many people here in the forum pages. I believe drinking lots and lots of fluid helps to reduce the change in taste as well.

I was grateful that my sister was with me. When we got home, it was dinner time and I was quite hungry. I had a bowl of baby oatmeal with dried cranberries/raisins/honey. Then I gulped 1/2 liter of water. Then proceeded to have 2 large slices of cranberries/walnut multigrain bread, drank another 1/2 liter of water, took my immune system booster supplement, brush my teeth, and gargled my mouth with biotene (effective and important to have) to prevent sore mouth. Then to bed. I slept like a baby.

Comments

• GlowMore
    GlowMore Member Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    WOW

WOW..........that is a really great journal.....and I'm sure it was really helpful for you to do that..........

We do whatever we can to get thru this Monstrous Journey**    Just keep on hanging in there and sending you prayers for strength and courage....  I am thirteen years out from diagnosis and twelve from the end of surgery/chemo and radiation.  Survival is the name of this game............but we all survive in different ways and for different amounts of time.    Hugs sent your way too.   Glo 

P.S.  **  If you would please go to your Home Page and fill it out we could all look there for your basic information.   I didn't do mine for years....but have it fairly well filled in now....just click on our names/pix and you will be taken to our pages.  :)

• nat_hu
    Options
    GlowMore said:

WOW

WOW..........that is a really great journal.....and I'm sure it was really helpful for you to do that..........

We do whatever we can to get thru this Monstrous Journey**    Just keep on hanging in there and sending you prayers for strength and courage....  I am thirteen years out from diagnosis and twelve from the end of surgery/chemo and radiation.  Survival is the name of this game............but we all survive in different ways and for different amounts of time.    Hugs sent your way too.   Glo 

P.S.  **  If you would please go to your Home Page and fill it out we could all look there for your basic information.   I didn't do mine for years....but have it fairly well filled in now....just click on our names/pix and you will be taken to our pages.  :)

thanks...

@GlowMore...thanks for writing...yes, because I want to be able to remember it well, and because I want people who are new to this realize that the journey can be "good" when they realize what the options are out there for them.

I am very happy for you and wish you continue good health too. Have a fantastic summer...Cool

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    nat_hu said:

thanks...

@GlowMore...thanks for writing...yes, because I want to be able to remember it well, and because I want people who are new to this realize that the journey can be "good" when they realize what the options are out there for them.

I am very happy for you and wish you continue good health too. Have a fantastic summer...Cool

what you wrote is just your choices

NAT SG - All you wrote about is your individual diagnosis and what you have decided to do.  That is only your diagnosis and your short term results.  You can not ensure that everyone will be 'fine' forever if they follow ALL the threads you post all over.

• GlowMore
    Options
    Rague said:

what you wrote is just your choices

NAT SG - All you wrote about is your individual diagnosis and what you have decided to do.  That is only your diagnosis and your short term results.  You can not ensure that everyone will be 'fine' forever if they follow ALL the threads you post all over.

yes*

Yes Susan....but she will have to find all of that out for herself.............   at least here she had a place to Vent.

(a very long vent but whatever)...........  It is a little strange to be telling 'Newbies' what a BC Journey is like when you actually have not been on it yet..........but you remember what it was like at first.......we are hit by a Train and we have to do what we can to survive and that is probably what NAT is doing....just doing what she can to survive.

Love to you and to her.............and Prayers for all of us.........  

• nat_hu
    Options
    GlowMore said:

yes*

Yes Susan....but she will have to find all of that out for herself.............   at least here she had a place to Vent.

(a very long vent but whatever)...........  It is a little strange to be telling 'Newbies' what a BC Journey is like when you actually have not been on it yet..........but you remember what it was like at first.......we are hit by a Train and we have to do what we can to survive and that is probably what NAT is doing....just doing what she can to survive.

One Person's Cancer Journey...

• nat_hu
    Options
    GlowMore said:

yes*

l@ Rague @ GlowMore:

Look ladies, of course this is my Cancer Journey that I want to share with people who are NEW to cancer....I have stated that in my journey you may disagree. If you are, I have respectfully asked you to refrain from criticizing my Journey and MY decision AND specifically request that you start your own thread, and offer your own perspective. This is after all, a Free Forum to post, and you can share your own, however you please.

