Options
2»

Comments

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options

looking forward to getting active again

but not yet. 

Any advice re: 5 days post BMX numbness?  (see post above)  I'm struggling.

Yes!

Yes I remember the numbness and I had lots of pain too. Now I have numbness completely on the incision line and it radiates out to my armpit and ends completely at the collarbone. The back of my arm is a bit numb too. I am completely used to all of it now and it won't take long for you to get used to it too. Of course you shouldn't get active yet. Be sure to do the exercises recommended by your doctor though. I got cording even though I did them, but that passes too. Hang in there!

• gracegotmehere
    gracegotmehere Member Posts: 19
    Options
    button2 said:

Yes!

Yes I remember the numbness and I had lots of pain too. Now I have numbness completely on the incision line and it radiates out to my armpit and ends completely at the collarbone. The back of my arm is a bit numb too. I am completely used to all of it now and it won't take long for you to get used to it too. Of course you shouldn't get active yet. Be sure to do the exercises recommended by your doctor though. I got cording even though I did them, but that passes too. Hang in there!

It amazes me how we do get

It amazes me how we do get used to these strange, new things.  No choice, I guess.  I appreciate the encouragement. My doctor hasn't recommmended any exercises yet, but I'm just 6 days out from surgery.  Thanks for your confidence that it won't take long for me to get used to it...

• desertgirl947
    desertgirl947 Member Posts: 653 Member
    Options

5 days post BMX numbness

I have been doing well with recovery, stripping my own drains, moving around my house, then resting.  However, I was unprepared for how frightening and disorienting the numbness is. I'm sorry to complain-- it's all new to me.  With sutures going more than half-way around my torso, the numbness includes that whole area, my sternum sometimes up to my chin and lips, my right arm a lot and my left arm at times.  I called my dr. on Friday and she said it was normal and would settle down, but what I read online (reputable places only) indicates that is the rosy picture.  

Is there anything I can do to help this?  I always take melatonin at night, and when my son had a concussion last year it was prescribed to him to promote deeper sleep because "that is where brain healing happens".  I will continue taking it hoping deep sleep is where nerve healing happens too!  I am feeling really discouraged by this.  There seem to be so many **** aspects about the "new normal" after / with cancer.

I am three years (Feb) past

I am three years (Feb) past my surgery.  I have a scar that goes armpit to armpit.  I am still numb either side of that area, although from time to time, as I move about, I get prickley sensations.  I don't recall numbness elsewhere, but I do know that I was tight for quite some time.  I had the drains.  I did sleep in a recliner for about three months, as that was what worked best for me to get a decent sleep.

It does take time to get things figured out.  I will admit that I sometimes am just tired of this; however, I am thankful to be where I am and doing as well as I am.

Hang in there.