So please do not denigrate my experiences, knowing fully well that they are different from yours.  Do you think people who read my Journey do not know that, and is unable to decide for themselves what is truth or false? Please, DO NOT insult the intelligence of the other ladies here.  My Journey is for me to share, and who gives you to the right to say that I'm venting?

WOW, if you could't distinguish between venting and sharing so that the ladies who are new to cancer can at least know what to expect, then I feel so so so sorry for you....truly I do. What you both are doing is being patronising - and I do not really appreciate it. Neither will anyone who is still travelling this road.  Why is mine not a journey? The moment we get confirmation of our cancer, like it or not, we begin our journey....Do you think that only a complete journey can be written, not a journey started or one that's almost there? HOW VERY SAD, PRESUMPTUOUS AND ARROGANT OF YOU MADAMS.

Perhaps your own journey to them can be more enlightening than mine? Well then, why aren't you writing and sharing your won thread, and leave mine alone? I wont be going into your thread to do what you are doing to my thread here because I'm not like you. To me, More perspectives provide more information...it has only taken me like several days (more like a week) to put this cancer journey together and find those links....I'm sure you'll be willing to spend as much time and days to write yours, in as much details too because you care, right?

Also, wouldn't writing your own cancer experience thread be:

(a) a more productive use of your own time  than to pick on others?

(b) more educational to others? Thank you.

OR Are you more capable of using your time in a negative rather than postive way? If so, stay far far far away from me and others like me who cherish sharing more than criticizing. We dont need more negativity than is necessary already....or is it because you survive that you think those of us who are now travelling this journey won't survive as well? Really?

PS:

If you had taken the time to read my Journey in its entirety, you surely must have understood that I HAVE NEVER AT ANY TIME PROMISE ANYONE that everything will be fine. Throughout it all, I've encouraged everyone to do their own research, and provided suggestions as to where and how to do so, have I not? Or do you think the other ladies reading my thread would have a difficult time understanding? Again, you are underestimating people who could be just as resilient, if not more resilient than you and I.

Furthermore, Everyone can choose NOT to read, NOT to follow these suggestions. There is such a thing call CHOICE, and FREE-WILL, or have you forgotten?

**THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES IN LIFE. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT - BUT WE MAKE THE MOST OF WHAT WE CAN OF OUR SITUATION TO GIVE US THE BEST OUTCOMES BY VIRTUE BY OUR OWN DECISIONS, OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES OF THAT INDECISION**

• morgamed
    morgamed Member Posts: 75
    Options
    nat_hu said:

l@ Rague @ GlowMore:

Look ladies, of course this is my Cancer Journey that I want to share with people who are NEW to cancer....I have stated that in my journey you may disagree. If you are, I have respectfully asked you to refrain from criticizing my Journey and MY decision AND specifically request that you start your own thread, and offer your own perspective. This is after all, a Free Forum to post, and you can share your own, however you please.

So please do not denigrate my experiences, knowing fully well that they are different from yours.  Do you think people who read my Journey do not know that, and is unable to decide for themselves what is truth or false? Please, DO NOT insult the intelligence of the other ladies here.  My Journey is for me to share, and who gives you to the right to say that I'm venting?

WOW, if you could't distinguish between venting and sharing so that the ladies who are new to cancer can at least know what to expect, then I feel so so so sorry for you....truly I do. What you both are doing is being patronising - and I do not really appreciate it. Neither will anyone who is still travelling this road.  Why is mine not a journey? The moment we get confirmation of our cancer, like it or not, we begin our journey....Do you think that only a complete journey can be written, not a journey started or one that's almost there? HOW VERY SAD, PRESUMPTUOUS AND ARROGANT OF YOU MADAMS.

Perhaps your own journey to them can be more enlightening than mine? Well then, why aren't you writing and sharing your won thread, and leave mine alone? I wont be going into your thread to do what you are doing to my thread here because I'm not like you. To me, More perspectives provide more information...it has only taken me like several days (more like a week) to put this cancer journey together and find those links....I'm sure you'll be willing to spend as much time and days to write yours, in as much details too because you care, right?

Also, wouldn't writing your own cancer experience thread be:

(a) a more productive use of your own time  than to pick on others?

(b) more educational to others? Thank you.

OR Are you more capable of using your time in a negative rather than postive way? If so, stay far far far away from me and others like me who cherish sharing more than criticizing. We dont need more negativity than is necessary already....or is it because you survive that you think those of us who are now travelling this journey won't survive as well? Really?

PS:

If you had taken the time to read my Journey in its entirety, you surely must have understood that I HAVE NEVER AT ANY TIME PROMISE ANYONE that everything will be fine. Throughout it all, I've encouraged everyone to do their own research, and provided suggestions as to where and how to do so, have I not? Or do you think the other ladies reading my thread would have a difficult time understanding? Again, you are underestimating people who could be just as resilient, if not more resilient than you and I.

Furthermore, Everyone can choose NOT to read, NOT to follow these suggestions. There is such a thing call CHOICE, and FREE-WILL, or have you forgotten?

**THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES IN LIFE. EVERYONE KNOWS THAT - BUT WE MAKE THE MOST OF WHAT WE CAN OF OUR SITUATION TO GIVE US THE BEST OUTCOMES BY VIRTUE BY OUR OWN DECISIONS, OR FACE THE CONSEQUENCES OF THAT INDECISION**

I choose not to READ

Wish this fourm had a "spam" button... Love my spam button....

• nat_hu
    Options
    morgamed said:

I choose not to READ

Wish this fourm had a "spam" button... Love my spam button....

One Person's Journey

So do I @morgamed, so I do...and that button works both ways too, thank you. I applaud you for exercising your choice. See it's not that difficult, is it.

And a BIG thank you again for proving my point here for me.

• victory14
    victory14 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    nat_hu said:

One Person's Journey

So do I @morgamed, so I do...and that button works both ways too, thank you. I applaud you for exercising your choice. See it's not that difficult, is it.

Negative comments

Natassha, when you reply to a negative comment, it is like getting into a mud fight. You are bound to get some mud on yourself. It is better to stand above the negative. Not everyone will agree with your comments.

• GlowMore
    Options
    nat_hu said:

One Person's Journey

Nat Hu....

You need to check out the Expressions Gallery..........that is where your "Thread" belongs.........  This is a DISCUSSION BOARD............  You also need to fill in your Home Page to let the rest of us see what your Diagnosis and Treatment is.......we all don't have time to read that terribly LONG Journal you are 'Sharing' with us.  But honestly I can understand....because the diagnosis of Cancer makes us all a little off.

In my opinion Nat.....you are the one who is NEW TO CANCER.  But it is very good that you are fighting so hard........keep fighting.

• Augi
    Augi Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hello everyone...I am new to this site and am dealing with estrogen fed breast cancer in my left breast and all the lymph nodes under my arm. I have pre-existing conditions of Chronic Neurotoxin Disease since a child and Type 2 Diabetes for the past few years. My question is: Is there anyone out there who has had similar other health issues that has faced chemo, radiation and all the other nasty drugs that are dispensed for cancer treatment. I am not afraid of cancer but I am very fearful of dying from the treatment. Any experience that can be passed on to me? I would love to hear from anyone as I have been researching and have come up with nothing. My doctors all just ignore my questions even though I was told in the very first meeting that they would be treating me as a whole and not just the cancer. Neurotoxins happened to me as a child leaning to swim in the rivers and irrigation canals where I grew up. I have lived my entire life with lots of nerve issues because that is what neurotoxins do, they destroy your nervous system. It has been found that I have two defective chromosomes so that my body cannot ward off invasion in my system so the thought of putting lots of neurotoxins in my body for cancer treatment just terrifies me. I am going for a second opinion this week and hope to get some answers to my questions that my cancer team has just ignored. Thank you for listening to my rant. I hope to get more information for myself so that I feel like I can make a good choice of treatment for myself.